Help me design a sustainable low-fat diet

cremes

I've read many of the threads here and in other RP forums. I want to take a crack and putting all of my ideas into one place and get some feedback. Applying the RP principles and layering in some ideas from Broda Barnes, William Kempner, and others.

Shoot for 2400 Calories but provide sufficient flexibility for adherents to dial it up/down a few hundred calories to suit their needs.

* Potatoes, baked or boiled, and peeled (starchy carbs with a great vitamin, enzyme, and protein profile, could be a small problem for some with nightshade sensitivity, good for those with gluten sensitivity)
* White rice boiled in chicken or beef bone broth (starchy carbs with poor vitamin profile, but broth fills in some enzyme gaps plus it provides flavor, swap for those with nightshade sensitivity, use potatoes for those with grain sensitivities)
* Low-fat 1% milk or defatted milk (great vitamin, protein, and low-fat profile)
* Raw carrot, shaved, tossed with some kind of wine vinegar and 76F coconut oil (medium-chain triglycerides, some acid, and a bile acid agonist)
* 3 to 8 grams of white salt (electrolyte, flavor enhancer)
* Well-cooked spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, or other plus parsley garnish; boiled in low-fat milk (vitamin K, folate, apigenins, polyphenols)
* Fresh-squeezed and strained orange juice (good vitamin profile, sugar)
* lean beef or lamb (animal protein, good saturated fat profile ~45%, MUFA at ~40%, PUFA ~10%)
* coffee or tea, any kind (caffeine, polyphenols, catechins/flavanoids/theabrownin depending on tea type)
* raw honey (a bazillion benefits, but let's just list policosanols to be cheeky)
* hot sauce (capsacin, vinegar)
* dark chocolate (magnesium, copper, sugar)

This is just laying out the basic building blocks for a menu. I'll need to spend some time with cronometer.com to figure out quantities for a 3-meal daily plan that matches the 2400 calorie goal. The anchor elements are the potatoes, rice, and milk. We want to stave off malnutrition so picking "perfect" foods is a good start.

Two primary complaints about low-fat diets is palatability and monotony. Perhaps the addition of hot sauce, some greens, and honey will address this issue. I'll have to mull some recipes.

A secondary complaint is that it down regulates bile acid production and may lead to worse metabolic disharmony. I put some lean beef or lamb on the list with the idea that once or twice per week, there would be a _single meal_ containing a few ounces of meat. This helps with the primary complaint of monotony, but it also addresses the issue of bile acid production I believe. Even _lean_ red meat still contains 30% fat by weight or volume (roughly). The ratios of SF:MUFA:PUFA are as good as it gets with a ruminant animal, so keeping quantity in check is key.

Notable exclusions:
* eggs (we can get choline from the milk)
* liver (the potatoes, milk, and small amounts of red meat cover this but with less density)
* onions (do we really need quercetin?)
* chicken (it's lean but its fat profile is too high in PUFA)
* fresh fruit (I'd like some but is it necessary?)

Are these the right building blocks to start with? Any mandatory additions or deletions?

Let's chat about this for a bit, then with a revised set of building blocks we can put together some meal plans and quantities.

Jennifer

I've read many of the threads here and in other RP forums. I want to take a crack and putting all of my ideas into one place and get some feedback. Applying the RP principles and layering in some ideas from Broda Barnes, William Kempner, and others.

Shoot for 2400 Calories but provide sufficient flexibility for adherents to dial it up/down a few hundred calories to suit their needs.

* Potatoes, baked or boiled, and peeled (starchy carbs with a great vitamin, enzyme, and protein profile, could be a small problem for some with nightshade sensitivity, good for those with gluten sensitivity)
* White rice boiled in chicken or beef bone broth (starchy carbs with poor vitamin profile, but broth fills in some enzyme gaps plus it provides flavor, swap for those with nightshade sensitivity, use potatoes for those with grain sensitivities)
* Low-fat 1% milk or defatted milk (great vitamin, protein, and low-fat profile)
* Raw carrot, shaved, tossed with some kind of wine vinegar and 76F coconut oil (medium-chain triglycerides, some acid, and a bile acid agonist)
* 3 to 8 grams of white salt (electrolyte, flavor enhancer)
* Well-cooked spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, or other plus parsley garnish; boiled in low-fat milk (vitamin K, folate, apigenins, polyphenols)
* Fresh-squeezed and strained orange juice (good vitamin profile, sugar)
* lean beef or lamb (animal protein, good saturated fat profile ~45%, MUFA at ~40%, PUFA ~10%)
* coffee or tea, any kind (caffeine, polyphenols, catechins/flavanoids/theabrownin depending on tea type)
* raw honey (a bazillion benefits, but let's just list policosanols to be cheeky)
* hot sauce (capsacin, vinegar)
* dark chocolate (magnesium, copper, sugar)

This is just laying out the basic building blocks for a menu. I'll need to spend some time with cronometer.com to figure out quantities for a 3-meal daily plan that matches the 2400 calorie goal. The anchor elements are the potatoes, rice, and milk. We want to stave off malnutrition so picking "perfect" foods is a good start.

Two primary complaints about low-fat diets is palatability and monotony. Perhaps the addition of hot sauce, some greens, and honey will address this issue. I'll have to mull some recipes.

A secondary complaint is that it down regulates bile acid production and may lead to worse metabolic disharmony. I put some lean beef or lamb on the list with the idea that once or twice per week, there would be a _single meal_ containing a few ounces of meat. This helps with the primary complaint of monotony, but it also addresses the issue of bile acid production I believe. Even _lean_ red meat still contains 30% fat by weight or volume (roughly). The ratios of SF:MUFA:PUFA are as good as it gets with a ruminant animal, so keeping quantity in check is key.

Notable exclusions:
* liver (the potatoes, milk, and small amounts of red meat cover this but with less density)

Are these the right building blocks to start with? Any mandatory additions or deletions?

Let's chat about this for a bit, then with a revised set of building blocks we can put together some meal plans and quantities.

Maybe add a serving of shellfish once a week for trace minerals such as selenium?

David PS

Notable exclusions:
Higher intake of dietary flavonols, specifically dietary quercetin, is associated with lower odds of frailty onset over 12-years of follow-up among adults in the Framingham Heart Study - Am J Clin Nutr 2023 Apr 13 -
"Mean age was 58.4 years (SD ± 8.3, n=1,701; 55.5% women). Mean total flavonoid intake was 309 mg/day (SD ± 266). After 12.4 (SD ± 0.8) years, 224 (13.2%) individuals developed frailty. While total flavonoid intake was not statistically associated with frailty onset [adjusted OR-1.00; 95%CI: 0.99-1.01], each 10 mg/day of flavonols intake was linked with 20% lower odds of frailty onset [OR-0.80; 95%CI: 0.67-0.96]. Other subclasses showed no association (p-values range: 0.12-0.99), but every 10 mg/day of quercetin intake was associated with 35% lower odds of frailty onset [OR-0.65; 95%CI: 0.48-0.88]" -

Last edited:

Hiep

Some of the foods you listed are considered to have high (potatoes, dark chocolate) to extremely high (spinach) oxalate content which is not good for your long term health.

Cooking spinach in milk helps (i.e. some of the oxalates will bind with the calcium) but personally, I'd avoid spinach altogether.

I know Ray advocated white potatoes but if you switch to new red potatoes, you can effectively cut the oxalate content to less than half.

Dark chocolate may be considered a superfood but in terms of oxalates, milk chocolate is better for you/less harmful (due to its lower cacao content).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals