Danny's crusade against Mercola on Progest-E

Peatress

+1, 6000IU vitamin D and beef liver make me feel great. How else does one keep PTH down? I thought the calcium/VD3/magnesium combo to suppress PTH synthesis was super central to peat’s work. Ref. e.g. GE podcast episode 67, among many many other interviews and writings…?

I don't think I've got this all figured out. Calcium, magnesium and D, amongst other things are needed to lower PTH.

“When vitamin D or calcium is deficient, or when phosphate is excessive, and in hypoglycemia and stress (Ljunghall, et al., 1984), parathyroid hormone increases. This can lead to softening of bones, and hardening of soft tissues, especially arteries, sometimes brain, skin and other organs. Parathyroid hormone increases blood pressure, even before the calcium stiffening is detected. During the night, parathyroid hormone usually rises (Radjaipour 1986; Logue 1989, 1990; Fraser, 1998), and especially during aging, this causes a significant loss of calcium from the bones. Having a large part of the day's calcium at bedtime reduces the nocturnal rise of PTH and calcium loss from bones (Ohgitani, et al., 1997; Mortis, et al.,1997).” Dr. Peat – Adaptogenic Milk Newsletter

vocedilegno

“When vitamin D or calcium is deficient, or when phosphate is excessive, and in hypoglycemia and stress (Ljunghall, et al., 1984), parathyroid hormone increases. This can lead to softening of bones, and hardening of soft tissues, especially arteries, sometimes brain, skin and other organs. Parathyroid hormone increases blood pressure, even before the calcium stiffening is detected. During the night, parathyroid hormone usually rises (Radjaipour 1986; Logue 1989, 1990; Fraser, 1998), and especially during aging, this causes a significant loss of calcium from the bones. Having a large part of the day's calcium at bedtime reduces the nocturnal rise of PTH and calcium loss from bones (Ohgitani, et al., 1997; Mortis, et al.,1997).” Dr. Peat – Adaptogenic Milk Newsletter
I think we are totally on the same page with this. In any case I agree with everything in the quote from Peat you provided above. Calcium and by extension vitamin D, and by extension from vitamin D, magnesium, are all necessary to prevent hyperparathyroidism. In the post I linked to, Georgi was addressing the risk of hypercalcemia from supplementing vitamin D without the other fat-solubles and produced the study therein which suggested that vitamin A could obviate this risk. I mentioned beef liver because it was one of Ray’s recommended sources of vitamin A.

While we’re on the subject, Georgi mentioned in a GE podcast I was listening to recently that in some “stubborn” cases of hyperparathyroidism which don’t respond to the calcium/vitamin D/magnesium angle of attack, the missing ingredient can be sodium.

Peatress

@vocedilegno This article explains the links with sodium.

Salt, Aldosterone, and Parathyroid Hormone: What Is the Relevance for Organ Damage?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals