I Had A 1/4 Of A Tsp. Of Baking Soda In Warm Water Before Bed, And I slept Like A Rock

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Good idea. My grandmother's cure-all. If you were sick, a teaspoon bicarbonate in warm water. If you vomit you feel better. If you don't you feel better. She lived to 103.
Haha that's awesome ♥

To your question, salt might have similar effects as sodium is known to be anti cortisol, anti aldosterone, and generally anti stress.

-Luke-

I also experimented with baking soda a bit towards the end of last week. First time I used it (half a teaspoon) it brought my out of a pretty intense stress state within 10 or 15 minutes. The next day I used it before bed and had uninterrupted sleep for about 5 hours, which is pretty good by my standards. But when I woke up, I felt pretty stressed and couldn't get back to sleep even after a snack. It's similar when I take it during the day. At first it feels good, but my general condition is not improving and if anything has gotten a little worse over the few days I've been trying it.

Now I wonder whether there is some sort of rebound effect. Is it possible that my cells retain CO2 more effciently after I take it, but it becomes worse than before after the effect has worn off?

Hermes

What about the stomach acid lowering properties, is this something to be concerned about?

GTW

Would be worth comparing effects of baking soda, salt, sodium citrate straight or alkaseltzer type...
There is also alkaseltzer with combination sodium and potassium.
Alkalizing what? Respiratory alkalosis results from hyperventilation hypocapnia loss of CO2 in breathing.
Urinary pH is result of foods. Organic (carboxylic) acids are alkalizing urine.
Sulfur, phosphorus content for example is excreted acidic.
Potassium, calcium inter alia is excreted as basic.
Etc...

Hermes

Another option might be to add some baking soda to a bath. Roughly 500 g of it is needed.

Osukhan

i used to fast quite a bit using the snake diet, seemed pretty good as an electrolyte mix
snake diet recipe
1 liter of water
1 tsp Sodium Bircarbonate
1 tsp salt
1 tsp no salt (potassium)
1/2 tsp epsom salt

cs3000

I mean that deep kind of “you don’t move“ sleep. I usually sleep pretty good but lately I’ve had a few nights of not so good sleep….so I read that baking soda in warm water- just a 1/4 to 1 tsp. is helpful.

So I tried it. It does make you burp but that is good, because you expell built up gas. But wow, it gave me a really deep sleep throughout the whole night.

The taste is not so bad. I could tolerate it better than just salt. Mentioning this for those having trouble sleeping. It’s worth a try.

Maybe it’s the salt that helps you sleep?

I gave this a go last night (my sleep has been unrefreshing or exhausting for many years, likely from a core lack of deep slow wave minutes too much REM)

took 1.8g baking soda 30 mins before sleep

I think it helped get to sleep in good time. & i stayed asleep until usual wakeup time uninterrupted, but I still had vivid dreams all night and still woke up groggy/unrefreshed.

So no benefit for sleep quality in my case but will still keep this as something that helps insomnia, cheers. some people here mentioned it causing restless sleep instead (so maybe the key to helping sleep onset is staying low dose <2g).

Last edited:

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I gave this a go last night (my sleep has been unrefreshing or exhausting for many years, likely from a core lack of deep slow wave minutes too much REM)

took 1.8g baking soda 30 mins before sleep

I think it helped get to sleep in good time. & i stayed asleep until usual wakeup time, but I still had vivid dreams all night and still woke up groggy/unrefreshed.

So no benefit for sleep quality in my case but will probably keep this as something that helps insomnia, cheers. some people here mentioned it causing restless sleep instead (so maybe the key to helping sleep onset is staying low dose <2g).
Might have to investigate your acetylcholine levels - been there.

If Benadryl helps you get more refreshing sleep with less REM and dreams, it might be the thing affecting your sleep quality.

cs3000

Might have to investigate your acetylcholine levels - been there.

If Benadryl helps you get more refreshing sleep with less REM and dreams, it might be the thing affecting your sleep quality.
yeah that was 1 of the angles i figured would be worth a shot, but benadryl or cyproheptadine had no positive impact

OP
FocusedOnHealth
I also experimented with baking soda a bit towards the end of last week. First time I used it (half a teaspoon) it brought my out of a pretty intense stress state within 10 or 15 minutes. The next day I used it before bed and had uninterrupted sleep for about 5 hours, which is pretty good by my standards. But when I woke up, I felt pretty stressed and couldn't get back to sleep even after a snack. It's similar when I take it during the day. At first it feels good, but my general condition is not improving and if anything has gotten a little worse over the few days I've been trying it.

Now I wonder whether there is some sort of rebound effect. Is it possible that my cells retain CO2 more effciently after I take it, but it becomes worse than before after the effect has worn off?

I probably should clarify- the first nite I realised I used almost 1 tsp. of baking soda in a cup of warm water.

*This amount gave the most restful sleep that lasted thru the nite.

The second nite I used 1/4 of a tsp. in a cup of warm water, but this amount didn’t work as well.

So tonite I am going to try the almost 1 tsp. amount again and will report back.

This could make the difference in sleep quality. And also, try not to have anything to eat 3 hours before bed. I think that makes a difference as well.

Also, if you don’t like the taste, I can see maybe adding a little orange juice or other juice to the water.

I didn’t find the taste that bad so I just used the warm water. I like the taste better than plain salt.

Last edited:
OP
FocusedOnHealth
I find a half teaspoon before bed is almost an excellent guarantee for a good night sleep. It also does help reduce the muscle aches if I have been doing a lot of physical work during the day.
If I wake up in the middle of the night it is also a great go to for putting me back to sleep efficiently.
That’s good to know when waking up in the middle of the nite.

Happycat

I tried 1/4 teaspoon in water last night, it helped me fall asleep quickly and had some vivid dreams too. I woke up in the night to pee, must use less water next time and will up it to 1/2tsp.

From what I read it helps to lower the stomach acid but only temporarily.

How to get over the really bad taste of baking soda in water?
Drink through a straw.

Lilac

I tried a pinch of baking soda (instead of my usual kosher salt) in mineral water before bed for a couple of nights. I dropped off easily and slept fairly soundly--both good. I did not sleep long, however. That is still the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Six hours is my usual. Seven hours is occasional. Eight hours, rare.

RealNeat

Why has no one mentioned the co2 benefits? Salt lowers aldosterone, which is probably also helping to conserve other minerals like magnesium.

It's essentially all going towards better cell mineral regulation along with leftover co2 mitigating hyperventilation in the night or because of mouth breathing.

I'm not a fan of minerals on an empty stomach as I find them quite irritating but if it works it works I guess.

I would guess that someone who benefits from baking soda before bed would also feel good from it during the day. Those who have trouble sleeping through the night have addressed one aspect but not the other with baking soda. Since it has no caloric value adding some juice to it will likely result in better results by repleting glycogen stores before bed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals