Peat's controversial thoughts on Omega 3's vindicated due to new info on C15:0?

BobbyJackson

I've been reading a lot about the discovery of this new essential fatty acid known as C15:0. It's a saturated fatty acid, that has been shown to have numerous health benefits. It's present in dairy, meat and some fish. It has been shown to have all of the benefits of Omega 3, plus many more benefits, yet none of the downsides as it's not prone to oxidation.

What I've started to wonder is, all of the "benefits" we've been hearing about Omega 3 and Omega 6, have they actually been mostly measuring the benefits of C15:0 this entire time and not realizing it, instead going down the path of assuming Omega 3 was the real driver? This would vindicate Ray Peat's views on Omega 3 not being an essential nutrient as a PUFA, if the entire time it was actually C15:0 that was the real essential nutrient.

Quote from an article where they interview people from a company publishing many studies on it:
She was studying dolphins at the US Navy’s marine mammal program, specifically looking at how to help older dolphins live their longest, healthiest lives possible. Studying the diets of two cohorts in open ocean Florida and California, she discovered that one group of dolphins had less age-related disease than the other. As the fish in their diet was a little different due to the regions, Dr. Venn-Watson and her team were able to decipher that it wasn’t omega-3 that made the difference as they originally thought, but a specific fatty acid called C15:0. The molecule had been identified in 1942, but this was the first evidence that it could actually be an essential nutrient for mammals. C15:0 is naturally found in dairy, some fish and plants.
I know that Haidut has said that he'll be coming out with his own version of C15:0 along with another fatty acid in the same bottle (which is suspect will be C17:0, but haven't heard him say which it is).

These fatty acids are being called OCFAs, odd chain fatty acids.

All of this is really starting to blow my mind, thinking about how right Ray Peat has been about everything and how long it has taken for mainstream science to catch up. I haven't heard him talking about OCFAs ever, but he knew that PUFAs were bad, no matter what, even in the form of Omega 3 which was very controversial, Omega 6 being bad was not as controversial. He knew this because of this deep understanding about biological mechanisms and the science behind how compounds actually work in the body. Peat was just so ahead of his time and was so far into his understanding. He was obsessed with dairy, maybe now we're finally getting the reason why it's so good, asides of course, from the other obvious reasons.

I'd love to hear Georgi talk more about this compound, I haven't heard him talking about it much on the Generative Energy podcast but I might've missed it.

Peatful

David PS

GTW

"Strain at a gnat and swallow a camel." Relates to taking data out of context and proportion.
Dolphin diets are extremely rich in Omega 3. Is it relevant to humans?
The good in-vitro effects of C15:0 don't in any way exclude the essentiality of O-3 and O6 PUFA at appropriate doses.

OP
B

BobbyJackson

"Strain at a gnat and swallow a camel." Relates to taking data out of context and proportion.
Dolphin diets are extremely rich in Omega 3. Is it relevant to humans?
The good in-vitro effects of C15:0 don't in any way exclude the essentiality of O-3 and O6 PUFA at appropriate doses.
I think the point I was more trying to get at, was not the absolute complete unnecessary nature of Omega 3, but perhaps coming to a realization about how possible it is that our focus on Omega 3 and Omega 6 being one of the most important fatty acids for health and longevity being wrong. It's of course impossible to avoid eating these, even when eating mostly meat, dairy and whatnot, because these PUFAs are also found in those. So obviously PUFAs are a natural part of the diet to some extent.

It gives me more of an understanding of how Peat could've been right to a large extent about Omega 3. I think that is one of the most controversial points he makes. I don't take Omega 3s anymore due to Peat's work but it's hard to deny that when taking Omega 3 my brain seemed to run way faster. But I understand the biological reasoning that Peat and others use that explains why it doesn't seem to make sense due to oxidation that it would be so important to have large amounts of it, like mainstream medicine implies and where Peat's main concept of limiting intake as much as possible makes more sense to me, while understanding you cannot completely eliminate it. I think that my taking large doses of Omega 3 and Omega 6 contributed to my health problems and it is unfortunate that it can take such a long time for you to get them out of your body.

It's of course recognizable that other fatty acids could provide benefits, like PUFAs, but at what cost is the main question, I think. Is it optimal? Are the downsides major? I would say that the downsides of PUFAs over saturated fatty acids are obviously numerous and that saturated fat has been unfairly demonized by the mainstream. Now it gives more credence to the reasons as to why we should be eating more saturated fat rather than PUFAs, contrary to popular belief.

GTW

Ray Peat had valuable insights. No question that we have been scammed by mainstream nutrition and medicine. Trying to find the optimum doses of nutrients can be problematic. A good reference can be what's called species-typical evolutionary diet. Our metabolism evolved over 100 000 years to take advantage of it. It's often a strong counterpoint to what the Medical Industrial Complex is trying to sell us.

Elie

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals