Excessive Diarrhea?

Squatrat

For years Ive had diarrhea issues off and on, recently it got really bad with lots of explosive, watery, acidic diarrhea. I narrowed down one of the causes, I dont think I can supplement Vitamin E or Zinc, when I stoppped supplementing those 2 supplements the diarrhea got a lot better but still im having issues.

I think the peat diet is causing the remaining issues. My diet is mostly liquid and I drink a lot of OJ for carbs like Peat reccomends but fruit juice and excessive sugar is known to cause loose stools. Sorbitol in the juice pulls water into the intestines and thats my specific issue, I dont have a bowel disease.

How can I get more carbs while cutting out some of the fruit juice, or do you have other theories?

keith

For years Ive had diarrhea issues off and on, recently it got really bad with lots of explosive, watery, acidic diarrhea. I narrowed down one of the causes, I dont think I can supplement Vitamin E or Zinc, when I stoppped supplementing those 2 supplements the diarrhea got a lot better but still im having issues.

I think the peat diet is causing the remaining issues. My diet is mostly liquid and I drink a lot of OJ for carbs like Peat reccomends but fruit juice and excessive sugar is known to cause loose stools. Sorbitol in the juice pulls water into the intestines and thats my specific issue, I dont have a bowel disease.

How can I get more carbs while cutting out some of the fruit juice, or do you have other theories?

The OJ may be allergenic for you, or it could be something else you are eating that may seem benign. It took me years, for some reason, to realize I can't eat apples. I love them, but I would have diarrhea all day if I ate one...which I did every day. You might consider something of an elimination diet removing certain foods for a week or so to see if symptom improve.

Other things which have helped me include bacteriophages and Haidut's Lapodin, which surprised me a little, because Cascara taken internally is strongly laxative for me.

Good luck! I know from experience how challenging chronic diarrhea can be. Not fun.

Edit- oh, charcoal can sometimes help too.

OP
S

Squatrat

The OJ may be allergenic for you, or it could be something else you are eating that may seem benign. It took me years, for some reason, to realize I can't eat apples. I love them, but I would have diarrhea all day if I ate one...which I did every day. You might consider something of an elimination diet removing certain foods for a week or so to see if symptom improve.

Other things which have helped me include bacteriophages and Haidut's Lapodin, which surprised me a little, because Cascara taken internally is strongly laxative for me.

Good luck! I know from experience how challenging chronic diarrhea can be. Not fun.

Edit- oh, charcoal can sometimes help too.
You say that the OJ can be allergenic? I might be fructose intolerant. Im going to switch to apple juice and see what happens. Im betting the issue is too much sorbitol because my colon either doesnt absorb water or too much water is being pulled into my intestines. Also im going to try charcoal.

L

lollipop

@Squatrat I remember learning that diarrhea is a sign of high serotonin. That would make sense that Lapodin helped @keith as it reduces serotonin sooo much. I found things that decrease serotonin have solved diarrhea issues. Hope that helps!

xiaohua

@Squatrat I remember learning that diarrhea is a sign of high serotonin. That would make sense that Lapodin helped @keith as it reduces serotonin sooo much. I found things that decrease serotonin have solved diarrhea issues. Hope that helps!
Hi Lisa :blush: what else do you find effective to reduce serotonin?

OP
S

Squatrat

My Vyvanse can cause Serotonin Syndrome but I take a low dose and it didnt give me diarrhea when I was in the hospital. When I was in the hospital recently my diarrhea completly stopped in 24 hours so I think its diet related. Its something im doing at home thats causing it.

L

lollipop

My Vyvanse can cause Serotonin Syndrome but I take a low dose and it didnt give me diarrhea when I was in the hospital. When I was in the hospital recently my diarrhea completly stopped in 24 hours so I think its diet related. Its something im doing at home thats causing it.
Glad you worked it out.

L

lollipop

Hi Lisa :blush: what else do you find effective to reduce serotonin?
Hi @daisyjane, I think there is a thread discussing it. Search and see if you find it. Off the top of my head, what I think has helped me:

Lapodin
Lysine
Aspirin
Coffee - with honey and half and half
Aspirin
Being well fed, nourished
Lowering overall stress

Raincoast

I had it too, for years. Acidic & Explosive
Tried the elimination diet. Nothing improved.
I finally gave up Parmigiano-Reggiano, replaced it with eggshell calcium. Started Epicor, a yeast extract in capsule form. And 4mg Cyproheptadine. After about 3 months it all stopped.
Still hard for me to believe it's gone, was a serious handicap in my life.
I still drink skim milk abour 5oz/day with coffee. Oranges, boiled potatoes, beef, collagen and honey are my staples now. I stay at 10% calories from fat (Cronometer).
I cannot say with any certainty which variable(s) was responsible. I no longer take the Epicor (Healthy Origins) regularly. Cypro I continue.
To add, my mother had similar issue which have since resolved also. Epicor is daily for her, as is Cypro. She also added Calcium Carbonate (oyster shell) and stopped yogurt.

xiaohua

Hi @daisyjane, I think there is a thread discussing it. Search and see if you find it. Off the top of my head, what I think has helped me:

Lapodin
Lysine
Aspirin
Coffee - with honey and half and half
Aspirin
Being well fed, nourished
Lowering overall stress
Thanks @lisaferraro. I've seen the thread, just wondered what had worked for you :)

OP
S

Squatrat

I had it too, for years. Acidic & Explosive
Tried the elimination diet. Nothing improved.
I finally gave up Parmigiano-Reggiano, replaced it with eggshell calcium. Started Epicor, a yeast extract in capsule form. And 4mg Cyproheptadine. After about 3 months it all stopped.
Still hard for me to believe it's gone, was a serious handicap in my life.
I still drink skim milk abour 5oz/day with coffee. Oranges, boiled potatoes, beef, collagen and honey are my staples now. I stay at 10% calories from fat (Cronometer).
I cannot say with any certainty which variable(s) was responsible. I no longer take the Epicor (Healthy Origins) regularly. Cypro I continue.
To add, my mother had similar issue which have since resolved also. Epicor is daily for her, as is Cypro. She also added Calcium Carbonate (oyster shell) and stopped yogurt.
Cypro is the most popular haidut supp I havent tried yet, because I didnt think I needed it and im worried about the weight gain as im currently trying to lose a lot of weight. A lot of people on this forum swear by it though. I take loratidine(?) which is a 2nd generation anti-histamine. What does cypro offer over that?

OP
S

Squatrat

So I was at the grocery store looking for carb sources when it occured to me that I live in the deep south; I can just drink sweet tea instad of fruit juice. Ill give it a go and report back in a day or 2.

even without finding the cause...

activated charcoal is very effective against diarrhea

and Saccharomyces Boulardii is super effective too. Even one or two capsules in a day can end diarrhea. There is a brand name called Florastor that is available at many drugstores in the US and maybe elsewhere, but it is far cheaper to buy different brands on Amazon. Either way, I take this with me when I travel and use it occasionally if needed.

HLP

I'd give Pepcid (Famotidine) a try. It tends to alkalize the system which in my mind translates to "bunging" you up. I think Haidut mentioned it lowers Serotonin.

OP
S

Squatrat

I woke up early and have had diarrhea all morning long. Its worse today then it was yesterday. I just dont understand it. Im frustrated beyond belief.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals