So... How do you actually make meals out of this food?

BingDing

Such_Saturation said:
BingDing said:
The latter, thanks for the link. Is endotoxin in gelatin preparations used as tissue engineering material relevant to Great Lakes type gelatin that we eat? The abstract says it "may trigger fever, shock and a fall in blood pressure even in very minute quantities". It seems like the two are at far extremes of a continuum of endotoxin risk, in that the gut routinely handles quantities of endotoxins without fever, shock or a fall in blood pressure.

Perhaps it comes down to how much your reaction system hears about its presence.

If what I think you mean is right, then I think you are right.

Is that like when you are coming home and you get a strong urge for a BM the instant you get to the front door?

BingDing said:
Such_Saturation said:
BingDing said:
The latter, thanks for the link. Is endotoxin in gelatin preparations used as tissue engineering material relevant to Great Lakes type gelatin that we eat? The abstract says it "may trigger fever, shock and a fall in blood pressure even in very minute quantities". It seems like the two are at far extremes of a continuum of endotoxin risk, in that the gut routinely handles quantities of endotoxins without fever, shock or a fall in blood pressure.

Perhaps it comes down to how much your reaction system hears about its presence.

If what I think you mean is right, then I think you are right.

Is that like when you are coming home and you get a strong urge for a BM the instant you get to the front door?

Looks to me like a fitting concept (assuming BM is what I think it is). Also when the 7-11 clerk decides to stab you because you don't have the exact change.

OP
N

NotSoAlpha

Slappy Hands said:
Sugar is not palatable?

This "diet" is amazing for me because of the sugar and salt alone. My breakfast is the easiest, most satisfying breakfast I've ever had (about 2 pints of warm milk/gelatin and frozen blueberries/banana turned into a super purple smoothie).

In fact, that's the bulk of my diet - Warm milk made with homemade gelatin and sugar.

No, sugar is NOT palatable. I only eat sugars for the health benefits. Sweet food is yuck. Milk as a drink, is yuck. Ice-cream is also yuck, and is too cold. Cheese is good, BUT IT HAS TO BE MADE INTO SOMETHING. I would never just like, eat a piece of cheese by itself. Fruit... fruit is neutral. It's not yuck, but it's not yum either.

The main problem I'm seeing with this diet is it takes away the enjoyment of eating. Where's the UMAMI? Where's the MOUTHFEEL? Where's the WARMTH? Drinking your calories takes away all satisfaction of eating!

I mean, I'm willing to try it if it really works. It's going to be really hard though since I don't like 90% of the food Ray Peat recommends. How long does it usually take to see metabolic benefits on this diet? And once I'm improved can I go back to eating real food and maintain the benefits?

Thanks.

tara

I personally would not recommend persisting with eating anything that you find distasteful or unpleasant.
One of the things I love about the way I am eating now, is that I really like the taste of everything I eat, and if I don't like it, I don't feel compelled to eat it because it 'is good for me'. I happen to enjoy sweet food, but after avoiding it for many years, it took awhile for me to gradually increase how much I eat/drink. I sometimes get sick of it, and back off a little for a short time. I assume my tastes are telling me something about what my body needs. I usually want solid food for lunch.

If you only like sugar in the form of fruit, stick to fruit. If potatoes agree with you, eat them as part of your meals. And/or rice, though potatoes give you more protein and minerals.
There are lots of things you can do to make a solid satisfying meal with potatoes and cheese/eggs/fish/shellfish/beef/lamb.
Try incorporating milk into dishes to find if there are ways you like it.

Personally, I find satisfying at various times:
Hot potato chips cooked in coconut oil with fried cod. Or fish and rice.
Stews made with oxtail or other bony meat, onion, optional other veges eg garlic, tomatoes, capsicum etc.
Irish stew
Lamb chops.
Simple oyster soup, or other shellfish (made with milk)
Soup made with oxtail or other stock + well cooked veges, eg onion, spinach, ginger, garlic.
If I want more carbs in soup, I sometimes add rice noodles.
I am cautious about aged cheeses myself, otherwise I'd be making scalloped potatoes with cheese melted over the top.
Hash browns with fried egg.
Cooked courgettes with a little butter.
Mashed potatoes with milk.
(Decaf) cafe latte
Hot cocoa made with milk
Cheese cake with berry sauce.
Fruit and milk smoothies.
Fruit juice jelly.
etc

Some of these things would disagree with some people. Experiment.

If Peat is right, then it will never make sense to eat high PUFA food if you have other food available. You will probably always need some protein and more carbs. You' always need minerals and vitamins. Other than that, which foods are too hard on your system may be different from other people, and may change over time. What do you consider 'real food' that you want to return to eating?

BingDing

NotSoAlpha, I read your last post and pretty much said to myself "this isn't for you".

But since tara made an effort to help, I will to.

Mouthfeel is generally modified cornstarch, it's in almost all the comfort foods, which is why things all taste so similar wherever you go in the world. It's an invented adulteration of real food, designed and developed exclusively as a cheap way to make cheap, low nutrition foods edible, even palatable. It's a manufactured texture and the food industry has been very successful with it, as it makes even ground tree stumps palatable. And that is what makes it so sinister, because it is also highly toxic.

If you think modified cornstarch is real food, this really isn't for you. If you didn't know about modified cornstarch, you need to do some reading.

Tara's post is about the best advice you are ever going to get, if getting healthy and staying healthy is what you are looking for. There are plenty of shortcuts to poor health and a weak metabolism, but there are no shortcuts in the other direction.

OP
N

NotSoAlpha

Hi. Thank you guys for helping me.

I'm still going to try this diet but I am going to apply Tara's tweaks to make it more to my liking.

BingDing when I say mouthfeel I am not talking about cornstarch I am talking about the texture of a food, how it feels in your mouth. Literally mouthfeel. Like, mushrooms have a nice mouthfeel. Meat has a nice mouthfeel. Liquids don't have much of a mouthfeel.

I have one more question though: How does drinking liquid affect the digestion of solid food?

Like, it's a common belief that you shouldn't drink liquids with solid food as it impairs digestion. So, say I ate some cheese, then drank some orange juice. Would this be bad?

Cheers.

tara

NotSoAlpha said:
I have one more question though: How does drinking liquid affect the digestion of solid food?

Like, it's a common belief that you shouldn't drink liquids with solid food as it impairs digestion. So, say I ate some cheese, then drank some orange juice. Would this be bad?
Maybe there is an issue with diluting stomach acid if you drink large amounts of straight water with your meal. I wouldn't recommend drinking lots of water at one time anyway. Otherwise, I see no problem drinking with meals. For people who get too diluted drinking lots of fluids, eating more calorie dense food with drink can sometimes help. OJ and cheese sounds like a good combination, if it agrees with you.

tara

NotSoAlpha said:
I'm still going to try this diet but I am going to apply Tara's tweaks to make it more to my liking.
Just another couple of thoughts on this. If you give up on milk, it is important to get calcium from somewhere, preferably more than phosphorus. Peat has recommended eggshell calcium. I use oystershell.
If you eat much meat, balancing with gelatine improves the amino acid profile.

Sheila

Not strictly on topic but my finding is that green tin gelatine from GL gives people with gut issues sufficient to cause say an "AI" presentation more gut issues than it solves. Red tin, or setting gelatine seems to be better, purely in my observational experience than hydrolysate equivalents. I don't know if the e-book Gelatine in Nutrition and Medicine (available via GL website or Amazon) has been mentioned before, but in reading that ripper, it became more apparent to me that the molecular weight of the gelatine might account for the difference. It is a fascinating read wrt gelatine's old uses if you like that sort of thing. Larger mol weight (setting gelatine), larger particle size, even dissolved, more soothing, less irritation; whereas the hydrolysate fairy dust by comparison might just be too light and too quickly absorbed into the blood stream in those with less than optimal gut function setting up some kind of histamine reaction and certainly fluid-based weight gain around the tummy. Not sure if endotoxin from the product is the issue or not, might just be a physical irritation process?? Or both!

I may well have missed something important in my speculation, (if so please do enlighten me) but that currently is how it seems to me, so I tend to use a setting gelatine by preference if a gut is 'challenged' and hydrolysate if just protein augmentation and/or ease of use is required.

Gelatine has quite a bit of proline in it. Some people have a hard time with proline digestion (also in milk, wheat) which may, just may, be why glycine alone is more helpful. I don't know, haven't tried glycine alone. Ginger with its high level of enzymes seems to have activity on proline but there is always a fine line between stimulation and irritation. Some AI presentation clients have done very well with 1 tsp ginger juice in a little water or juice after meals 3x a day but not everyone can tolerate ginger of course. Not sure Dr Peat's take on ginger, other than most spices have some potential issues.

Just some observations.

Sheila

lindsay

Egg+milk+sugar+vanilla=custard. You just need to bake them together. Also, I used to make smoothies with milk, fruit and egg yokes. Those are tasty.

dd99

That sounds delicious, Lindsay. I could do with some custard. How do you make it?

I've been eating a fair amount of jelly recently. So easy and so tasty. Just two cups OJ, two tablespoons of gelatin (red can Great Lakes). Cover the gelatin in cold water, let it bloom for couple of minutes, then cover in boiling water and swish it round until dissolved. Pour in the OJ, stir and put in fridge for an hour or so.

lindsay

dd99 said:
That sounds delicious, Lindsay. I could do with some custard. How do you make it?

I've been eating a fair amount of jelly recently. So easy and so tasty. Just two cups OJ, two tablespoons of gelatin (red can Great Lakes). Cover the gelatin in cold water, let it bloom for couple of minutes, then cover in boiling water and swish it round until dissolved. Pour in the OJ, stir and put in fridge for an hour or so.

dd99 - I will send you the recipe in a private message. I use this one simple recipe from a book.

So I'm really keen to go full Peat mode and see if it does a better job of improving me than Matt Stone's idea did. (Matt Stone recommends eating shitloads of everything to increase your body temp... it didnt work. At all.)

But um... I'm looking at Danny Roddy's advice and Ray's advice and like, the foods they recommend sound good in theory but I'm struggling with the logistics of it.

As in, how do you actually make meals out of milk, cheese, orange juice and gelatin and eggs.

Say, for lunch... do I eat a piece of cheese then guzzle some orange juice? Do I eat some boiled eggs then guzzle milk?

I'm going to have a hard time getting enough calories on this diet, since a) the foods aren't very calorie dense and b) the foods are quite unpalatable and c) the foods don't GO together. They don't MIX well. Egg and cheese are the only things that combine well together.

I would have to drink so much orange juice and eat so much cheese and eggs to get my daily requirements.

Can you guys help me figure out the logistics? Like how to actually make tasty (or at least tolerable) meals out of Ray Peat's food recommendations?

Mega thanks.
I totally get your struggle! More than 4 years later I am finding my stride "Peating". I did lots of ice cream and Mexican Cokes and tried drinking the milk and orange juice, but I am a "foodie" wanting an amazing meal experience. I will say food pairing is so important when "Peating", so I have created many "Peaty" meals and photographed them so I can remember to keep them in my rotation. Last night I made these enchiladas! I put gobs of cheese in masa tortillas topped them with a quick made enchilada sauce made with 2 cups of bone broth and roasted fresh jalapenos on top. Pair it with mango and it is perfectly "Peaty" and good for breakfast or dinner!

Attachments

• 20210415_192330.jpg
    20210415_192330.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 26
So I'm really keen to go full Peat mode and see if it does a better job of improving me than Matt Stone's idea did. (Matt Stone recommends eating shitloads of everything to increase your body temp... it didnt work. At all.)

But um... I'm looking at Danny Roddy's advice and Ray's advice and like, the foods they recommend sound good in theory but I'm struggling with the logistics of it.

As in, how do you actually make meals out of milk, cheese, orange juice and gelatin and eggs.

Say, for lunch... do I eat a piece of cheese then guzzle some orange juice? Do I eat some boiled eggs then guzzle milk?

I'm going to have a hard time getting enough calories on this diet, since a) the foods aren't very calorie dense and b) the foods are quite unpalatable and c) the foods don't GO together. They don't MIX well. Egg and cheese are the only things that combine well together.

I would have to drink so much orange juice and eat so much cheese and eggs to get my daily requirements.

Can you guys help me figure out the logistics? Like how to actually make tasty (or at least tolerable) meals out of Ray Peat's food recommendations?

Mega thanks.
I think the biggest resolve i have had is that I cannot eat exactly like Ray Peat with all the liquids. I think more importantly isn't what to do as much as what to not do. Though I don't drink more than a cup of milk a day I try to make it up with "Peaty" veggies, like broccoli baked in cheese milky sauces, making homemade custard with milk, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt and pairing it with my braunchwaeger, or make tostadas with good masa tortillas fried in coconut oil or beef fat for many wonderful tostada combinations. Hash browns combined with parsnips and spring or green onion is an amazing dinner with or without meat, hollandaise sauces on scallops or cod cakes or just a good grass fed flat iron steak and coke feels great for many hours! Don't sweat it, just make changes little at a time, it really does pay off!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals