Fiber causes blood sugar dysregulation?

3slackC

Whenever I eat vegetables (Or too much fiber) with my meals, I become hypoglycemic, don't feel satiated at all and have to snack on sugar to be able to go on with my day.
Hours afterwards (even without snacking sugar) - right when I start to get horrible gas from the fiber - my blood sugar skyrockets to over 200. I then become incredibly fatigued.

Eating simple carbohydrates (white rice, sugar, fruit, jam, milk, juice) satiates me, spikes my blood glucose to a maximum of 130 (drops immediately) and I feel energized. Any ideas on what might cause this?

Last edited:
Whenever I eat vegetables (Or too much fiber) with my meals, I become hypoglycemic, don't feel satiated at all and have to snack on sugar to be able to go on with my day.
Hours afterwards (even without snacking sugar) - right when I start to get horrible gas from the fiber - my blood sugar skyrockets to over 200. I then become incredibly fatigued.

Eating simple carbohydrates (white rice, sugar, fruit, jam, milk, juice) satiates me, spikes my blood glucose to a maximum of 130 (drops immediately) and I feel energized. Any ideas on what might cause this?
What kind of vegetables are you talking about?

View: https://youtu.be/oK5zPpc_my0

GTW

What you characterize as vegetables and fiber is too vague to be diagnostic.
However, what you describe might be SIBO?

OP

3slackC

What kind of vegetables are you talking about?
Problematic in the past were especially cruciferous vegetables, avocado, legumes, chestnuts and sweet potato (tough there are only a few foods that I can eat completely problem-free). Meat, rice, cheese, orange juice, eggs, lactose free dairy, bananas and carrots seem to not cause me any immediate digestive issues. I still don't understand why the combination of fiber and starch would cause such a weird blood sugar spike.

This is unrelated to the topic of the thread (blood sugar issues caused by fiber), but perhaps is worth mentioning anyways:
What you characterize as vegetables and fiber is too vague to be diagnostic.
However, what you describe might be SIBO?
Interesting that you suspected SIBO. I had a look at some related threads and I have quite a few additional health issues most which are typically reported by members of this forum and some of which coincide with those of this condition (Bloating, diarrhea / constipation, food intolerances, anxiety, depression, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue, brain fog / indescribable feeling of not being myself). My digestion is pretty sluggish anyways and I probably have messed up my metabolism (despite normal TSH of 1.07, T3/T4/fT3/fT4 not tested) from keto + fasting + severe under-eating (keto + fasting after digestive issues began, under-eating partly caused by stress before the digestive issues),. If it matters, my waking temperature already went up from 32.8-33.1°C and is now 34.4-35.2°C.

All of those problems have been going on for about a year (Insomnia much longer, probably 3 years. I remember and miss having perfect sleep before) and so far, doctors were unable to help. They are all totally incompetent and on top of that, getting an appointment takes forever. This is slowly starting to bother me. I'm a young male (supposed to be full of energy), but instead I am fatigued, feeling like ***t, unable to work and have brain fog most of the time. Even coffee does not give me energy, but exacerbates my anxiety and insomnia (also when having it 14-15 hours before bed).

Last edited:

GTW

SIBO apparently is related to colon microbes being higher up in the small intestine where they don't usually occur and there their fermentation of various substrates is problematic.
Colon microbes (some) are capable of converting polysaccharide starches to sugars; they also produce alcohol which your liver converts to sugar as it does simple starches.
Round about explanation that SIBO can cause blood sugar spikes/dysfunction.

OP

3slackC

SIBO apparently is related to colon microbes being higher up in the small intestine where they don't usually occur and there their fermentation of various substrates is problematic.
Colon microbes (some) are capable of converting polysaccharide starches to sugars; they also produce alcohol which your liver converts to sugar as it does simple starches.
Round about explanation that SIBO can cause blood sugar spikes/dysfunction.
That makes sense and the typical recommendations for SIBO have helped in the past. But even if it is not SIBO, I guess it would be wise to avoid food combinations that cause those weird blood sugar spikes. I'm almost certain that this is exacerbated by a sluggish digestion, since both vegetables and starch in isolation don't seem to cause me any issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals