How does caffine boost metabolism ? (Mechanism of action)

Apple

Why do I have an aftertaste of nicotine/cigaretts when drink too much coffee ?

“Possibly more important than coffee’s ability to protect the health is the way it does it. The studies that have tried to gather evidence to show that coffee is harmful, and found the opposite, have provided insight into several diseases. For example, coffee’s effects on serotonin are very similar to carbon dioxide’s, and the thyroid hormone’s. Noticing that coffee drinking is associated with a low incidence of Parkinson’s disease could focus attention on the ways that thyroid and carbon dioxide and serotonin, estrogen, mast cells, histamine and blood clotting interact to produce nerve cell death.” -Ray Peat

no, organic is for rich people. Being rich is not peaty :))
Organic is “Peaty”, and I am far from rich. I don’t buy everything organic, just the things that are heavily sprayed like coffee. Some things are worth the cost. Like I always say, “I would rather eat half as much good stuff than twice as much crap”, but to each his own :))

Jan. 1, 2017
E-mail exchange
From raypeatclips

When you prepare the greens broth to drink the water, do you make sure to get organic greens, or do you not think it is important?

Ray Peat said:

"I think it’s worth the cost, in the case of greens."

“For me, the significance of his experiment was that plants contain natural pesticides that should be taken more seriously, without taking industrial toxins less seriously." -Ray Peat

“The use of extremely toxic pesticides has affected both the crops and the sensitivity of the human population to allergens. Sensitivities induced originally by toxic pesticides used on certain crops can probably persist after the industrial chemical has been eliminated, because the immune system is susceptible to “conditioning.” -Ray Peat

The use of extremely toxic pesticides has affected both the crops and the sensitivity of the human population to allergens. Sensitivities induced originally by toxic pesticides used on certain crops can probably persist after the industrial chemical has been eliminated, because the immune system is susceptible to “conditioning.” -Ray Peat

“Insecticide exposure has been suspected to be a factor in the increased incidence of Alzheimer's disease (Zaganas, et al., 2013), but it could be contributing to many other problems, involving inflammation, edema, and degeneration. Another important source of organophosphate poisoning is the air used to pressurize airliners, which can be contaminated with organophosphate fumes coming from the engine used to compress it.” -Ray Peat

“Intensive agricultural methods are increasing the formation of the defensive chemicals, and the industrialized crops are responsible for the great majority of the new allergies that have appeared in the last 30 years.” -Ray Peat

cjm

This is a bit above my pay grade haha thanks for the response though

No doubt, homie. Let me try again doe:

"Predominantly targeting the adenosine receptors, caffeine causes alterations in glucose homeostasis by decreasing glucose uptake into skeletal muscle, thereby causing elevations in blood glucose concentration." Caffeine and glucose homeostasis during rest and exercise in diabetes mellitus (Zaharieva & Riddell, 2013)

As I think myself about what you're asking, we're running into what Ray might call a "layers of control" problem:

"When I taught endocrinology, I annoyed my tidy-minded students* by urging them to consider the potential hormone-like action of everything in the body, and to think of layers of control, ranging from sugar, salt, and carbon dioxide, through the "official hormones," to complex nervous system actions such as expectancy, and biorhythms. Certain things [caffeine] that are active in very important processes [glucose homeostasis, ATP generation] deserve special attention as "signals," but they still have to be understood in context [you deserve a guilt-free trip to PubMed (which you parlay into SciHub for full texts) to type "caffeine + "_______" and just scroll 'til you can't help but click a title**]." The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality - Part 1

*Please keep reading, you're not tidy-minded, Sapien. If you are, then we both are. All that said, if I stumble upon the gem I think you're looking for, I'll be back.

**Ray did the work for us. Your answer is in his references: Caffeine: A vitamin-like nutrient, or adaptogen. Questions about tea and coffee, cancer and other degenerative diseases, and the hormones.

Last edited:

cjm

Quickly, a chart I found in one of the references. I don't know how much juicy stuff is going to be in those studies at a glance. By the way, this question is driving me insane. I don't know frickin' anything about caffeine.

1689020459820-1.jpg

Caffeine-Induced Increases in the Brain and Plasma Concentrations of Neuroactive Steroids in the Rat (Concas et al., 2000)

Attachments

• 1689020459820.png
    1689020459820.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 1
OP
Sapien

Sapien

@Rinse & rePeat I'm also curious which aspects of coffee are caffine independent: Peat said there is over 900 compounds in coffee!

Couldn't this be a bad thing too? Dont most plants carry Defense chemicals

FitnessMike

@Rinse & rePeat I'm also curious which aspects of coffee are caffine independent: Peat said there is over 900 compounds in coffee!

Couldn't this be a bad thing too? Dont most plants carry Defense chemicals
I think, like vegetables, the roasting of the coffee beans kills those defense mechanisms, but then there is the issue of pesticides. Maybe some pesticides in inorganic coffee “can” get neutralized, reducing their potency and ill effects, but they use so many different pesticides on just one crop, that I don’t think the high heat neutralizes the chemicals effects on every one, and probably just “shape shifts” them….

“The problem is that there are more and more reports of pesticide contamination in groundwater and ecosystems, and harmful symptoms and disorders among animals and humans in areas where coffee is grown—from skin disorders, respiratory problems, to high blood pressure, organ damage, cancer and cardiovascular disease. All of this seems to be linked to the use of pesticides in coffee production," says Athina Koutouleas, a newly graduated Ph.D. fellow at the University of Copenhagen's Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals