High Protein Is Officially Anti-Peat As Ray Became A Low Protein Advocate In His Final Years (Video Jun 24, 2022)

OP
C

Clyde

With Roddy it sounded like he decided a 50:1 total calorie to protein calorie ratio is better for health and he's only excluding growing children from that formula. Technically it isn't "general" bc he excludes children but it's pretty close.
Pardon my math. It's 50 grams protein=200cal (4 cal per gram). So 200cal/2500cal total which is up to 8% of total calories from protein.

Natives from New Guinea lived on sweet potatoes for generations and I believe they were eating around 5% protein. Dr. Peat mentioned them a few times. They adapted fine.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clyde

"A dietary survey undertaken in the Western Highlands in 1972 showed that the diet consisted almost entirely of sweet potato. The daily energy intake was 2300 for males and 1770 kilocalories for females. Of the total energy intake, 94% was derived from carbohydrate, 3% from protein and 2.4% from fat (76). Adults were consuming only 25g of protein per day. By contrast, Australians derive 40% of their calories from fat and consume approximately 100g of protein per day. However, in spite of their low protein intake, the New Guineans represented a remarkably healthy group."

SOURCE: WHO Western Pacific | World Health Organization (pg. 21)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes exactly. Dr. Peat was sick and I’m sure knew he was sick.
His diet made him sick.
Lowering protein was an attempt to remediate some of his health problems, not a general recommendation.
Lowering protein was an attempt to get away from his toxic diet. If his diet was so good, why in the world would it make him sick and why would he be looking for an alternative?

EustaceBagge

His diet made him sick.

Lowering protein was an attempt to get away from his toxic diet. If his diet was so good, why in the world would it make him sick and why would he be looking for an alternative?
But he did cure a lot of people with his diet as well. Ray is not the inattentive type that would let a ravaging diet destroy him to only change it in his last few years. I'm sure he has a lot of patient testimonies as well. I just think that he neared the end of his life and as such tried to resist it to no avail.

I just really believe in protein as it was really a gamechanger for me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But he did cure a lot of people with his diet as well.
His diet cured me as well, from chronic fatigue syndrome. Until it didn't and the toxic load of the diet and Ray Peat lifestyle caught up, so then effectively it is not a cure. Suppressing is not a cure. Eventually the toxin always wins.

His diet made him sick.

it is perfectly reasonable to want to lower protein at age 85, which may not involve a toxic diet for someone who is 40 and super active. I think everyone needs to think about their situation.

Dr. Peat was sick I think with some form of long covid virus. Of course, many here don't believe in viruses.

Peater

it is perfectly reasonable to want to lower protein at age 85, which may not involve a toxic diet for someone who is 40 and super active. I think everyone needs to think about their situation.

Dr. Peat was sick I think with some form of long covid virus. Of course, many here don't believe in viruses.

Did he ever mention catching COVID? I remember something about wildfire smoke, and vegetable allergies.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@charlie

Ray's diet also initially resolved some of the issues I had developed due to the keto/OMAD regimen. However, it wasn't long before other severe problems began to arise.

Did he ever mention catching COVID? I remember something about wildfire smoke, and vegetable allergies.
He didn’t but it seemed that way to me. I think the smoke and allergies was a form of denial. He was quite sick and although maybe medical attention wouldn’t have helped, maybe it would have.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Peat was sick I think with some form of long covid virus.
Anthony Mawson has shown what is happening for the flu, or covid and the like. Nothing more than "vitamin A" toxicity rearing its ugly head.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Peater

He didn’t but it seemed that way to me. I think the smoke and allergies was a form of denial. He was quite sick and although maybe medical attention wouldn’t have helped, maybe it would have.
It's quite sad listening to some of the last videos. He really didn't sound well but it's so much more noticeable in hindsight. It must have been gradual.

Peater

Well he had been against high intake of cysteine, methionine and tryptophan for decades
Is there a case to be made for those aminos then? I've not looked into it too deeply, just accepted it thinking a balance is probably best and it is easy to eat a lot of muscle meat.

lamassu

Is there a case to be made for those aminos then? I've not looked into it too deeply, just accepted it thinking a balance is probably best and it is easy to eat a lot of muscle meat.
Yes they have physiologic functions. Like many things they seem to have valuable functions in the appropriate amount where too little or too much could have negative effects. I guess the trick is finding the sweet spot. I can't say I have it perfected but I just try to consume supplemental gelatin and more collagenous cuts of meat and tendon.

Peater

I guess the trick is finding the sweet spot. I can't say I have it perfected but I just try to consume supplemental gelatin and more collagenous cuts of meat and tendon.
Same here. Sometimes some beef gelatine based Haribos. The ingredients aren't perfect but they are reasonable for 'off the shelf' sweets.

Nebula

His diet made him sick.

He was 86. Well beyond the life expectancy of American males. I do think Peat’s lifetime of experimentation both hurt and helped his health though. But you can’t say it cut his life unnaturally short. 86 is well above average.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals