Even if you try an agonist combo it will still have to compete with the cyproheptadine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 99022
Such_Saturation said:
post 97356 It will release dopamine into your brain. You can check many reports on various forums. But definitely something you don't want to overdo.
It will release dopamine but you receptors for it will be blocked by cypro so I am not sure this will work. Probably they won't be so much blocked so trying the combo seems legit.

As far as I can tell, at reasonable concentrations (8mg or less in a single dose) cyproheptadine is only antagonistic to the D3 receptor. Taking it with 1mg - 2mg bromocriptine should favor D3 agonism as the affinity of bromocriptine for D3 is stronger than cyproheptadine's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makrosky

haidut said:
post 99027
Makrosky said:
post 99022
Such_Saturation said:
post 97356 It will release dopamine into your brain. You can check many reports on various forums. But definitely something you don't want to overdo.
It will release dopamine but you receptors for it will be blocked by cypro so I am not sure this will work. Probably they won't be so much blocked so trying the combo seems legit.

As far as I can tell, at reasonable concentrations (8mg or less in a single dose) cyproheptadine is only antagonistic to the D3 receptor. Taking it with 1mg - 2mg bromocriptine should favor D3 agonism as the affinity of bromocriptine for D3 is stronger than cyproheptadine's.

Good to know haidut! Thanks! Would there be another way of achieving that without using an extra pharma drug like bromocriptine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 99102
haidut said:
post 99027
Makrosky said:
post 99022
Such_Saturation said:

Good to know haidut! Thanks! Would there be another way of achieving that without using an extra pharma drug like bromocriptine?

I don't know of natural substances that are specific to the D3 receptor. However, the L-Dopa method mentioned in the thread is probably a good idea or you can also try the BCAA + tyrosine combo.

Fletcher

My experience = I tried Cypro for 1 week, taking 0.25 - 0.5mg each night (1mg on day one had left me thick-headed the day after). Although I slept through until the alarm on each occasion I did not feel more refreshed than usual for it. My body temp. went down slightly when taking it, then came up again when I stopped, so I'm discontinuing for now.

Parsifal

haidut said:
Definitely cyproheptadine. As far as I know mirtazapine was specifically developed to NOT have the anticholinergic effects of cypro.

Does cypro impair short term memory and the ability to dream like marijuana then?

Parsifal

haidut said:
Choline is excitotoxic in high doses, and Peat has written about it. A few years ago cholinergic drugs were expected to cure Alzheimer's but ended up as complete failure. It is the anticholinergic drugs (like cypro) that improve memory and neurogenesis.

How come that marijuana impairs short term memory if anti-cholinergic drugs are good for memory?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 99710
haidut said:
Choline is excitotoxic in high doses, and Peat has written about it. A few years ago cholinergic drugs were expected to cure Alzheimer's but ended up as complete failure. It is the anticholinergic drugs (like cypro) that improve memory and neurogenesis.

How come that marijuana impairs short term memory if anti-cholinergic drugs are good for memory?

Anti-cholinergic drugs are good for the brain, even if they seem to impair short term memory. Choline, cocaine, and estrogen "improve" memory through the same mechanism - i.e. excitotoxicity. Anything that excites the brain cells will probably improve memory in the short run but in the long run will kill brain cells and cause some type of neurodegenerative condition. Just look at all the trials for Alzheimers using cholinergic drugs - i.e. they all failed.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4229

docall18

Fletcher said:
post 99423 My experience = I tried Cypro for 1 week, taking 0.25 - 0.5mg each night (1mg on day one had left me thick-headed the day after). Although I slept through until the alarm on each occasion I did not feel more refreshed than usual for it. My body temp. went down slightly when taking it, then came up again when I stopped, so I'm discontinuing for now.

Yes i had a similar experience. When i took 4mg cypro during the day it totally wiped me. My cortisol went too low and I had bad low cortisol symptoms. The next day however i felt great as my cortisol rebounded.

Then taking 1mg before bed - slept good initially. Then I started waking up with puffy eyes. (A definite low thyroid symptom for me.) I also was cold during the day, I am usually very warm. I was calmer than usual but my motivation was down. I felt very hypothyroid.

My explanation is that the cypro lowered cortisol. This was ok initially as the cortisol rebounded and i would feel ok the next day. However after a couple of days my cortisol stayed conically low. This prevented my thyroid hormones being used properly causing functional hypothyroidism.

Peata

Could the cypro have just uncovered where your too-high cortisol had been trying to compensate for hypothyroidism?

docall18

Peata said:
post 100946 Could the cypro have just uncovered where your too-high cortisol had been trying to compensate for hypothyroidism?

Yes it could be something along that line. However i take 3 grains of NDT and my TSH is very low and my free t3 is near top of the range. I previously had increased my thyroid up to 5 grains but felt hyper.

I might continue with the cypro for a few more days. I do feel a lot calmer and more balanced on it, just cold and low energy. It could well have just uncovered high adrenaline keeping my metabolism high.

Strangely it has also reduced my apatite.

khan

Medicine which I have tried so far are lisuride, cyproheptadine, mirtazapine. Cyproheptadine suits me very well, haven't got any sedation on 4 mg. Cypro clearly reduces my ocd symptoms and depression. Next I would like to try is amitryptaline. Which is better option between cypro and amitryptaline in terms of safety?

answersfound

khan said:
Medicine which I have tried so far are lisuride, cyproheptadine, mirtazapine. Cyproheptadine suits me very well, haven't got any sedation on 4 mg. Cypro clearly reduces my ocd symptoms and depression. Next I would like to try is amitryptaline. Which is better option between cypro and amitryptaline in terms of safety?

I've taken amitriptyline and I think it increased adrenaline but it reduced serotonin. I think cypro is better.

Peata

docall18 said:
post 100948
Peata said:
post 100946 Could the cypro have just uncovered where your too-high cortisol had been trying to compensate for hypothyroidism?

Yes it could be something along that line. However i take 3 grains of NDT and my TSH is very low and my free t3 is near top of the range. I previously had increased my thyroid up to 5 grains but felt hyper.

I might continue with the cypro for a few more days. I do feel a lot calmer and more balanced on it, just cold and low energy. It could well have just uncovered high adrenaline keeping my metabolism high.

Strangely it has also reduced my apatite.

Might try a little less cypro. Some recommend 1/2 - 1 mg. per day.

tara

khan said:
post 101044 Medicine which I have tried so far are lisuride, cyproheptadine, mirtazapine. Cyproheptadine suits me very well, haven't got any sedation on 4 mg. Cypro clearly reduces my ocd symptoms and depression. Next I would like to try is amitryptaline. Which is better option between cypro and amitryptaline in terms of safety?

I think Peat has recommended cyproheptadine form time to time, but I've not seen him recommend amitryptaline except in response to a direct question about it, to which he seemed to suggest it was probably reasonably OK, IIRC.
I've used both, and prefer the cyproheptadine. Both make me sleep long at low doses. I was prescribed 10mg amitryptaline, and told that the usual dose was 75-150 mg. Even 3mg would make me sleep more than 8 hrs.

Peata said:
post 101052 Might try a little less cypro. Some recommend 1/2 - 1 mg. per day.
I get noticable effects from 1/2mg (1/8 of 4mg tablet).

docall18

Peata said:
post 101052 Might try a little less cypro. Some recommend 1/2 - 1 mg. per day.

Actually stopped taking the 3 grains of NDT and started taking 30mg T3. The low thyroid symptoms went away immediately.

Apparently 25mg of T3 equivalent to 1 grain of NDT. So I have reduced my dose and am on just over the equivalent of 1 grain of NDT.

By this reckoning I must have had an issue with reverse T3. Possibly caused in part by a too low TSH. I had been on 4-5 grains of NDT a year ago.

Dean

Just as a follow up to my experience before. I tried 1 mg before bed the other night and the next day fell into a deep despair within a few hours of waking that lasted for several hours. Perhaps I was flooded with serotonin after the dosage wore off?

I tried it again because on hindsight I felt that my taking of cypro had helped me with motivation(via lessening learned helplessness, I presume) for even a few weeks after I stopped (due to how much it depressed me.) Thought maybe I could get that benefit without the depressiveness with the small dose at night. So much for that.

It's great to hear that cypro helps some people, but I guess it's important to keep in mind there is some risk involved and the negative side effects, for some, can be dangerous. Hurtling into the mood abyss, but with increased motivation...for example.

Perhaps I will come around to trying cypro again in combo with lisuride at some point, but for now it's on to trying other things.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dean said:
post 102169 Just as a follow up to my experience before. I tried 1 mg before bed the other night and the next day fell into a deep despair within a few hours of waking that lasted for several hours. Perhaps I was flooded with serotonin after the dosage wore off?

I tried it again because on hindsight I felt that my taking of cypro had helped me with motivation(via lessening learned helplessness, I presume) for even a few weeks after I stopped (due to how much it depressed me.) Thought maybe I could get that benefit without the depressiveness with the small dose at night. So much for that.

It's great to hear that cypro helps some people, but I guess it's important to keep in mind there is some risk involved and the negative side effects, for some, can be dangerous. Hurtling into the mood abyss, but with increased motivation...for example.

Perhaps I will come around to trying cypro again in combo with lisuride at some point, but for now it's on to trying other things.

Cyproheptadine is known to lower dopamine in some people even though its primary effects are on serotonin. That's why for those people it may be worth it to try with a combination of a dopaminergic drug like bromocriptine, cabergoline, lisuride, pramipexole, methysergide, etc.

InChristAlone

Did you use caffeine with it? Coffee helps that mood issue as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals