Collagen and High Collagen Foods Cause Sleep, Itching, Skin, and Gut Issues… Why?

Silversurfer

Hello.
I’ve had gut issues and recurring candidiasis for about a decade. Initially found that the candida diet helped. But with each recurrence and strict limiting carbs, the results slowly but surely reduced. I’ve realized via the Ray Peat ideology that the reduction in results was because I was dinging my metabolism each time I did this.

The most recent bout, I restricted my diet down and it didn’t resolve which led me to run a carnivore diet. I ran it for 8 months 😅 Then began researching the bioenergetic view which connected many dots and I slowly have reintroduced sugars, now able to consume quite a lot per day. I eat lots of citrus, blueberries, fruit juices, and some low antinutrient vegetables like carrots and radishes. And I eat almost exclusively 100% grass fed red meats. Mostly beef and bison. I make sure to get plenty of good saturated/monounsaturated fats.

However, I have noticed when I slow cook and eat foods like oxtail and short ribs, especially if I eat a lot, I will get itchy. Last night it happened and oh man. It kept me up all night and I’m even still a little itchy this am. I’m trying to figure out exactly what it is though. I tolerate all red meat super well typically. Its almost always when I slow cook and eat higher connective tissue/collagen foods. So I’m not sure if it’s the collagen or maybe histamine? Although, with the histamine thing, I almost never react this way unless I eat those high connective tissue foods slow cooked.

Any ideas? This one is stumping me.

RealNeat

Take an antihistamine and see if it helps, if so, it's likely the histamine, if not it might be too much glutamine causing excitation.

The beat things for candida overgrowth are 1. Not starving yourself 2. Pau D Arco tincture (not tea)

OP
S

Silversurfer

Take an antihistamine and see if it helps, if so, it's likely the histamine, if not it might be too much glutamine causing excitation.

The beat things for candida overgrowth are 1. Not starving yourself 2. Pau D Arco tincture (not tea)
Thanks. I'm kind of scared of the collagen now. Its just weird because I eat meat all the time and have no issue. I also used to drink coffee and it didn't seem to trigger it. I'm definitely doing the opposite of starving myself these days. I've tried Pau D'Arco before but maybe I'll give it another shot and experiment with dosage. I know it has a lot of antinutrients but perhaps in tincture or extract form that they have been reduced/eliminated

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Hello.
I’ve had gut issues and recurring candidiasis for about a decade. Initially found that the candida diet helped. But with each recurrence and strict limiting carbs, the results slowly but surely reduced. I’ve realized via the Ray Peat ideology that the reduction in results was because I was dinging my metabolism each time I did this.

The most recent bout, I restricted my diet down and it didn’t resolve which led me to run a carnivore diet. I ran it for 8 months 😅 Then began researching the bioenergetic view which connected many dots and I slowly have reintroduced sugars, now able to consume quite a lot per day. I eat lots of citrus, blueberries, fruit juices, and some low antinutrient vegetables like carrots and radishes. And I eat almost exclusively 100% grass fed red meats. Mostly beef and bison. I make sure to get plenty of good saturated/monounsaturated fats.

However, I have noticed when I slow cook and eat foods like oxtail and short ribs, especially if I eat a lot, I will get itchy. Last night it happened and oh man. It kept me up all night and I’m even still a little itchy this am. I’m trying to figure out exactly what it is though. I tolerate all red meat super well typically. Its almost always when I slow cook and eat higher connective tissue/collagen foods. So I’m not sure if it’s the collagen or maybe histamine? Although, with the histamine thing, I almost never react this way unless I eat those high connective tissue foods slow cooked.

Any ideas? This one is stumping me.

My bet would be it is due to Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs, no P for some reason) since you are cooking things for a long time, and so they have plenty time to form. Heterocyclic aromatic amines and acrylamide, but likely plenty more. They make food look golden/brown. Not just the maillard reaction - it gets super complicated.

Here is an article on them: Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs): A Complete Overview

A paper on them: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4648888/

Personally they give me a throbbing 24 hour headache and a night sweat so obviously I'm not keen on that so I cook everything lightly and avoid frying/grilling/any method that is either >100 deg C. So basically I keep food wet, catch it just before it dries out on the surface and starts going golden /brown.

You could try it, might help. I'd wrap the joints you cook, or avoid eating any browned bits - and don't eat the juice whatever you do, thats a concentrated part of it since all the brown outside has dripped down into it.

RealNeat

Thanks. I'm kind of scared of the collagen now. Its just weird because I eat meat all the time and have no issue. I also used to drink coffee and it didn't seem to trigger it. I'm definitely doing the opposite of starving myself these days. I've tried Pau D'Arco before but maybe I'll give it another shot and experiment with dosage. I know it has a lot of antinutrients but perhaps in tincture or extract form that they have been reduced/eliminated
I wouldn't worry about anti nutrients as it's not something that you'll eat for a long period of time, it has many beneficial compounds that Ray also talks about, the tinctureay exclude unfavorables but the main reason for the extract is because the water extracts aka tea is not effective

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals