Gaining Muscle Olympic Weightlifting With Peat-style Nutrition

Spondive

Interesting..I haven't read through everything yet but why do you do this? Is it temporary and how much and how often do you do this?

Jennifer

visionofstrength said:
I do see websites that show pictures of unclad, buff men and women, and first off, I always question their authenticity. But I also don't find them compelling, and instead, a little sad. I understand that you aren't slavishly devoted to excess weight loss, but a lot of people are! Looking at those pictures only makes it worse!

:1

Spondive said:
Interesting..I haven't read through everything yet but why do you do this? Is it temporary and how much and how often do you do this?
I do it everyday, small frequent doses of foods that are "uncouplers" along with some vitamins and minerals ... it's become a lifestyle choice because I've seen it improve my metabolic rate, as measured by exhaled CO2.

Spondive

Ok good... I'm going to try this along with hormones as mentioned before..etc etc

johns74

Do all these people asking for pictures not know the existence of Photoshop?

Speaking of photoshop, I think Peat turned 78 this year. This pic was taken on his birthday, Oct. 12, in I guess, from the waist up, his birthday suit. He looks amazing! God(s) bless you, Ray Peat!

872KGC6.jpg

superhuman

visionofstrength said:
nikotrope said:
I've tried to eat regularly through the day milk, sugar, coconut oil, salt, aspirin, vitamin k2 and vitamin e but it is the addition of caffeine that made a real difference. And I think some thyroid would boost me even more. I will order niacinamide soon to test too.

I think the quantity is really important. I currently take 4*100mg caffeine (plus maybe 100mg with tea and red bull) and my temps and pulse got a little boost. I can't handle single doses of 200mg caffeine just yet but I did 3*200mg for a day and a lot of things improved (but adrenaline and cortisol might have been a little high).
I agree that quantity and consistency is really important.

At Peat's suggestion, I've taken to using very strong or instant coffee. He thinks "coffee is much more than caffeine", and is especially high in magnesium. I find I can use 18 teaspoons of instant coffee if it is mixed with nonfat milk, honey or fructose, and gelatin to make a kind of delicious, inexpensive panna cotta.*

It seems the gelatin, milk and fructose make it a lot easier to consume the large quantity of caffeine, without getting jitters. There's about 1200 mg of caffeine in 18 teaspoons of instant coffee!

*Recipes for panna cotta here: http://seattletimes.com/html/foodwine/2 ... tta20.html

Do you eat that 1200mg of caffeine content meal in one meal or spread throught the day?

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
But I guess I ask myself what would Ray Peat do? And I don't think he'd publish pictures of his purportedly slim waistline so that he could make a more compelling case. He's said he doesn't want to steer people, which he feels may impair their own sense of guidance.

He also wouldn't write a thread called "the weight loss MIRACLE!" which was based on conjecture, theory and not actually losing any weight though :D

Either way, it seems slightly irrelevant. You were probably hypermetabolic before you found Peat and the extra calories helped you gain muscle.

Most people on here have issues of excess belly fat representing cortisol and estrogen issues. I don' think you were like this at all. You gained weight.

I still think you should post the picture of now versus one showing you skinny in the past though, otherwise it does in my mind discredit all your posts about weight loss.

I do think your advice is useful regarding the CO2 stuff, and thanks for that. I know I give you a hard time on your "weight loss" posts, but I think that's warranted given you have gained weight on a Peat diet.

aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:
But I guess I ask myself what would Ray Peat do? And I don't think he'd publish pictures of his purportedly slim waistline so that he could make a more compelling case. He's said he doesn't want to steer people, which he feels may impair their own sense of guidance.

He also wouldn't write a thread called "the weight loss MIRACLE!" which was based on conjecture, theory and not actually losing any weight though :D

Either way, it seems slightly irrelevant. You were probably hypermetabolic before you found Peat and the extra calories helped you gain muscle.

Most people on here have issues of excess belly fat representing cortisol and estrogen issues. I don' think you were like this at all. You gained weight.

I still think you should post the picture of now versus one showing you skinny in the past though, otherwise it does in my mind discredit all your posts about weight loss.

I do think your advice is useful regarding the CO2 stuff, and thanks for that. I know I give you a hard time on your "weight loss" posts, but I think that's warranted given you have gained weight on a Peat diet.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but you beat me to it.

He actually called it something like "the weight loss MIRACLE CURE". Then claims he doesn't want people obsessed over weight loss.

I think it's obvious to most of us that he's just one of those people who got excited reading about all these Peat substances and how in theory they'd help to decrease fat mass but never actually put it into practise or achieved any of the those results himself.

Anyway, gaining muscle while Peating is quite easy. The higher calories, high sugar and high protein make this diet very conducive to gaining muscle. The only problem is, it often comes with a spare tyre around your midsection -- that people are fond of saying is caused by estrogen and cortisol. Funny how when 95% of people who are otherwise just fine start eating higher amounts of sugar and suddenly start getting fat because apparently their cortisol and estrogen are too high.

nikotrope

cantstoppeating said:
Funny how when 95% of people who are otherwise just fine start eating higher amounts of sugar and suddenly start getting fat because apparently their cortisol and estrogen are too high.

Right nobody here had any cortisol or estrogen problems before peating. Nobody here had any problems with a calorie restricted and/or low carb diet.

You said in another post you gain weight on a RP diet. I would like to hear your story, why did you start peating and why do you think eating more sugar lead you to gain weight. If you are here to find a way to lose the weight you gain while peating, maybe some members could give you useful answers for your case if you provide more details to your situation.

nikotrope said:
cantstoppeating said:
Funny how when 95% of people who are otherwise just fine start eating higher amounts of sugar and suddenly start getting fat because apparently their cortisol and estrogen are too high.

Right nobody here had any cortisol or estrogen problems before peating. Nobody here had any problems with a calorie restricted and/or low carb diet.

You said in another post you gain weight on a RP diet. I would like to hear your story, why did you start peating and why do you think eating more sugar lead you to gain weight. If you are here to find a way to lose the weight you gain while peating, maybe some members could give you useful answers for your case if you provide more details to your situation.

We have to remember that those who frequent forums like these only represent a small fraction of total Peaters but since we frequent these forums often it's easy to think we're in the majority.

pboy

visionofstrength said:
Speaking of photoshop, I think Peat turned 78 this year. This pic was taken on his birthday, Oct. 12, in I guess, from the waist up, his birthday suit. He looks amazing! God(s) bless you, Ray Peat!

872KGC6.jpg

LOL

aquaman said:
Well, the weight loss miracle posted had already been discovered, and even well known in the 1930s. It was called at the time "uncoupling compounds". The only problem was that the compounds have a small therapeutic window, too much is a bad thing, and since the nanny state won't allow people to think for themselves about safety, the primary uncoupling compound was banned.

But there's never been any question that uncouplers cause miracle weight loss in the obese, and even today they seem to be used I think in a gray market of bodybuilders for something called "cutting" -- which as you bodybuilders may know is the practice of reducing bodyfat to much lower than is probably healthy.

My thread simply described that uncoupling research. There was nothing hyperbolic about it. If anything, I thought, it was an ironic comment on all the foolishness of modern day weight loss miracles, which in fact do not work nearly as well as the uncouplers already well known in the 1930s.

Apart from the research I cited, and the gray market of bodybuilders, I don't know what more proof you could want from me that uncouplers cause fat loss. Why take the word of any anonymous poster on a forum, over those studies? Why not just try yourself?

The cool thing is that Peat is giving us a pathway to try uncouplers ourselves that is safe and practical, using thyroid, coffee and aspirin. He's also explained why uncouplers work, because of better tissue oxidation, and given us many other foods and supplements that increase tissue oxidation, which is the basis for metabolic rate and generation of CO2. Everything from red light, niacinamide and thiamine; to fructose, casein and medium chain saturated fats; to magnesium, calcium and methylene blue -- and lots of other things in between.

So if you have excess bodyfat, please don't blame your Ray Peat diet! It's all on you! You just need to customize your dosage and frequency of some or all of the many things that Peat has found for us. And you can tell if your metabolic rate increases not only by tape measuring your neck and waist line (and hips if you're a woman), but more importantly, by measuring your exhaled CO2.

Please, don't anyone ever say they gained fat on a Ray Peat diet. It really isn't fair. You gained fat on your diet! You know you did!

But no biggie, it's just as easy to lose the fat on a Ray Peat diet, and more importantly, find physical and emotional well-being in a high metabolic rate.

aquaman

cantstoppeating said:
Anyway, gaining muscle while Peating is quite easy. The higher calories, high sugar and high protein make this diet very conducive to gaining muscle. The only problem is, it often comes with a spare tyre around your midsection -- that people are fond of saying is caused by estrogen and cortisol. Funny how when 95% of people who are otherwise just fine start eating higher amounts of sugar and suddenly start getting fat because apparently their cortisol and estrogen are too high.

I think the distribution of fat is reflective of hormone balance.

I had a multi-point fat test done, and hold the equivalent of like 7% body fat on my calves, about 10% on legs and arms and back (you can hardly pinch any fat on these spots), and like 25% on chest and stomach. The tester says he sees huge variation in where people hold their fat levels.

VoS point is that he has gained lean body mass without adding fat.

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
I don't know what more proof you could want from me that uncouplers cause fat loss. Why take the word of any anonymous poster on a forum, over those studies? Why not just try yourself?

I find your posts so weird.

I HAVE tried all his uncouplers for over a year, in regular quantities. I've eaten largely fructose and milk proteins for a year just as you suggest.

I got fatter - significantly. So do most people on this site.

If it were as simple as you say, the predominance would be people losing weight, whereas it's the opposite. And don't say it's dose dependent, if one dose works then taking the same things in a decent quantity every day would not make someone fatter, it may just not have the same "MIRACLE" effect, but you'd still lose some weight at the wrong dose or timing.

Also you make it out like Peat is saying these things. He's not. You're interpreting that he's saying this.

There was a whole show on Herb Doctors called Weight Loss and he didn't mention any of the stuff you talk about.

aquaman

and posting pictures is very useful, more so than reading about your interpretation of research from the 1930s.

Animal on Peatarian (who posted his pics here also under another name) posted pics and showed him getting lean and muscly on a Peat diet, which I'm sure was very inspirational for a bunch of people.

aquaman said:
I think the distribution of fat is reflective of hormone balance.

I had a multi-point fat test done, and hold the equivalent of like 7% body fat on my calves, about 10% on legs and arms and back (you can hardly pinch any fat on these spots), and like 25% on chest and stomach. The tester says he sees huge variation in where people hold their fat levels.
Wow, that's insightful! There is a significant variation in tissue oxidation throughout the various tissues of the body, I think. That would be consistent with what you're saying about hormonal and body fat variations in different tissues.

Very cool idea! Thanks!

aquaman said:
and posting pictures is very useful...
I don't have any pics to post, as it happens. I actually don't have a camera or even a phone with a camera. My computer doesn't even have a web cam. I've literally never taken a single pic of myself, a selfie. Sorry to disappoint!

I think I have been snapped in photos taken by family and friends, but never naked from the waist up.

aquaman said:
... Also you make it out like Peat is saying these things. He's not. You're interpreting that he's saying this.

There was a whole show on Herb Doctors called Weight Loss and he didn't mention any of the stuff you talk about.
I actually don't know much about science other than what I've learned from reading Peat's books and newsletters, and his references. I think I only learned about uncouplers from Peat. I'm pretty sure there are others on this forum who may know more about it than me.

The toxinless index seems to have about 16 references here (though not all his work is indexed):
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0052336844 ... uncoupling

Here's the one quote that I remember got me thinking:
Ray Peat said:
Aspirin and thyroid (T3) increase uncoupling. A drug that used to be used for weight reduction, DNP, also uncouples mitochondrial metabolism, and, surprisingly, it has some of the beneficial effects of thyroid and aspirin. It stimulates the consumption of lactic acid and the formation of carbon dioxide.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals