How Do You Make Your Dough?

Lee Simeon

Hi, what do you guys do for a living? I have read that there are some professions that our boy Ray keeps on roasting, whether it is based on radiation or high stress, it leaves numerous jobs of the table. I was just wondering what do you do for a living, and what experiences do you have regarding your profession? As an 18 year old who is halfway in my last year of school, and have no idea as to what to do with my life, I am both grateful and curious for your responses :)

lampofred

Ray is a great guy but if you look up to to him in terms of monetary/financial/corporate issues you will be broke lol.

Unless you have rich parents or hit the lottery, try to find something you don't mind doing because you're gonna have to do it at least 5 days a week. Things I wish I knew at 18: Your high school friends don't really care about you. The high school nonsense goes away after you graduate. If you live at a college dorm then the nonsense continues but you don't have to live at college. Most college degrees are useless and to add insult to injury you put yourself in years of debt. When you go for a job no one really checks to see if you went to the college you claim to have gone. If you know the stuff you claim to know about that job then they will soon find out if you're lying from what you do on the job, not because you went to school for it. Around 25-30 years old many girls you went to HS with start popping out kids and everyone works full time. No one has time to do anything. And even if they do have time, people change. Your interests will be different than what they were in HS so even though you like the idea of hanging out with an old friend, often times it's just awkward because you don't share any common interests anymore, or even worse you find out they they've become an SJW (not that I really care if an old friend became an SJW because we simply don't have to talk politics but chances are they would want to talk about it) If you're still close friends with someone at 30 from HS then you know you'll always be friends. There's a difference between a true friend and an acquaintance. I got into the "health" thing at 20. Now I'm 30. Ten years goes by very fast. The older you get, the faster time goes by. The difference between 10 -20 is a lot. The difference between 20-30 is not as much but by 30 you should be much smarter. My biggest regrets with the health thing are smoking cigarettes, eating too much junk food and getting fat and sick and wasting a ton of money on useless supplements. You may ask "if you were into health then why were you smoking and eating junk food?" It's been 10 years. I didn't smoke and eat junk that whole time. I smoked American Spirits thinking it was okay because they have no additives for about 3 years. I ate junk food for about those same 3 years because there were people in the health world that were saying that eating pizza, ice cream, burgers and boneless buffalo wings dipped in ranch sauce was good because it meant that I wasn't orthorexic and that I had to "enjoy my life." That is complete bulls *it. Do not get yourself into debt. Only have one credit card and use it for emergencies only. If you do go to college and get college loans, make sure that it's a degree that you will actually use or else you will be pissed off for years that you have that debt looming over you and you don't even use that degree. Don't do what your family wants you to do or seek their approval. Do what you wanna do. The key is figuring out what that is.

Last edited:

Wagner83

Something which I found true for myself is the need for movement, if you have no idea what you want to do then keep doing things and learning new stuff. You can't find answers while being still. You can't even expect to end up doing what you think you'll be doing or what you have decided to do now. The journey is a long and short one at the same time.
like reading Mark Manson's articles and "the subtle art of how to not give a ****" too (a sort of collection of many articles). Mark Manson - Author. Thinker. Life Enthusiast.
Moving abroad could be tempting, in most countries of Europe going to university is extremely cheaper.
This isn't really an answer to your question but it's my answer nonetheless.

FredSonoma

Unless you have rich parents or hit the lottery, try to find something you don't mind doing because you're gonna have to do it at least 5 days a week. Things I wish I knew at 18: Your high school friends don't really care about you. The high school nonsense goes away after you graduate. If you live at a college dorm then the nonsense continues but you don't have to live at college. Most college degrees are useless and to add insult to injury you put yourself in years of debt. When you go for a job no one really checks to see if you went to the college you claim to have gone. If you know the stuff you claim to know about that job then they will soon find out if you're lying from what you do on the job, not because you went to school for it. Around 25-30 years old many girls you went to HS with start popping out kids and everyone works full time. No one has time to do anything. And even if they do have time, people change. Your interests will be different than what they were in HS so even though you like the idea of hanging out with an old friend, often times it's just awkward because you don't share any common interests anymore, or even worse you find out they they've become an SJW (not that I really care if an old friend became an SJW because we simply don't have to talk politics but chances are they would want to talk about it) If you're still close friends with someone at 30 from HS then you know you'll always be friends. There's a difference between a true friend and an acquaintance. I got into the "health" thing at 20. Now I'm 30. Ten years goes by very fast. The older you get, the faster time goes by. The difference between 10 -20 is a lot. The difference between 20-30 is not as much but by 30 you should be much smarter. My biggest regrets with the health thing are smoking cigarettes, eating too much junk food and getting fat and sick and wasting a ton of money on useless supplements. You may ask "if you were into health then why were you smoking and eating junk food?" It's been 10 years. I didn't smoke and eat junk that whole time. I smoked American Spirits thinking it was okay because they have no additives for about 3 years. I ate junk food for about those same 3 years because there were people in the health world that were saying that eating pizza, ice cream, burgers and boneless buffalo wings dipped in ranch sauce was good because it meant that I wasn't orthorexic and that I had to "enjoy my life." That is complete bulls *it. Do not get yourself into debt. Only have one credit card and use it for emergencies only. If you do go to college and get college loans, make sure that it's a degree that you will actually use or else you will be pissed off for years that you have that debt looming over you and you don't even use that degree. Don't do what your family wants you to do or seek their approval. Do what you wanna do. The key is figuring out what that is.

good post, enjoyed the part about friends becoming SJWs hahaha

why do you regret smoking? are you still dealing with issues from it despite quitting?

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

Something which I found true for myself is the need for movement, if you have no idea what you want to do then keep doing things and learning new stuff. You can't find answers while being still. You can't even expect to end up doing what you think you'll be doing or what you have decided to do now. The journey is a long and short one at the same time.
like reading Mark Manson's articles and "the subtle art of how to not give a ****" too (a sort of collection of many articles). Mark Manson - Author. Thinker. Life Enthusiast.
Moving abroad could be tempting, in most countries of Europe going to university is extremely cheaper.
This isn't really an answer to your question but it's my answer nonetheless.
Ait dude, I see your point. I have lived in the same city for 18 years, so I am considering moving to the capital, or just moving to another country for a year or so. I think you are right on that movement part, while I am considering a year of school, I do not want it to be a passive year. Where I am at right now, I do want to start a business or a side hustle besides work. Ye, Mark Manson has some great articles man, thanks :)

why do you regret smoking? are you still dealing with issues from it despite quitting?

For many reasons. Nicotine and possibly other natural chemicals in tobacco leaf are probably fine on their own. It's the smoke that damages tissues. But even if nicotine is fine it still messes with the brain. It stimulates dopamine. Cocaine does that too. Playing with substances that mess with your dopamine too much may result in brain fog, depression etc. which is why people need it to feel normal again, the hallmark of addiction. For a few months out of those 3, I foolishly rolled my own American Spirit tobacco and smoked without a filter. That would give me the hypoxia "high" for 10 seconds that I sought. I probably damaged my lungs and increased the risk of COPD and possibly cancer. Also the money spent. Probably around 5k. Vaping seems odd and it still involves breathing and the lungs. Someone should invent an additive-free nicotine patch that comes from tobacco leaf so you get all of the natural compounds. Something like that could be used therapeutically. Smoke is smoke. It's toxic.

Last edited:

FredSonoma

For many reasons. Nicotine and possibly other natural chemicals in tobacco leaf are probably find on their own. It's the smoke that damages tissues. But even if nicotine is fine it still messes with the brain. It stimulates dopamine. Cocaine does that too. Playing with substances that mess with your dopamine too much may result in brain fog, depression etc. which is why people need it to feel normal again, the hallmark of addiction. For a few months out of those 3, I foolishly rolled my own American Spirit tobacco and smoked without a filter. That would give me the hypoxia "high" for 10 seconds that I sought. I probably damaged my lungs and increased the risk of COPD and possibly cancer. Also the money spent. Probably around 5k. Vaping seems odd and it still involves breathing and the lungs. Someone should invent an additive-free nicotine patch that comes from tobacco leaf so you get all of the natural compounds. Something like that could be used therapeutically. Smoke is smoke. It's toxic.
Got it will definitely keep all this in mind!

Ait dude, I see your point. I have lived in the same city for 18 years, so I am considering moving to the capital, or just moving to another country for a year or so. I think you are right on that movement part, while I am considering a year of school, I do not want it to be a passive year. Where I am at right now, I do want to start a business or a side hustle besides work. Ye, Mark Manson has some great articles man, thanks :)

nice idea... not sure if you are in the USA, but i recommend you go to an in-state public university if you are because it is cheaper, if you don't know what job you want, study something in STEM because there are jobs there (computer science probably sticks out) yeah it is bad because you are behind a computer, but you can crank out 100k a year and get into management and it's better than getting a random degree with no job prospects, join a party/popular fraternity in college, or one that you see hanging out with the hottest sorority because it will give you access to the best women you may not previously have and best access overall socially, try to hook up/date the hottest girls but always wear protection, always and don't hook up with girls that sleep around a lot

college is really good if you go in right after high school, everyones on the same level as you, and it's a really good transition from high school to real world and make a lot of connections.

you can travel after college in a transition between college and a job, i think it's better if you are the same age as everyone, everyone is going be 18 in the dorms, try to get a college with a dorm where there are shared restrooms, that makes the dorms way more social so you can meet more people, makes a big difference

bonus tip: go to a college where they let you do the duel bachelors/masters and get your masters in 5 years with a bachelors ive seen. if you are in the STEM field with a masters, you are auto more qualified than all the bachelors and go through the same college hiring program, and they pay you more, or many companies will pay for your masters degree while you work there, could be worth it to get it for the bigger paycheck

if you want to do the whole business on your own thing and become mark zuckerberg, go for it, but go to college at the same time

Last edited:

managing

Amazes me how much you and I agree if we stay away from politics and science. This is pretty darn good advice. And I've got 16 years on you and it still sounds right on the money.

managing

This is a great point. I've done major relocation/reboot twice in my life and am now considering a third. It takes a special kind of courage/ignorance, but you are forever changed. I can't call it all 100% good if you take it point by point, but the growing, maturation, perspective is 100% desirable.

mt_dreams

i didn't know what i wanted to do either. i lasted 7 months in uni when i realized this was not going to work. what to do next depends on desire. i have friends that went the life experience route and either traveled or tried many various intern/apprentice jobs. for the most part this was enjoyable (way more exciting than my work experiences) and rewarding. some found their 'calling' and worked towards it, other just fell into doable jobs. i never liked the idea of somehow being forced to go to work so i just worked as hard as i could (and saved everything) for 7 years and pooled that money into rental properties to allow me to not work for a living. these days i just follow my passions as they come. if ever i desire getting into a field professionally, i will not be stressed about the monetary aspects of the field. this wont work for someone who needs their job to be their calling / purpose in life.

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

nice idea... not sure if you are in the USA, but i recommend you go to an in-state public university if you are because it is cheaper, if you don't know what job you want, study something in STEM because there are jobs there (computer science probably sticks out) yeah it is bad because you are behind a computer, but you can crank out 100k a year and get into management and it's better than getting a random degree with no job prospects, join a party/popular fraternity in college, or one that you see hanging out with the hottest sorority because it will give you access to the best women you may not previously have and best access overall socially, try to hook up/date the hottest girls but always wear protection, always and don't hook up with girls that sleep around a lot

college is really good if you go in right after high school, everyones on the same level as you, and it's a really good transition from high school to real world and make a lot of connections.

you can travel after college in a transition between college and a job, i think it's better if you are the same age as everyone, everyone is going be 18 in the dorms, try to get a college with a dorm where there are shared restrooms, that makes the dorms way more social so you can meet more people, makes a big difference

bonus tip: go to a college where they let you do the duel bachelors/masters and get your masters in 5 years with a bachelors ive seen. if you are in the STEM field with a masters, you are auto more qualified than all the bachelors and go through the same college hiring program, and they pay you more, or many companies will pay for your masters degree while you work there, could be worth it to get it for the bigger paycheck

if you want to do the whole business on your own thing and become mark zuckerberg, go for it, but go to college at the same time
Cool, thanks man!

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

This is a great point. I've done major relocation/reboot twice in my life and am now considering a third. It takes a special kind of courage/ignorance, but you are forever changed. I can't call it all 100% good if you take it point by point, but the growing, maturation, perspective is 100% desirable.
If you dont mind me asking, where have you relocated, and from where?

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

i didn't know what i wanted to do either. i lasted 7 months in uni when i realized this was not going to work. what to do next depends on desire. i have friends that went the life experience route and either traveled or tried many various intern/apprentice jobs. for the most part this was enjoyable (way more exciting than my work experiences) and rewarding. some found their 'calling' and worked towards it, other just fell into doable jobs. i never liked the idea of somehow being forced to go to work so i just worked as hard as i could (and saved everything) for 7 years and pooled that money into rental properties to allow me to not work for a living. these days i just follow my passions as they come. if ever i desire getting into a field professionally, i will not be stressed about the monetary aspects of the field. this wont work for someone who needs their job to be their calling / purpose in life.
Sweet, thanks dude!

managing

If you dont mind me asking, where have you relocated, and from where?
Most recently from the east coast US to west coast US. Before that the midwest. Getting away from your roots is educational and expands the mind and soul. Regardless of the relative merits of where you came from or where you are going.

I also highly recommend travel. Even on the cheap. I've backpacked Europe and Japan as an adult and wish I had done it when I was younger. I'll encourage and support my children in that to the extent that I can too.

D

Deleted member 5487

The most authoritative and destructive thing you can do is be employed under a modern corporation.

The system is set up for neoserfdom.

People are so dependent on employers for both their income, medical insurance, pensions, retirements..etc.

1) Add in an authoritative structure(boss)
2) high overhead materalism(mortgage, car payments, credit card debts, student loan)

Essentially you are a serf, free to roam the country, but tied down regardless of where you work.

People hate to hear the game is rigged, and they are trapped, but it's largely true.

"People work for fiat currency, then it's taxed, taken from them to pay for other generations retirements, given to wall street to gamble with 401k, and losses value every year at 2% compounded.

The only sensible strategy is:

1) Self employed sales
2) Online business sales
3) Independent or highly skilled engineer in space, robotics, tech, and WAR(ray/lockheed)
3) No mortgage, overhead minimal, old card, low rent

Last edited by a moderator:

danielbb

Many degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on. Here is a pretty good correlation if you are thinking about college, the harder the degree is to obtain - the more lucrative it is. I know, I know, you have to love what you do. My daughter just graduated from pharmacy school and has spent the last six+ years in the library just about 24/7. She's now a practicing pharmacist and is starting at the very top of the food chain in terms of income but there was a "price" that had to be paid to achieve that. My main concern for her and other lines of work frankly is robotics phasing jobs out over time. She assures me she is in no danger. I am an Electrical Engineer (also a patent attorney) and can assure you Engineering is a highly rewarding profession with a future. Become the guy who is designing the robots and you won't have to worry about losing your job to one. Engineering is one of toughest of all degrees to obtain but it has good earnings potential and allows you to be creative. You can take a EE degree or Computer Science degree (along with some artistic talent perhaps) to Hollywood and start designing the latest digital special effects, animated movie, cell phone app, or what not. You could end up designing the next big thrill ride at your favorite amusement park, for example. The possibilities are endless but you have to be deadly serious in college. There is a price to be paid but it is worth it.

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

The most authoritative and destructive thing you can do is be employed under a modern corporation.

The system is set up for neoserfdom.

People are so dependent on employers for both their income, medical insurance, pensions, retirements..etc.

1) Add in an authoritative structure(boss)
2) high overhead materalism(mortgage, car payments, credit card debts, student loan)

Essentially you are a serf, free to roam the country, but tied down regardless of where you work.

People hate to hear the game is rigged, and they are trapped, but it's largely true.

"People work for fiat currency, then it's taxed, taken from them to pay for other generations retirements, given to wall street to gamble with 401k, and losses value every year at 2% compounded.

The only sensible strategy is:

1) Self employed sales
2) Online business sales
3) Independent or highly skilled engineer in space, robotics, tech, and WAR(ray/lockheed)
3) No mortgage, overhead minimal, old card, low rent
Awesome, thanks man!

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

Many degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on. Here is a pretty good correlation if you are thinking about college, the harder the degree is to obtain - the more lucrative it is. I know, I know, you have to love what you do. My daughter just graduated from pharmacy school and has spent the last six+ years in the library just about 24/7. She's now a practicing pharmacist and is starting at the very top of the food chain in terms of income but there was a "price" that had to be paid to achieve that. My main concern for her and other lines of work frankly is robotics phasing jobs out over time. She assures me she is in no danger. I am an Electrical Engineer (also a patent attorney) and can assure you Engineering is a highly rewarding profession with a future. Become the guy who is designing the robots and you won't have to worry about losing your job to one. Engineering is one of toughest of all degrees to obtain but it has good earnings potential and allows you to be creative. You can take a EE degree or Computer Science degree (along with some artistic talent perhaps) to Hollywood and start designing the latest digital special effects, animated movie, cell phone app, or what not. You could end up designing the next big thrill ride at your favorite amusement park, for example. The possibilities are endless but you have to be deadly serious in college. There is a price to be paid but it is worth it.
I have a lot of friends who are into engineering, so it has definitely been on my radar, but I think I am to bad at math. Thanks for your reply, I truly appreciate it :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals