Dairy Almost Ruined My Teeth - WHAT? (calcium Vs Phosphate)

Prosper

Recently I had been concerned by transparent teeth enamel and muscle twitching, along with occassional shortness of breath and insomnia. I thought I had magnesium deficiency, so I started supplementing with magnesium glycinate. No effect. Then I rationalized that perhaps I was deficient in D and K2. No effect.

Every symptom just seemed to worsen and worsen no matter what I did. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a new white spot of early decay in my front tooth. It had appeared despite the daily brushing and the "nutritious diet" I had engineered for myself. This was when I realized that I MUST be doing something wrong.

After logging a couple of days nutritional intake, I noticed that my calcium/phosphorus ratio was basically less than 1:1. I started looking up symptoms of hypocalcemia and hyperphosphatemia, and of course, everything matched. It was time to begin supplementation with egg shell calcium. All symptoms were gone in MERE DAYS. My teeth look strong again, I have no shortness of breath and no more twitching muscles. The early tooth decay disappeared too.

I had thought my calcium intake was adequate from all the cheese and milk I've been consuming. It WOULD have been without the massive amount of phosphate that came with it. It seems that controlling your phosphate intake is absolutely crucial. Peat was right again.

Peatful

Recently I had been concerned by transparent teeth enamel and muscle twitching, along with occassional shortness of breath and insomnia. I thought I had magnesium deficiency, so I started supplementing with magnesium glycinate. No effect. Then I rationalized that perhaps I was deficient in D and K2. No effect.

Every symptom just seemed to worsen and worsen no matter what I did. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a new white spot of early decay in my front tooth. It had appeared despite the daily brushing and the "nutritious diet" I had engineered for myself. This was when I realized that I MUST be doing something wrong.

After logging a couple of days nutritional intake, I noticed that my calcium/phosphorus ratio was basically less than 1:1. I started looking up symptoms of hypocalcemia and hyperphosphatemia, and of course, everything matched. It was time to begin supplementation with egg shell calcium. All symptoms were gone in MERE DAYS. My teeth look strong again, I have no shortness of breath and no more twitching muscles. The early tooth decay disappeared too.

I had thought my calcium intake was adequate from all the cheese and milk I've been consuming. It WOULD have been without the massive amount of phosphate that came with it. It seems that controlling your phosphate intake is absolutely crucial. Peat was right again.
Excellent.
Where was your twitching?
Focal/isolated? Random?

OP
Prosper

Prosper

Excellent.
Where was your twitching?
Focal/isolated? Random?
The exact spots varied a lot, but common areas were legs, arms and back and stomach. They never existed in the same place for long. Sometimes multiple muscles were twitching at the same time, but no single muscle ever twitched for long.

stressucks

It seems next to impossible without supplements to both:
1) Get RDA calcium
2) Have high calcium/phosphorus ratio

trew

Yep, I started supplementing with extra calcium and my PTH went from a high level of 40 to 16 in a couple of months.

Elysium

Prosper, how were you getting so much phosphorus?

Dairy is a major phosphate source, especially milk, but I think farmers cheese is the worst, in terms of Ca : P ratio. Aged dry cheeses are the best.

I eat a pound of farmers cheese every day, but I also eat three egg shells a day.

Vinero

So meat is better than dairy as a protein source because it has less phospate? I find this hard to believe. Ray said it's the calcium to phospate ratio that matters. Meat has a ratio of 8:1 to 6:1 or something, while milk and cheese have 1:1.

EIRE24

Dairy is a major phosphate source, especially milk, but I think farmers cheese is the worst, in terms of Ca : P ratio. Aged dry cheeses are the best.

I eat a pound of farmers cheese every day, but I also eat three egg shells a day.
How do you prepare and consume the egg shells? I am going to give this a shot as I like the OP have translucent teeth

SaltGirl

Have to echo Prosper's sentiment. I didn't start to feel good until I started to supplement calcium in high quantities(taking about 2-3 grams a day).

Elysium

How do you prepare and consume the egg shells? I am going to give this a shot as I like the OP have translucent teeth

I cook three hard boiled eggs daily, peel them off, and just crush the shells with my teeth. I don't swallow it until it is as fine and liquidy as it can be. Two in the morning, one in the afternoon.
The key is not put the shell in your mouth with any other food, as that will incite you to swallow it before it is completely crushed into dust. Large pieces of shell will not be absorbed by your intestines. Stomach acid is important for egg shell absorption, so perhaps not eating with anything alkaline is a good idea.

I hear of people baking the shells and grinding them, but who wants to do that? The less messy and tedious you make something, the more likely you're going to stick to it. This can't be any simpler.

Orion

I didn't start to feel good until I started to supplement calcium in high quantities(taking about 2-3 grams a day).

Calcium carbonate supplement? or eggshells?

I stopped eating eggshells, but I think I will start back at it this week.

squanch

Any sources of eggshell calcium out there in a pill form without added D3?
Not in pill form, but I use powdered eggshells that are sold as a supplemental food for dogs / cats. Just 100% eggshells, nothing else. I tried doing the eggshell powder myself before, but I could never get it as fine.

This is the one I use,
I'm sure there are similar products in other countries,.

Tenacity

Milk has more calcium than phosphate (even if it was high phosphate). I doubt it's the sole cause of the issue - do you eat any low calcium, high phosphate foods?

Fructose helps to control phosphorous intake too.

SaltGirl

Calcium carbonate supplement? or eggshells?

I stopped eating eggshells, but I think I will start back at it this week.
Oyster calcium. It's Calcium carbonate. I tried the eggshell thing but it never scratched "that" itch that I required for calcium.

Tarmander

I cook three hard boiled eggs daily, peel them off, and just crush the shells with my teeth. I don't swallow it until it is as fine and liquidy as it can be. Two in the morning, one in the afternoon.
The key is not put the shell in your mouth with any other food, as that will incite you to swallow it before it is completely crushed into dust.

Damn that's metal.

sladerunner69

Has OP tried a taurine solution applied directly to his hair? Or even better, a selenium sulfide shampoo mixed with taurine, niacinimide and caffiene?

I used to eat eggshells but they were giving my heartburn.

OP
Prosper

Prosper

Has OP tried a taurine solution applied directly to his hair? Or even better, a selenium sulfide shampoo mixed with taurine, niacinimide and caffiene?

I used to eat eggshells but they were giving my heartburn.
What would be the point of this?

Oyster calcium. It's Calcium carbonate. I tried the eggshell thing but it never scratched "that" itch that I required for calcium.

They're both carbonate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals