How much does Sunlight change during the day.

David PS

Ray has spoke about the benefits of getting morning exposure to red light. This is to explain how the color change occurs and the magnitude of the changes in the colors that occur during the day.

View: https://youtu.be/jg-V6_blOu4?t=2915

Colors near the red end of the spectrum scatter the least when they travel through the earth's atmosphere. This happens because of longer wavelength of the reddish colors. During sunset and sunrise, sunlight needs to travel more distance to reach us. Red color is able to reach us because it is scattered the least. Hence, sky appears reddish during sunrise/sunset.

Sun-exposure.png

The sky appears reddish during sunrise/sunset but it appears white at noon. At noon, the sunlight has to travel less distance to reach us. Most of the colors reaching us get scattered. Due to this, the sky appears whiter (or a lighter blue).

1660632_1791719_ans_f228694d4a884aa890bcbb01f35ce72f.png

First, it is important to remember that the brightness is of sunlight is much greater than the light bulbs that are normally used indoors. Sunlight can be 10X greater than a bulb.

natural_light_therapy_table-1.jpg

In the image below, there is much less blue light in the evening and at night than there is midday (noon). Inside sunlight has much less light in the red color of the spectrum as compared to natural light. In addition, it has comparatively less blue light. Hence, it best to speed time outside since the light is both brighter and natural. In the morning and evening it has less of the damaging blue light.

1672863253289.png

The light spectrum become more unnatural when we use artifical lights inside.

1672864623529.png

I was suprised that incandescent light does not have enough blue light. Some people may be effected by not having enough blue light in the morning. These would be people who do not get outside in the morning and use incandescent light. I posted a study about it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat & Jack Kruse right again.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
David PS

David PS

John Otts book "Health and Light" is incredible. You can also dig in with this documentary. Just look how powerful "pink" light can be:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOUA8UAEAdY&t=1515s

Light is so powerful I am trying to structure my life to where I will be outside most the time during daylight.
Thanks I will look in that. This was just to help people who do not have the time or desire to take a deep dive.

I am not longer dealing with snow covered ground, but the terain reflects light and changes the amount of blue for the worse.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Thank you for sharing great graphs!!
Great, I wanted people on the forum to understand how much sunlight changes daily. Now that I put the visuals together, I understand it better too.

OP
David PS

David PS

Mary Shomon: You talk about darkness and shorter days of winter as a stress. It’s known that more thyroid hormone is needed by some patients during colder weather. Are there other things you recommend patients do to “winterproof” their metabolism?

Dr. Ray Peat: Very bright incandescent lights are helpful, because light acts on, and restores, the same mitochondrial enzymes that are governed by the thyroid hormone. In squirrels, hibernation is brought on by the accumulation of unsaturated fats in the tissues, suppressing respiration and stimulating increased serotonin production. In humans, winter sickness is intensified by those same antithyroid substances, so it’s important to limit consumption of unsaturated fats and tryptophan (which is the source of serotonin). When a person is using a thyroid supplement, it’s common to need four times as much in December as in July.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals