Homemade High-Protein Milk?

J

j.

I noticed that milk powder dissolves after adding it to liquid milk (just the normal milk). That of course would increase the protein/water ratio. Would this be a more efficient way of consuming something like the "water-reduced milk" or something like that, that some here consume?

Some people say that in the process of making milk powder, the cholesterol is oxidized and turned into a really bad form. If this is true, fat-free milk powder would probably be better. Are there issues with fat-free milk powder without bad additives?

There are milk powder brands without bad additives, at least in some countries. I think NIDO tends to have additives.

mt_dreams

The extensive heating process needed to turn the milk into a powder will also denature the milk protein. Unless you are only drinking raw milk, this probably wont be a problem digesting, but it might nevertheless effect absorption/bio-availability of protein. I use organic milk powder for things like ice cream, and to charge up my milk after a workout. If time is not an issue (and I'm trying to manage my fluid intake), my preferred method of high protein/sugar milk is to condense skimmed raw milk from my local farmer in a double boiler. Peat once stated in a Rubin podcast that condensed milk is the safer of the two if you don't have access to standard milk. Most milk powders I've seen are fat free. If you are taking in enough vitamin A & D, brands like Organic Valley, Now, Frontier, do not supplement in any vitamins, it's just pure skim milk powder.

SQu

If you ever consider commercial condensed milk - I was told by a Nestle exec that their condensed milk is made by reconstituting powdered milk. Worth bearing in mind.

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
I noticed that milk powder dissolves after adding it to liquid milk (just the normal milk). That of course would increase the protein/water ratio. Would this be a more efficient way of consuming something like the "water-reduced milk" or something like that, that some here consume?

Some people say that in the process of making milk powder, the cholesterol is oxidized and turned into a really bad form. If this is true, fat-free milk powder would probably be better. Are there issues with fat-free milk powder without bad additives?

There are milk powder brands without bad additives, at least in some countries. I think NIDO tends to have additives.

I tried this idea of yours several times and used a blender. The shake I got gave me a serious metabolism boost. I was sweating profusely after downing a shake that had about 50g of protein in it, my temp was 99 degrees and pulse was 90+ bpm. The problem is that you will be getting a lot of tryptophan this way, and for me at least this gives me some blurred vission issues. So now, I add hydrolyzed gelatin instead and the shake still has 50g of protein but is basically 35g of milk protein and 15g (one tablespoon) of gelatin. I drink it immediately after mixing so that it does not solidify. I usually take my 5g of BCAA with that shake and it does give a serious mental and libido boost, probably due to lowered serotonin.

OP
J

j.

haidut, are there any special tips to ensure the gelatin dissolves?

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
haidut, are there any special tips to ensure the gelatin dissolves?

If you are buying the Great Lakes hydrolyzed version than there is nothing that needs to be done to the milk. The hydrolyzed gelatin will dissolve pretty well even in cold milk with some (non-vigorous) stirring with a spoon. If you are buying regular gelatin like Knox or some other brand like that then I heat the milk first and then stir the gelatin and milk with a blender to make a shake. Even non-hydrolyzed gelatin will dissolve pretty well in hot milk, especially when blenders get involved.

OP
J

j.

haidut said:
The problem is that you will be getting a lot of tryptophan this way, and for me at least this gives me some blurred vission issues.

I had the same experience today. After adding milk powder to liquid milk for a few days, I think I need to add some gelatin as well.

I wonder though if the effect comes from the fact that the tryptophan is digested too fast in this form, and whether consuming tryptophan more gradually wouldn't case that feeling.

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
haidut said:
The problem is that you will be getting a lot of tryptophan this way, and for me at least this gives me some blurred vission issues.

I had the same experience today. After adding milk powder to liquid milk for a few days, I think I need to add some gelatin as well.

I wonder though if the effect comes from the fact that the tryptophan is digested too fast in this form, and whether consuming tryptophan more gradually wouldn't case that feeling.

I remember reading a study that said an amount of 1g+ of tryptophan consumed at once affects the heart rhythm in a bad way. It was an old study so I have trouble finding it. But if you are mixing milk powder with milk it will definitely get that high per serving. I think milk has something like 2g of tryptophan per 100g of milk protein, depending on milk source. Camel and human milk have low tryptophan, I think.

OP
J

j.

I had hyperventilation frequently last night, which can be triggered by high serotonin (a tryptophan derivative), had a backpack to breathe in occasionally. I don't think I got to 1 gram, but the cumulative effect throughout the day might have increased serotonin a lot. I'll be using more gelatin and less milk powder.

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
I had hyperventilation frequently last night, which can be triggered by high serotonin (a tryptophan derivative), had a backpack to breathe in occasionally. I don't think I got to 1 gram, but the cumulative effect throughout the day might have increased serotonin a lot. I'll be using more gelatin and less milk powder.

Take some BCAA with it, if you have a pure product. BCAA do not just compete with tryptophan for transport through the BBB, they also inhibit tryptophan absorption from the gut, so you would end up excreting a good portion of it without it doing damage.

OP
J

j.

I'm well now, took a tiny bit of thyroid last night and that helped. I haven't found a protein powder without lecithin, since I can just use gelatin without lecithin, I'd rather use gelatin.

Rickyman

I remember reading a study that said an amount of 1g+ of tryptophan consumed at once affects the heart rhythm in a bad way. It was an old study so I have trouble finding it. But if you are mixing milk powder with milk it will definitely get that high per serving. I think milk has something like 2g of tryptophan per 100g of milk protein, depending on milk source. Camel and human milk have low tryptophan, I think.

What about goats milk? I didn't find much in the forum.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals