Heavy periods

tommyg130

my girlfriend had very heavy periods her whole life . Lots of bleeding for 2-3 days. At 25 she went on birth control for about 18 months. She enjoyed that while on the pill she didn’t bleed through her tampon. No cramps no bloating.

Off the pill now and the bleeding is back. Tremendous uterus swelling. We were just out and she bled through her pants in public. Before birth control for a full 6 days she wouldn’t leave house bc of this. Her clots are bigger then quarters .

She’s 5’5 115lbs . She eats mostly grass fed lean beef , potatoes , orange juice a little. Honey. I try to get her to crank up the OJ, and milk more. But she eats pretty good imo.

How the heck can I minimize her issues.. she clearly had estrogen dominance her whole life and then birth control made it worse..

Supplements to help? . can I just give her progest E arbitrarily? Can she use it any time or only during certain days? Would pregnenolone help too?

I’m ordering her a good blood panel as well with prog, preg, thyroid ,estrogen. Imo I don’t want to search for the dozens of names and titles of conditions they say you may have. I want to get to the root cause and stop it . Is it literally just always estrogen dominance ? And adding some progest will help for sure ?

Peachy

Things to consider:

Progesterone lightened my period considerably and it worked fast. I take 2 drops progest-e 3x/day for the last two weeks of the cycle - and stop when bleeding starts.

Sounds like she’s eating pretty well! Should make sure she gets in adequate calories at this age especially.

Adrenal cocktail, carrot salad or just a raw carrot…

There are herbs that can work well too. Vitex is one. Dong Quai can be very effective but I wouldn’t use it for a long time - only in a pinch.

Maybe a little vitamin e? A little aspirin leading up to menstruating?

EvanHinkle

My wife swears by vitamin e intravaginaly. She puts about 10 drops of Tocovit in a gelatin capsule and places it in her vagina before bed, (it makes her drowsy). She tends to do this for 2-3 days and then takes a break for 2-3 days.

She told a friend about it who was bed ridden with cramps a few days before her period comes and it changed her life. Very little bleeding and none of her typical debilitating cramps.

Peachy

My wife swears by vitamin e intravaginaly. She puts about 10 drops of Tocovit in a gelatin capsule and places it in her vagina before bed, (it makes her drowsy). She tends to do this for 2-3 days and then takes a break for 2-3 days.

She told a friend about it who was bed ridden with cramps a few days before her period comes and it changed her life. Very little bleeding and none of her typical debilitating cramps.
I like this idea. Maybe vitamin e before trying progest-e.

I'm.No.One

I second making sure she's eating no less than 2500 calories a day. As women we're so conditioned to eat less calories than a toddler requires, quality doesn't matter if the quantity isn't there & undernourishment is a HUGE cause for violent periods.

Why?

Because hunger (rather felt of not) = stress = jacked up cortisol = jacked up estrogen.

Download a food tracking app like Cronometer, have her get honest with herself about how little she's likely eating, begin working with aspirin daily (not just when bleeding) to help lower prolactin/estrogen levels.

In all honesty I'd not touch hormones (not even Progest-E) until you get those panels back.

Lastly, she's flooding & she didn't have periods on HBC she had hormone induced bleeding not a womb lining shedding.

Get a Shepards purse tincture to slow those flooding episodes.

teds

Forum Supporter
You may also want to get an ultrasound to check for fibroids. At the very least so you can monitor the changes in them with diet/lifestyle/supplements etc- getting a baseline etc.

OP
T

tommyg130

Things to consider:

Progesterone lightened my period considerably and it worked fast. I take 2 drops progest-e 3x/day for the last two weeks of the cycle - and stop when bleeding starts.

Sounds like she’s eating pretty well! Should make sure she gets in adequate calories at this age especially.

Adrenal cocktail, carrot salad or just a raw carrot…

There are herbs that can work well too. Vitex is one. Dong Quai can be very effective but I wouldn’t use it for a long time - only in a pinch.

Maybe a little vitamin e? A little aspirin leading up to menstruating?
Thank you!. I think I made a mistake and made her bleeding stronger .. I Gave her progest and asprin mid peak of her period.. later that day she bled a lot.. trial and error lol.. I now know to stop prog right before bleeding and same w aspirin

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
When my estrogen is (naturally) high, I bleed heavily. When I take progesterone, I have a normal 3 day period.

Deborah888

Vitamin E really helped my breast tenderness. Raspberry leaf tea is also great for cramps. I use 2 tea bags, boiling water, steep for 7 minutes. My cramps are considerably less or nonexistent about 30 minutes later. Not a root-cause answer but it helps.

Peachy

Thank you!. I think I made a mistake and made her bleeding stronger .. I Gave her progest and asprin mid peak of her period.. later that day she bled a lot.. trial and error lol.. I now know to stop prog right before bleeding and same w aspirin
You and she are doing way better than I was at that age, research wise. No doubt you’ll figure it out!

That extra bleeding was the aspirin. Sometimes I take progest-e a little after starting if I feel I need to wean down. Sometimes not.

Peatful

I second making sure she's eating no less than 2500 calories a day. As women we're so conditioned to eat less calories than a toddler requires, quality doesn't matter if the quantity isn't there & undernourishment is a HUGE cause for violent periods.

Why?

Because hunger (rather felt of not) = stress = jacked up cortisol = jacked up estrogen.

Download a food tracking app like Cronometer, have her get honest with herself about how little she's likely eating, begin working with aspirin daily (not just when bleeding) to help lower prolactin/estrogen levels.

In all honesty I'd not touch hormones (not even Progest-E) until you get those panels back.

Lastly, she's flooding & she didn't have periods on HBC she had hormone induced bleeding not a womb lining shedding.

Get a Shepards purse tincture to slow those flooding episodes.
This is good advice.

@tommyg130
She’s more than likely high cortisol low thyroid.

Food is the best medicine.

Her diet you have listed above is limited and restrictive.

OP
T

tommyg130

This is good advice.

@tommyg130
She’s more than likely high cortisol low thyroid.

Food is the best medicine.

Her diet you have listed above is limited and restrictive.
It’s not really restricted , nor limited . I just listed the main foods. What would
You suggest adding ?

I'm.No.One

You and she are doing way better than I was at that age, research wise. No doubt you’ll figure it out!

That extra bleeding was the aspirin. Sometimes I take progest-e a little after starting if I feel I need to wean down. Sometimes not.
Just to add if she bled heavy from aspirin it's likely that she's low in vitamin K's.

Aspirin doesn't make me bleed heavier since I've a.) Been eating enough calories b.) keep up on my vit K levels.

Every body is a bit different for sure but thought it might be worth adding.

Shoot her level of bleeding is a pretty good indicator that she's lost some blood clotting functions.

Peatful

It’s not really restricted , nor limited . I just listed the main foods. What would
You suggest adding ?
In my healing- I ate anything that sat with me and kept my blood sugar steady; to not stress my adrenals with BS regulation.

When your adrenals are overworked regulating low BS or erratic BS- it decreases their job in producing progesterone. So, more progesterone and lower estrogen- which is what she wants.
Lower estrogen, hence better thyroid function....

I'm.No.One

You suggest adding ?
The thing is though you have no idea if she's restricting foods, seeing someone eat near you is not an indicator of them being nourished.

Disordered eating is insidious. Most women don't even know they're doing it.

So, It actually needs to be tracked.

With the free Cronometer app you'll be able to visually see:

1.) That she's likely not eating anywhere near the amount of calories needed & remember not feeling hungry means she's living off of stress hormones not that she's eating enough.

2.) You'll be able to see what macros/micros/nutrients in general she's not getting enough of which is a good step in the right direction of knowing what else she needs to eat.

I ate "good foods" & thought I ate enough, had horrible cramps/heavy bleeding, I also without doing it on purpose ate less than 2000 calories a day.

A year into eating well, gaining 15lbs, I now barely have cramps & only moderately bleed for the first few days then it's light after that with no cramping.

If a woman has violent cycles it's a HUGE indicator of a stressed out/malnourished body, the next step in this horrible dance is eventually we stop bleeding or have erratic cycles.

Remember, we're not machines. Tossing a hormone in there (even if it shows low on a blood panel) isn't a fix, it's a bandaid to likely a much bigger issue.

Lastly, bleeding that heavy I sure hope she eats the hell out of liver on a regular basis & all of her copper/iron is likely crazy low.

Oh yeah... 99% of tampons are FULL of horrendous endocrine disruptors, so are throw away pads.

While it's not likely the primary cause MANY women find some relief when they remove these chemicals from their life, it wouldn't be instant though. But worth learning about reusable pads & period underwear to stop public bleed throughs.

Peachy

Just to add if she bled heavy from aspirin it's likely that she's low in vitamin K's.

Aspirin doesn't make me bleed heavier since I've a.) Been eating enough calories b.) keep up on my vit K levels.

Every body is a bit different for sure but thought it might be worth adding.

Shoot her level of bleeding is a pretty good indicator that she's lost some blood clotting functions.
That makes a lot of sense. Aspirin shouldn’t increase bleeding so noticeably. I don’t notice it either when menstruating - and I eat plenty of k2 foods.

I'm.No.One

That makes a lot of sense. Aspirin shouldn’t increase bleeding so noticeably. I don’t notice it either when menstruating - and I eat plenty of k2 foods.
Shoot I almost want to say since using aspirin on a regular basis my bleeding has actually slowed, probably the lower prolactin levels.

I'm.No.One

What would be the calories for a 40 year old woman?
2500 a day is the base line, if you're pretty active/work out/high stress load at least 3000 a day.

Eat 500 calories 5x a day & you'll be at 2500 calories.

Looks like: Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.

Then, if you're active or whatever add another 500 cal snack before bed & you're all set.

OP
T

tommyg130

Is vitamin E safe even once the period has started ? Or only before

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals