Dairy and Thyroid

megabit

Hi - silly question maybe....but maybe someone knows the answer

Context: When taking thyroid medication, you are instructed to leave at least 1 hour between ingesting dairy products and taking the medication, else the thyroid medication has no effect.
Question: If taking dairy with thyroid meds can make the medication ineffective, then how is dairy supposed to be good for thyroid or metabolism overall?

Thanks for your insights.

Normal Human

Hi - silly question maybe....but maybe someone knows the answer

Context: When taking thyroid medication, you are instructed to leave at least 1 hour between ingesting dairy products and taking the medication, else the thyroid medication has no effect.
Question: If taking dairy with thyroid meds can make the medication ineffective, then how is dairy supposed to be good for thyroid or metabolism overall?

Thanks for your insights.
The reason they recommend spacing it is to avoid the calcium from dairy binding to levothyroxone in the stomach. It's not related to daisy's systemic effect on endogenous thyroid function.

OP
M

megabit

The reason they recommend spacing it is to avoid the calcium from dairy binding to levothyroxone in the stomach. It's not related to daisy's systemic effect on endogenous thyroid function.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying that calcium only binds with thyroid meds (thyroid hormone in the case of Armour) while they are in the stomach, but it doesn't bind with thyroid hormone when it is in the tissues?

Theta

I drink milk at every meal and snack. How would you suggest taking Cynoplus in 4 doses a day?

Normal Human

I drink milk at every meal and snack. How would you suggest taking Cynoplus in 4 doses a day?
If it's not improving your temps like you'd like I'd just take it away from milk by an hour. How much T3 is in each dose you take? I take 2.5mcg of T3 (Liothyronine) away from meals multiple times per day and don't have any problem with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals