How Much/What Source Thiamine to Start Off With ??

Nokoni

It made me attach myself to the ceiling using my fingernails.
Delightful characterization. I am also very sensitive to serotonin, probably naturally low levels of MAO-A. But whatever the cause, I exhibit a kind of madness when it happens. Very unpleasant, both for me and for anyone else unlucky enough to be around me at the time :)

mostlylurking

Delightful characterization. I am also very sensitive to serotonin, probably naturally low levels of MAO-A. But whatever the cause, I exhibit a kind of madness when it happens. Very unpleasant, both for me and for anyone else unlucky enough to be around me at the time :)
I noticed that I am again able to tolerate eating bananas and probably pineapple too because I have addressed my thiamine deficiency problem. Thiamine is used to clear serotonin from the brain. So if you tend to moments of madness, perhaps you might be interested in learning about the thiamine connection? I am well versed in moments of madness myself as I have heavy metal poisoning which uses up thiamine (a chemical bond happens) resulting in unfortunate "miscommunications" so I'm glad I looked into it and now supplement thiamine.

mostlylurking

I switched to allithiamine. Only downside is it's more expensive. But if you figure the cost on a "per absorbed milligram" basis I'd bet it's not actually any more expensive (though I have not done the calculations).

I am also very sensitive to serotonin, probably naturally low levels of MAO-A. But whatever the cause, I exhibit a kind of madness when it happens. Very unpleasant, both for me and for anyone else unlucky enough to be around me at the time :)
Do you think the allithiamine is clearing the serotonin as well as the nasty tasting thiamine hcl? Have you noticed any difference in the serotonin symptoms? I'm taking a horse dose of thiamine hcl (2 grams/day). I'm pretty happy and feel that I've overcome the high serotonin issue. Of course I pretty much stay at home and work in the garden a whole lot.

Nokoni

Do you think the allithiamine is clearing the serotonin
Very good question but I have no answer. When I was young we had mercury thermometers and I would play with the mercury when they broke, and we probably had lead to play with, and I once had a job handling huge quantities of powdered aluminum. I was white with it from head to toe and all through my nasal passages every day. So metal poisoning might also have something to do with the serotonin syndrome I'm prone to. Until talking to you I'd been unaware that there was such a connection.

But I was under the impression, quite possibly incorrectly, that the form of thiamine has mostly to do with getting it absorbed. And I have for quite some time taken largish doses of it. I don't remember how much HCl I once took, but it wouldn't have been tiny, and I now take 300 mg of allithiamine daily, which is the equivalent of at least some multiple of that amount in the HCl form. Also something you said above (I'm too lazy to go find it) suggested to me that the large HCl dose you take may be having some beneficial effect directly in the gut, and therefore maybe it didn't need to be absorbed more fully.

In my case I'm more inclined to suppose that I ended up with a genetic mutation called the "warrior gene", which makes one more susceptible to serotonin syndrome. With your own susceptibility you should probably also be aware of that circumstance, maybe research it a bit, even if it's unlikely to explain the susceptibility in your case.

Vins7

Maybe you're onto something.... My gut got really messed up after three rounds of various antibiotics summer of 2020 (bladder infection). The Bactrim antibiotic blocked my thiamine function; I was already low in it because of the heavy metal poisoning so I really got slammed by the bactrim. I was very sick for months. There are a lot of antibiotics that work by blocking thiamine function to kill the bacteria that need it to survive.

There's this:
and this:

I got well, including my gut function, when I high dosed thiamine hcl. For me that meant 1 gram of thiamine hcl 2Xday. I also take magnesium glycinate and I consume a pretty healthy diet that is not high in starch. It's more high in dairy and gelatin and mushrooms. I let the gut bacteria work it out for themselves. I think the high dose thiamine hcl improved the intestine environment and the healthy gut bacteria recolonized where they belong.

I did try the TTFD type of thiamine but I reacted badly to it because my glutathione was low due to the lead poisoning. So I stuck with thiamine hcl.

Please note that a big part of normalizing my gut function had to do with normalizing my stomach acid. Thiamine supplementation fixed my low stomach acid. When I got up to the 2 grams/day of thiamine hcl, suddenly I craved beef steak so I ate them maybe twice/week for several weeks. They were wonderful and I was able to digest the meat for the first time in decades.
It's very insping reading this, thanks.
I took flagyl (Metronidazol) and others antibiotics in 2016-2017. I read that Metronidazol interactúa with thiamine too but I'm not sure.
I wonder if the effect of Metronidazol blocking the thiamine function could last for 6 years...
I started investigating It when I read your experience in this forum and I'm ready to try It.
I'm going to start first with electrolytes and then low dose of thiamine until I reach a higher dose.

Thanks again.

mostlylurking

Very good question but I have no answer. When I was young we had mercury thermometers and I would play with the mercury when they broke, and we probably had lead to play with,
I have memories of doing that too!! My grandfather encouraged it. He would demonstrate how to turn a penny into a dime by rubbing it all over with the mercury. My strongest memory of it was of my grandmother wringing her hands and saying that it was dangerous and maybe he shouldn't do that. He snarled her back down into submission. Years later, my grandfather lost what was left of his mind.

I also had a head full of mercury amalgam fillings that went bad and disintegrated when I was in my 20's so I got them replaced with gold, one by one, the wrong and very dangerous way, which maximized my toxic load of the mercury. Been dealing with it ever since. I got chelated for it (DMSA orally, then a chaser of EDTA by IV, 20 treatments) about 20 years ago when my brain went south and I wrecked my car trying to park it in the carport at home (20 years of parking in that same spot prior). Mercury sticks around forever.
I once had a job handling huge quantities of powdered aluminum. I was white with it from head to toe and all through my nasal passages every day.
Not good. I've got aluminum too. I think it was from eating entire jars of dill pickles daily after school when I was a kid. Drank all the juice too. Aluminum is a very tough one to resolve. The EDTA by IV I think helped a little bit, at least in that the aluminum did show up on the EDTA challenge tests. I've had over 120 EDTA IV treatments (one a week, 3 hour IV) over a period of many years. I took to drinking a daily liter bottle of Fuji water for the aluminum for 3-4 months about a year ago. I do think it helped. You can search for "silica water for aluminum" to learn more about it. Here's one result:
Until talking to you I'd been unaware that there was such a connection.
I've read a lot about thiamine over the past 2 years. What I learned revealed to me that most all of my health problems are due to thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. I think I was set up for this problem via my load of heavy metals I acquired in childhood. I suspect that the house we lived in back in the 1950's-1960's had issues with lead contamination in the water pipes due to lead solder of the copper pipes. Both of my siblings became mentally ill when they were children; both were diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in their early 20's. My parents stayed in that house for the rest of their lives. My mother died of brain cancer and my father died of Alzheimer's.

Here's some articles for you:
also

There's more info available online for thiamine and lead poisoning (I've got that too) than seems to be available for the other heavy metals. However, I learned from my orthomolecular doctor who chelated me (100+ treatments) back in 1994-1995 that reducing the burden of heavy metals in general relieves the stress on the body so it can recover and better tolerate what heavy metals remain. Although this doctor did not specifically treat me with high dose thiamine, he did put me on LOTS of B-complex pills. I remember having to take 4 big b-complex pills 4Xday for years. I did recover my health.

I was diagnosed (yet again) with lead poisoning in 2014 (another exposure from old house dust). It was a different doctor. They didn't test me for thiamine deficiency and they didn't prescribe any b-complex of thiamine. I've since read that doctors are supposed to test you for thiamine deficiency before chelation because if there's a thiamine deficiency, chelation can prove fatal. I didn't die but I did get a severe attack of rheumatoid arthritis and stopped the chelation treatments.

I took flagyl (Metronidazol) and others antibiotics in 2016-2017. I read that Metronidazol interactúa with thiamine too but I'm not sure.
Flagyl is the gift that keeps on giving. I think it would be helpful for you to research that. Yes, I think thiamine would help.
Here's some links:

I wonder if the effect of Metronidazol blocking the thiamine function could last for 6 years...
Yes, I think it would.
I started investigating It when I read your experience in this forum and I'm ready to try It.
I'm going to start first with electrolytes and then low dose of thiamine until I reach a higher dose.

Thanks again.
Please read the articles at the links provided in this post responding to both you and to @Nokoni .

I found the information on Dr. Costantini's website extremely helpful for me. He successfully treated thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl. Here's some links to his information: therapy, FAQs, research papers, videos of patients.

I found thiamine hcl to be the easiest for me to tolerate. TTFD thiamine gave me a horrible headache. TTFD uses glutathione to work. My glutathione was deficient because of my toxic heavy metal load. Heavy metals cause oxidative stress and use up the available glutathione. Thiamine hcl doesn't work this way. After taking it for several months, my glutathione level had risen to normal on my blood tests, I think because the thiamine hcl had resolved the oxidative stress caused by the heavy metals.
I now take 300 mg of allithiamine daily, which is the equivalent of at least some multiple of that amount in the HCl form
Yes, I think you're right. Different doctors using various thiamine supplements have their own specific favorites. Opinions vary as to which one works best. Dr. Costantini favored thiamine hcl by injection for his Parkinson's Disease patients. His website provides conversion info re. how much oral thiamine hcl equals a 100mg injection of thiamine hcl. Dr. Lonsdale, Dr. Marrs, and Elliot Overton are all fans of TTFD thiamine, because it has no absorption issues when taken orally. Forgive my ignorance but I do not know if allithiamine is exactly the same as TTFD.

I searched online for conversion info and found this:
B1: allithiamine, thiamine hcl... - Cure Parkinson's
Also something you said above (I'm too lazy to go find it) suggested to me that the large HCl dose you take may be having some beneficial effect directly in the gut, and therefore maybe it didn't need to be absorbed more fully.
There's info online about how some bacteria consume thiamine and some bacteria make thiamine. I personally experienced excellent improvement in my gut function when I started taking high dose thiamine hcl. I'm sorry but I don't know the details as to exactly how that worked. I just know that the problems that I had, including swelling of the intestine (I pooped little squiggles for months) resolved when I took high dose thiamine hcl. This happened after two days of taking 1 gram of thiamine hcl 2Xday. I had spent the prior 4 months working up to that dose.
In my case I'm more inclined to suppose that I ended up with a genetic mutation called the "warrior gene", which makes one more susceptible to serotonin syndrome.
I think that it's possible that a person can get a genetic mutation, a "work around", that helps the body cope and not die from a thiamine deficiency. I think that it would make you more susceptible to serotonin syndrome. I suffered from serotonin syndrome for years. A doctor had prescribed high dose 5-htp which I took for about 10 years. I know what that feels like. I stopped the 5-htp around 2015, started peating, doubled my prescription thyroid desiccated thyroid med. During that time I could not eat high serotonin foods, including: bananas, pineapple, tomatoes, other nightshade plants. After high dosing thiamine hcl, I no longer am sensitive to the high serotonin foods and I don't have any symptoms of serotonin syndrome.

I think that thiamine deficiencies are extremely common:
With your own susceptibility you should probably also be aware of that circumstance, maybe research it a bit, even if it's unlikely to explain the susceptibility in your case.
I'm pretty sure you're right. There's a genetic issue that can be passed along to the next generation that makes them require more thiamine than average. I don't know if I inherited that or not; the fact that both of my siblings suffered terribly from diseases known to be caused by thiamine deficiency makes me think it's possible. However we were all exposed to high doses of heavy metals as children so the family's health problems could have originally been environmentally caused. Heavy metals stick around for the duration; lead is known to rip the thiamine molecule apart and bond to the sulfur part of it, which in effect causes a thiamine deficiency even when consuming healthy amounts of it.

aniciete

How did pineapple mess you up? I have been eating 1-3 whole ones each day. Maybe I am lacking the self awareness to notice the damage it's causing. I'm utterly addicted to these honeyglow pineapples... I wish I was kidding.
Those are the best pineapples I’ve tried. 0 acidic taste. I’ve been eating a bunch lately too lol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals