I Had A 1/4 Of A Tsp. Of Baking Soda In Warm Water Before Bed, And I slept Like A Rock

I mean that deep kind of “you don’t move“ sleep. I usually sleep pretty good but lately I’ve had a few nights of not so good sleep….so I read that baking soda in warm water- just a 1/4 to 1 tsp. is helpful.

So I tried it. It does make you burp but that is good, because you expell built up gas. But wow, it gave me a really deep sleep throughout the whole night.

The taste is not so bad. I could tolerate it better than just salt. Mentioning this for those having trouble sleeping. It’s worth a try.

Maybe it’s the salt that helps you sleep?

GTW

Good idea. My grandmother's cure-all. If you were sick, a teaspoon bicarbonate in warm water. If you vomit you feel better. If you don't you feel better. She lived to 103.

One explanation comes in mind. Baking soda -> sodium bicarbonate -> bicarbonates are like-ion making cell alkaline. In alkaline environment some coenzymes can be synthesized - like BH4 -> BH4 is very much needed as coenzyme for serotonin and dopamine production. Probably you had a little more serotonin from that which could be used for melatonin production. Drinking baking soda before meals could really help with that if for some case you have chronically acidic cell environment.

A lot enzymes change their activity depending on pH and temperature. Slight changes can do big impact on some of them.

HeyThere

It's the alkalinity. if you are acidic, it's hard to sleep. Also, if you are acidic, it makes you itch.. some people intensely, some people just enough to feel "off and antsy" not realizing it's a subtle all around itch.

GTW

Could salt have a similar effect?
Avoiding mechanistic reductionist pseudo-science.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Good idea. My grandmother's cure-all. If you were sick, a teaspoon bicarbonate in warm water. If you vomit you feel better. If you don't you feel better. She lived to 103.
That is my sister's cure-all, too. She isn't that old yet, though.

J.R.K

I mean that deep kind of “you don’t move“ sleep. I usually sleep pretty good but lately I’ve had a few nights of not so good sleep….so I read that baking soda in warm water- just a 1/4 to 1 tsp. is helpful.

So I tried it. It does make you burp but that is good, because you expell built up gas. But wow, it gave me a really deep sleep throughout the whole night.

The taste is not so bad. I could tolerate it better than just salt. Mentioning this for those having trouble sleeping. It’s worth a try.

Maybe it’s the salt that helps you sleep?
I find a half teaspoon before bed is almost an excellent guarantee for a good night sleep. It also does help reduce the muscle aches if I have been doing a lot of physical work during the day.
If I wake up in the middle of the night it is also a great go to for putting me back to sleep efficiently.

J.R.K

What PRAL score for your foods?
An interesting thought, I believe Dr Peat advocates for being slightly acidic. But the concept of a higher carbohydrates to protein ratio might tip this balance depending on the amount of acidity in the carbohydrates of choice.

baccheion

An interesting thought, I believe Dr Peat advocates for being slightly acidic. But the concept of a higher carbohydrates to protein ratio might tip this balance depending on the amount of acidity in the carbohydrates of choice.
Where and why?

piro444

One explanation comes in mind. Baking soda -> sodium bicarbonate -> bicarbonates are like-ion making cell alkaline. In alkaline environment some coenzymes can be synthesized - like BH4 -> BH4 is very much needed as coenzyme for serotonin and dopamine production. Probably you had a little more serotonin from that which could be used for melatonin production. Drinking baking soda before meals could really help with that if for some case you have chronically acidic cell environment.

A lot enzymes change their activity depending on pH and temperature. Slight changes can do big impact on some of them.
How do I know if my environment is acidic or alkaline? Thanks, I don’t know much about chemistry, not even the basics unfortunately

GTW

If it reacts in your stomach
Na bicarbonate forms salt and carbonic acid/CO2
However, some bright person discovered alkaseltzer type combination.
Na bicarbonate + citric acid yields sodium citrate and CO2 in the water glass. Citrate in your body is metabolized to bicarbonate.

J.R.K

Where and why?

The electrical activation of a nerve causes a quick shift towards internal alkalinity
(Endres, et al., 1986), followed by a sudden increase in lactic acid production. Although
increased lactic acid causes acidity of an irritated or inflamed region, the conversion of
pyruvic acid to lactic acid causes the interior of the stressed cell to become more
alkaline, causing it to swell. This is the same process that causes the familiar swelling of
tired muscles.
Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals