I Could Use Some Help On Lowering My Cholesterol

benaoao

Reading your blood tests more thoroughly, it’s clear your progesterone and DHEA are rather low, thyroid isn’t great too, conversely testosterone isn’t that bad, obviously vitamin D is far from optimal which is either a cause or a consequence of what looks like a stressed organism.

Like Masterjohn says:

““I do want to point out that if you see blood lipids that are out of whack, and you clearly have psychological stress, circadian rhythm disruption, emotional stress, any kind of dysregulation of cortisol, any kind of inflammatory state, or chronic infection, clearly you need to lead with resolving the stress response because that’s gonna be the upstream factor that’s gonna counteract thyroid hormone.”

So very probably address thyroid first on top of diet tweaks.

A salivary Cortisol test would be very helpful for anyone who has high cholesterol.

benaoao

Nowhere in rays quotes above does it reflect what you're suggesting. All he's saying is that low cholesterol when you're old is dangerous. Not high cholesterol when you're young.

"

You may have had issues reading the parts where he highlights the relationship between hypothyroidism and hyperlipidemia then

Don’t fall for the “high cholesterol is a myth” myth.

If your cholesterol is high your metabolism is low and/or your LDL receptor activity is low. Both cases aren’t fine. It’s like saying “slow metabolism is a myth” or “(mild) hypothyroidism is a myth”

OP
M

mamaherrera

Yes I tried to reread his articles and I found nothing about high cholesterol being bad at a young age, but since being younger correlates to having a high metabolism, it does point out that obviously something is up in my metabolism causing this high cholesterol. I really hope this works for me. It goes against all my doctor has said.

OP
M

mamaherrera

and to address thyroid, isn't that meaning diet tweaks?? I don't feel comfortable taking thyroid on my own. What are the main things for improving thyroid? and I"m scared to take DHEA per say. But yes I see it is low.

OP
M

mamaherrera

today I measured temps and upon waking it was 97.6 and after breakfast, it was 96.8 so it dropped, what does that mean? Also, do you always have to leave the thermometer in your mouth ten minutes before taking the temp?

OP
M

mamaherrera

Update, I went and rechecked my choleterol afer two months of no eggs, less meat, more beans and less saturated fat. Some improvement, but now I want to try a bit of Peat things and see if it gets better. Total went from 262 to 235. LDL went from 178 to 159. HDL went from 62 to 56 (sadly) and triglycerides from 110 to 101. And they tested my VDLd today and it was 20 . I want to now incorporate some eggs, som coconut oil, liver and some milk and see if I can keep improving and no going backwards. Also, I had a link on this glycine product, sweetamine, in another thread, and wondering what you think of it. Sweetamine - Natural Food Science, LLC

LUH 3417

I'm 37 female. Got two docs on my case wiht high cholesterol and prediabetes. One wants me on Statins like yesterday and the other wants me to be a vegan. What to do? I have given up my 2 eggs daily and have lessened meat and shrimp. but here are my stats:
Biggest thing: total cholesterol 262 and LDL 178, yikes. . and low vitamin D. I've been avoiding the sun because of all my sunspots. So that's annoying too. But here are all the stats. View attachment 9066 View attachment 9067 View attachment 9068 View attachment 9069 View attachment 9070
I had pretty much exactly the same lab results (high LDL and total cholesterol around 224, vitamin D 27). When I emailed Ray he said just supplementing vitamin D should help. I go back for labs in a few months, if it works I’ll let you know

L

lollipop

You may have had issues reading the parts where he highlights the relationship between hypothyroidism and hyperlipidemia then

If your cholesterol is high your metabolism is low and/or your LDL receptor activity is low. Both cases aren’t fine. It’s like saying “slow metabolism is a myth” or “(mild) hypothyroidism is a myth”
Curious @benaoao. If I remember reading correctly you are a pharmacist? Forgive me if I am mistaken. I am enjoying your responses on the forum. What drew you here and to Ray Peat? Surely there is a plenitude of forums available to you. What do you like about Ray Peat?

benaoao

I’m browsing a handful of forums but it’s mostly hive mind and a very polarizing mainstream / anti mainstream approach to biology and biochemistry with relatively low content or properly designed studies being shared. It’s all bias bias bias to win an argument over the internet. Maybe people are now afraid to argue in real life and resort to their phone to voice their opinions? I don’t know, all I see these days is STRESS screaming from everybody living in big inner cities - like I do

I like Ray Peat because his thought process challenges mine even though we reach the same conclusions 95% of the time.

Some topics here are really good. I’ve been skimming through haidut’s and travis’ work and I’m impressed.

L

lollipop

I’m browsing a handful of forums but it’s mostly hive mind and a very polarizing mainstream / anti mainstream approach to biology and biochemistry with relatively low content or properly designed studies being shared. It’s all bias bias bias to win an argument over the internet. Maybe people are now afraid to argue in real life and resort to their phone to voice their opinions? I don’t know, all I see these days is STRESS screaming from everybody living in big inner cities - like I do

I like Ray Peat because his thought process challenges mine even though we reach the same conclusions 95% of the time.

Some topics here are really good. I’ve been skimming through haidut’s and travis’ work and I’m impressed.
Thank you :):

Queequeg

Update, I went and rechecked my choleterol afer two months of no eggs, less meat, more beans and less saturated fat. Some improvement, but now I want to try a bit of Peat things and see if it gets better. Total went from 262 to 235. LDL went from 178 to 159. HDL went from 62 to 56 (sadly) and triglycerides from 110 to 101. And they tested my VDLd today and it was 20 . I want to now incorporate some eggs, som coconut oil, liver and some milk and see if I can keep improving and no going backwards. Also, I had a link on this glycine product, sweetamine, in another thread, and wondering what you think of it. Sweetamine - Natural Food Science, LLC
how is you cholesterol now? I am dealing with similar numbers to your starting point and am planning on a more plant based diet with less meat and eggs. Any other tips you can share would be appreciated:)

I also just saw "What the Health" on Netflix and am thoroughly shaken on my previous cholesterol beliefs.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Mine is still at 235, ldl 159 and HDL 50. My vitamin D hasnt' risen much, it went from 21 to 37 I think it is. I'm trying red wine now and 2000mg vitmain d because someone said that 2000 daily is better than 5000 a day and I was scared I was going to get too much calcium in my arteries. I have never taken vitamin K2, and now I"m taking just 1 mg daily with my vitamin D. So since I've taken calcium and d in the past for so many years, I thought I' may have plaque in my arteries. Wondering how much K to take with 2000 mg of D. I don't want K to lower my D either. Any help, I'm looking for!

Queequeg

Mine is still at 235, ldl 159 and HDL 50. My vitamin D hasnt' risen much, it went from 21 to 37 I think it is. I'm trying red wine now and 2000mg vitmain d because someone said that 2000 daily is better than 5000 a day and I was scared I was going to get too much calcium in my arteries. I have never taken vitamin K2, and now I"m taking just 1 mg daily with my vitamin D. So since I've taken calcium and d in the past for so many years, I thought I' may have plaque in my arteries. Wondering how much K to take with 2000 mg of D. I don't want K to lower my D either. Any help, I'm looking for!
That must be frustrating after such great initial improvements. Are you still eating low meat no eggs? Not sure why someone would say 2,000 D is better. It all depends on what your individual blood tests are saying. For you it seems like the 5,000 was working. Could even use a bit more. 50 is probably a good goal on D. Ramping up K isnt a bad idea. Maybe for your next bottle try life extensions super k, I think its 2.6 mg mix of k1 and k2. Some here take many many mgs >5 but I dont know enough about K to recommend that.

Other supplements you could use to lower cholesterol are niacin, berberine, taurine, glyicne, aspirin, and vitamin C​

Last edited:

TeaRex14

Taking supplemental thyroid and/or pregnenolone is probably your best bet. Also getting adequate sunlight or a comparable amount of red light will also help.

Hugh Johnson

Hyperlipidemia is not the same as high cholesterol. Stop confusing the argument

TeaRex14

Too many factors at play here to just broadly state someone's metabolism is low if their cholesterol is high. Many things can increase cholesterol, even a simple cold or flu will increase your LDL. Intestinal dysbiosis can increase your LDL. "T3, sugar, and aspirin are the most heart-protective things." -Ray Peat.

Provided you're keeping your metabolic rate high and you're taking therapeutic amounts of thyroid, sugar, and aspirin I wouldn't worry about cholesterol, in fact there's probably a good reason why it's high. But if taking thyroid lowers your cholesterol then it probably needed to come down some.

LucH

Cholesterol acts as a protective agent. It is a precious ally. We are not trying to reduce "cholesterol" but to understand why you have oxidized cholesterol.

A liver and thyroid in good condition are required for cholesterol production.

If you have high cholesterol (LDL, especially VLDL), it is certainly a sign of dysfunction. There are many possibilities. I would check the thyroid first. Thyroid hormone, triiodothyronine (T3), and vitamin A are needed to convert cholesterol into steroid hormones.

Cholesterol acts as a dressing / bandage (with fibrin and calcium) when the membranes are inflamed. LDL cholesterol is therefore the service firefighter. He is not responsible for the incident, but an agent / witness.

"How is it possible that high cholesterol is bad for the walls of the arteries and causes fatal coronary heart disease, if those with the highest cholesterol live longer than those whose cholesterol is low? "

If you are trying to lower your cholesterol, your liver will adjust its production. At best, you can modulate 15% of this rate. We must obviously try to understand the function of cholesterol and see LHL cholesterol as a whistleblower: Alert, the inflammatory level of the walls is high (oxidation of membranes). So we will avoid shooting on the ambulance but we will make changes in food, nutrition and behavior ... It is especially V-LHL and triglycerides in excess, and of course trans fats (2 gr max per day) that will cause problems.

I’d pay attention to vitamin E (supplement with mixed tocols 400 mg twice a week) and beta-carotene from food (5 - 10 mg /day) to protect vessel membranes. And of course pay attention how you cook and a supply of fruits and vegetables for a wide variety of antioxidants. But not only (...).

Dr. Kummerow recently published an article showing that there are two types of lipids (fats) in our diet responsible for the formation of heart disease. The first is trans fat found in partially hydrogenated oil.
The other type is oxidized cholesterol, formed when cholesterol is heated - for example in foods cooked at high temperatures or long (waffles or omelettes are a good example).
Hope it will help to demystify cholesterol. :):
LucH

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    95 bytes · Views: 18
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals