Glutamate in Stock - Too Stimulating?

DBCoast

Has anyone had an issue with bone broth/stock causing restlessness?? This seems to happen to me and I’ve heard that stock’s high glutamate content can be the cause.

This has happened to me with other high glutamate foods - moussaka totally had me unable to sleep due to restlessness.

Could this be due to a gut permeability issue a la GAPS diet ideas?

I’m trying to get more gelatin and actually have a big pot of chicken stock and pig’s feet simmering right now.

Has anyone had an issue with bone broth/stock causing restlessness?? This seems to happen to me and I’ve heard that stock’s high glutamate content can be the cause.

This has happened to me with other high glutamate foods - moussaka totally had me unable to sleep due to restlessness.

Could this be due to a gut permeability issue a la GAPS diet ideas?

I’m trying to get more gelatin and actually have a big pot of chicken stock and pig’s feet simmering right now.
It could could be high histamines too. Ray Peat suggests making stock no more that 3 hours, because of high histamines and heavy metals. Moussaka is made with eggplant which is on the high histamine list….

“If you’re struggling with histamine intolerance, following a low-histamine diet until your symptoms subside can be a big help.

Here’s a handy list of foods that typically spark a histamine response:

Fermented foods and drinks like yogurt, sauerkraut, vinegar, and soy sauce (high histamine content)
Fermented alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer, and champagne (high histamine content and can prevent the breakdown of histamine)
Peanuts and cashews (histamine-releasing)
Tree nuts such as walnuts and almonds (histamine-releasing)
Wheat flour (high histamine content)
Cured and aged meats (high histamine content)
Dairy and aged cheese (high histamine content)
Pork (histamine-releasing)
Some types of fish including tuna, mackerel, and herring, especially when frozen, smoked, or canned (high histamine content and histamine-releasing)
Egg whites (histamine-releasing)
Cocoa and chocolate (histamine-releasing)
Different types of tea (can prevent the breakdown of histamine)
Licorice root (histamine-releasing)
Avocado (high histamine content)
Citrus fruits, papaya, pineapple (histamine-releasing)
Spinach (high histamine content)
Eggplant (high histamine content)
Tomatoes and tomato ketchup (high histamine content)
Strawberries (high histamine content)Seasonings including chili powder, cinnamon, and cloves (histamine-releasing)
Preservatives including sulfites and MSG (histamine-releasing)“

OP
D

DBCoast

It could could be high histamines too. Ray Peat suggests making stock no more that 3 hours, because of high histamines and heavy metals. Moussaka is made with eggplant which is on the high histamine list….

“If you’re struggling with histamine intolerance, following a low-histamine diet until your symptoms subside can be a big help.

Here’s a handy list of foods that typically spark a histamine response:

Fermented foods and drinks like yogurt, sauerkraut, vinegar, and soy sauce (high histamine content)
Fermented alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer, and champagne (high histamine content and can prevent the breakdown of histamine)
Peanuts and cashews (histamine-releasing)
Tree nuts such as walnuts and almonds (histamine-releasing)
Wheat flour (high histamine content)
Cured and aged meats (high histamine content)
Dairy and aged cheese (high histamine content)
Pork (histamine-releasing)
Some types of fish including tuna, mackerel, and herring, especially when frozen, smoked, or canned (high histamine content and histamine-releasing)
Egg whites (histamine-releasing)
Cocoa and chocolate (histamine-releasing)
Different types of tea (can prevent the breakdown of histamine)
Licorice root (histamine-releasing)
Avocado (high histamine content)
Citrus fruits, papaya, pineapple (histamine-releasing)
Spinach (high histamine content)
Eggplant (high histamine content)
Tomatoes and tomato ketchup (high histamine content)
Strawberries (high histamine content)Seasonings including chili powder, cinnamon, and cloves (histamine-releasing)
Preservatives including sulfites and MSG (histamine-releasing)“

Thanks! Very helpful.

My stock was amazing, btw!

ChadGPT

I don’t do well with bone broth due to histamine. I don’t think the glutamate bothers me because I take collagen and feel fine.

I don’t do well with bone broth due to histamine. I don’t think the glutamate bothers me because I take collagen and feel fine.
The longer bone broths are cooked the higher the histamines. Usually people cook them for 12-24+ hours. Here is my chicken bone broth at 3 hours and beef bone broth at 5 hours. I don’t put vinegar or vegetables in mine, to eliminate the high oxalates. Just bones and water and leave the lid off. I would bet you would not react to it.

Attachments

• E6ABBD72-0F78-46D4-8B5A-A67BE68CF95A.jpeg
    E6ABBD72-0F78-46D4-8B5A-A67BE68CF95A.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 90D2D02F-5972-49AE-9FA7-D7411477CA62.jpeg
    90D2D02F-5972-49AE-9FA7-D7411477CA62.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 13
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals