Hairloss, Ejaculation, Vit D, Zinc, The Gut, Adrenal Up Regulation

CLASH

Happy Wednesday Ray Peat forum,
While eating my mussel and shrimp breakfast this morning with a side of goat milk and honey I was trying to be present with the food and not get stuck in my stream of consciousness (a very pompous introductory sentence I know; perhaps the fact that I was wearing gym shorts and eating on a paper plate will help to adjust the immediate image that comes to mind) but a thought popped out that I wanted to share. A loose connection of sorts. I'm going to lay it out as simply and logically as I can (keep in mind theres no research studies to post, its simply a loose connection of multiple ideas I had floating around in my mind; do what you will with it):

1) zinc is depleted in chronic ejaculation/ grain based diets (phytic acid)

2) zinc is necessary for epithelial integrity in the gut

3) zinc is a 5-AR-1 inhibitor. According to wikipedia 5-AR-1 is expressed in the scalp after puberty

4) zinc functions in immunity

5) vit D functions in immunity

6) impaired gut integrity/ immunity from zinc depletion may lead to gut issues

7) impaired immunity with zinc may require increased of the utilization of vit d

7) gut issues lead to adrenal up regulation and excess prolactin etc.

8) vit D deficiency leads to hairloss, 5-AR-1 in the skin leads to increased DHT in the skin which we see leads to hairloss, adrenal up regulation (caused by gut issues) via glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids leads to hairloss.

Thus with all this in mind, an addition to the tenants I've posted about in other threads in relation to hairloss could include:

-increase of zinc status with oysters

-avoidance of excess ejaculation (people always mention this, heres a theoretical reason as to perhaps why it works)

-vit d supplementation or time in the sun

-fixing the gut with goat milk/ kefir etc. (previously mentioned in other posts)

-avoidance of grains and digestive inhibiting foods, specifically containing phytate, oxalate etc. (previously mentioned as well)

Last edited:
OP
C

CLASH

@Ledo
I buy my kefir from an amish farm or I use kefir grains I have. I would get kefir grains to make the kefir. An amish farmer may be able to send these to you, they are pretty hard to find from what I understand. If your in the tri-state area I can let you know the farm I go to or recommend other farms.

Ledo

@Ledo
I buy my kefir from an amish farm or I use kefir grains I have. I would get kefir grains to make the kefir. An amish farmer may be able to send these to you, they are pretty hard to find from what I understand. If your in the tri-state area I can let you know the farm I go to or recommend other farms.
Tri-state as in Ny-Nj-Ct? No I'm in Oh but we have alot of Amish.

Thanks anyway but unless you have some specially identified grains I'll will just track some down locally most likely. I'm curious how lactic acid-y the drink may end up being.

OP
C

CLASH

Haha thank god for the Amish. Let me know if you are able to source them. Maybe I can get sone from my farmer and send them to you. idk how well they travel though.

Nope, not specifically identified. The lactic-acid content is dependent on how long you let the milk ferment and the temp/ strnegth of your grains. Sometimes it comes out pretty strong.

Mossy

@CLASH
I'm curious, do you prefer the taste of goat milk over cow milk, or is it a grin and bear it kind of thing (haha)? I ask because there was a period a few years back where I was buying goat milk and cheese, but I don't prefer the taste. I did find a farm about 40 minutes from me, that has raw goat milk and I'm trying to talk myself back into drinking it. Mainly, because I'm really curious to see if an A2-only-milk usage is the key to my immune system, and it's my understanding all goat milk is A2. Lastly, I'd like to ask, do you consume zero non-goat dairy; and, do you think a small percentage of non-goat dairy could still be consumed, or could any amount be a trigger to many of the gut issues you've been discussing? Thanks.

OP
C

CLASH

@Mossy
The taste of goats milk depends on the breed of goat from what i understand. I enjoy the taste of the milk I have been getting. I currently consume only goat dairy. I think you have to try non-goat and see how it works for you. I dont think everyone has to drink goat dairy, haha I didnt mean to come across that way. It just seems to be more ideal theoretically. But I am sure A2 cow dairy works just as well and perhaps even raw A1. I think overall raw, grass fed, no chemical etc. is the most important and perhaps close second is A2 if you have issues with the dairy. Gotta test it out. Taste, convenience, cost, etc. Are all important factors as well.

Mossy

@Mossy
The taste of goats milk depends on the breed of goat from what i understand. I enjoy the taste of the milk I have been getting. I currently consume only goat dairy. I think you have to try non-goat and see how it works for you. I dont think everyone has to drink goat dairy, haha I didnt mean to come across that way. It just seems to be more ideal theoretically. But I am sure A2 cow dairy works just as well and perhaps even raw A1. I think overall raw, grass fed, no chemical etc. is the most important and perhaps close second is A2 if you have issues with the dairy. Gotta test it out. Taste, convenience, cost, etc. Are all important factors as well.
Ok, thanks for the additional detail. Maybe I'll try the raw goat from the farm one of these weeks -- currently the farm is completely out. No doubt, it'll take some trial and error to see what is best.

RedStaR

2) zinc is necessary for epithelial integrity in the gut
I remember reading that zinc increases gut permeability, you might want to recheck that fact.

3) zinc is a 5-AR-1 inhibitor. According to wikipedia 5-AR-1 is expressed in the scalp after puberty
It's also expressed in skin tissue, liver, brain among many other tissue

8) vit D deficiency leads to hairloss, 5-AR-1 in the skin leads to increased DHT in the skin which we see leads to hairloss, adrenal up regulation (caused by gut issues) via glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids leads to hairloss.
5-AR 1 plays no role in hair loss, it's 5-AR 2 that you're after.

-avoidance of excess ejaculation (people always mention this, heres a theoretical reason as to perhaps why it works)
Ejaculation releases very little zinc if I remember correctly, certainly not enough to leave you deficient if done once a day on a balanced diet.

OP
C

CLASH

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals