Insulin Resistance

More from the Functioanl PS site:

"In women and rats, antibiotics were found to cause blood levels of estrogen and cortisol to decrease, while progesterone increased. This effect apparently resulted from the liver’s increased ability to inactivate estrogen and to maintain blood sugar when the endotoxin stress was decreased."---RP

I have found this to be ABSOLUTELY 100% true for me....Every single time I have taken antibiotics in my life (which is A LOT) my symptoms always got better. Only now I no longer use antibiotics and choose to use raw organic garlic instead. Dr. Peat says raw garlic hard on the stomach so I'm reluctant to recommend it, but my situation was extreme so I used it. I can say for certain that I handle sugars far far better when my gut flora is in check...who'dathunk?

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
Was paradise not described in our earliest ancient scrolls as the land of milk and honey? Is milk and sugar not an extraordinary luxury unavailable to most of the world? Is milk and sugar an unliveable regiment? Or a bounteous feast we are here blessed to enjoy?

I simply ask you to consider whether your soul, or perhaps your consciousness (to use RP's gloss) directs your every choice in life? And whether it is not connected to the souls or consciousness of others? Compared to this, insulin resistance, that latest bugaboo of drug companies, is a mere gnat in your eye.

Yes, it may take a day of milk and sugar, it may take longer, until your soul feels reborn, and your consciousness is regenerated.

Taken too much lisuride that day? :)

Katty

thebigpeatowski said:
I borrowed this from the FPS website:
“... Oatmeal and potatoes do provide fiber, but they are good food for bacteria, and bacterial endotoxin is usually the basic problem causing hormone imbalance, by being a chronic burden for the liver, keeping it from storing enough sugar to process thyroid and the other hormones effectively.”---Ray Peat

How long would it take after eating a starch for the starch to cause endotoxin issues? When I eat starch, I get warm right away-- so I doubt that ingesting the starch would immediately cause a rise in cortisol. So the immediate reaction after a meal (of getting warm) is probably not cortisol related. So how long after eating the starch would you expect endotoxin to possibly elicit a cortisol response?

Katty said:
thebigpeatowski said:
I borrowed this from the FPS website:
“... Oatmeal and potatoes do provide fiber, but they are good food for bacteria, and bacterial endotoxin is usually the basic problem causing hormone imbalance, by being a chronic burden for the liver, keeping it from storing enough sugar to process thyroid and the other hormones effectively.”---Ray Peat

How long would it take after eating a starch for the starch to cause endotoxin issues? When I eat starch, I get warm right away-- so I doubt that ingesting the starch would immediately cause a rise in cortisol. So the immediate reaction after a meal (of getting warm) is probably not cortisol related. So how long after eating the starch would you expect endotoxin to possibly elicit a cortisol response?

White sugar has a glycemic index of 58 and a load of 6 while for white rice I find from 89 to 109 that of glucose.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/ ... _foods.htm
http://www.sugar.org/sugar-your-diet/fa ... mic-index/ (sugar lobby :mrgreen: )

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/ ... nsion.html

BingDing

SS, is blood sugar response related to endotoxin levels?

Intestinal bacteria and endotoxins is my weakest understanding of RP's thinking. By a long mile, LOL.

Thx

BingDing said:
SS, is blood sugar response related to endotoxin levels?

Intestinal bacteria and endotoxins is my weakest understanding of RP's thinking. By a long mile, LOL.

Thx

Ray Peat would say endotoxin slows the liver and the mitochondria so you can store, release and burn less sugar. The dual of this is that insufficient sugar causes stress that will make you absorb more endotoxin from the intestine. Endotoxin also causes diabetes.

Make sure you use local sugar. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC291248/

Starch is often very high in mold, which is even more damaging in the liver with endotoxin. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12604847

OP
Peata

Peata

messtafarian said:
Peata:

How do you know you are Insulin Resistant?

I have PCOS. I have seen the IR "flare up" ever so often, such as last time I was on BCP or SSRI or periods of being too sedentary. My symptoms could be things like increased fat, especially abdominal fat, and inability to lose weight despite more exercise, calorie restriction or macronutrient restriction, brain fog, fatigue, high blood sugar (probably pre-diabetic at times), there can be increased hunger, also fatty liver.

OP
Peata

Peata

I didn't lower my calories by doing any IF, btw. I still have them right around 2000, give or take a couple hundred depending on the day. Still getting in at least 80 g. protein, around 250 g. carbs. It's the fat I'm not sure about how much to get. I am thinking that today I will try increasing protein, especially since it's a workout day.

natedawggh

Hi Peata,

I'm male, 33, but I also have had a really tough time losing weight. I was already out of shape when I started Peating, and of course gained weight doing it though I wouldn't change any of that now because it has fixed a lot of other chronic problems such as eczema, a chronic cough, male pattern baldness (that all grew back!), arthritis in my left hand was cured, and changed my severe insomnia into manageable insomnia as well as improved my temperatures and made my toes and toenails look much healthier and appealing.

At one point a while ago I thought I might be suffering from from Insulin Resistance, but then I realized when I ate potato my temperatures increased, and especially now that I've been eating Peat for a long time and can get my temperatures nearly to 99 in the daytime and wake at 98 using carbs, insulin resistance is definitely not the thing keeping my weight on or else I wouldn't be able to burn the carbs as so much heat as I am.

I am sure that I probably have too much PUFAs and I think I have high Iron (going to start green tea extract tomorrow, EGCG) but recently I tried something that helped me loose nine pounds in four days. I was very encouraged by it. I decided to really tackle excess tryptophan... Even Ray Peat says that Milk, with it's high tryptophan, is not appropriate as a sole food for adults and he's very right about that. It thought I was getting enough fruit to offset the tryptophan, but it wasn't until I dedicatedly started adding gelatin to every dairy I had that I finally started losing some weight. I put gelatin in cottage cheese (which makes it awful—so I ate it with blueberry jam, which is really good), and I also heat up milk to warm and melt gelatin into it (cold, it is grainy and solidifies into nasty milk jello, but the warm milk with gelatin is great).

The first night I did this I felt great, felt some clearing of sinuses and slept well, and woke up two pounds lighter (I am 6 foot 6 and 284 so my weight loss might be more exaggerated that what a smaller person will notice). I kept this gelatin/dairy restriction (with no meat, because that is off balance amino acid wise too) and each day lost two pounds, plus some, even eating as much fruit, potatoes, some eggs, OJ, and some other stuff without worrying about calorie restriction. I went from 293 to 284 in four days... then I had to drive 90 miles for a job interview one day and only had fruit juice with me, ruined my gelatin/dairy protein experiment and immediately gained back six pounds. This experience has convinced me that inability to lose unwanted weight is caused by an imbalance of amino acids more than anything else, and I was going to restart my experiment yesterday but I had a craving for homemade macaroni and cheese and so I gave in and made it (another of the benefits of Peating is that it seems to have cured my gluten allergy...I know it's not an excuse but I couldn't help it... plus it'd been four years since I had macaroni and cheese).

Tomorrow I'm going back on this strict balancing of amino acids to see if I can replicate the weight loss. I will try to report back.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for the info, nate. It's interesting that I stopped drinking milk (still use some dairy) last Thursday and upped my gelatin some, and have slowly lost a bit of weight. I'm not celebrating yet, because I've seen this kind of thing happen to me before, where I think I'm losing but it goes right back up. It does feel different this time though, like I'm on the right track because I'm doing what my body is telling me instead of trying to fit certain foods in just because they are on a list. The activated charcoal reduced bloat and stopped diarrhea temporarily, but the bloat would come right back the next day. It was only after stopping milk that the bloat has stayed away and not returned for over a week now.

natedawggh

That's great! I think my mistake during my initial weight loss was that I accidentally let my protein intake slip to near zero one day, and that seemed enough to get my stress hormones going again (that would definitely increase estrogen). So my focus is adequate protein and serious effort to make glycine/gelatin with every protein source to make sure tryptophan gets crowded out.

PeaterPan

Eating carbs and fat together can cause insulin resistance, or at least it make it worse, try separating carbs from fats in your meals, also saturated fats(yes, even coconut oil) decrease insulin sensitivity, extra virgin olive oil improves it on the other hand, i looked a lot of studies to find this, i also did my own statistical analysis , the countries consuming more fat with carbohydrates are fatter and fatter, EXCEPT italy, although the fat intake is very high they are still one of the healthiest nations out there, also asian countries with the low fat intake have a very low obesity rate,
so either you eliminate fats(not raccomanded) or you separate fats from carbohydrates or you substitute your saturated fats with mono saturated fats, remember that extra virgin olive oil is Peat approved, i'm doing a combination of the second and third option, my only animal fat intake is the most nutrient dense, egg yolks.

By the way, italy is one of the countries with the highest calories intake and they are still thin, compared to America with the same fat intake they are obese.

http://chartsbin.com/view/1160

France is the only exception with it's high saturated fat intake and low obesity rate, i don''t know why, but i know that the average iq in france is like 98, while in italy it's 102 and italians live longer on average.

Obesity rate chart:

1024px-Obesity_country_comparison_-_path.svg.png

Mittir

Weight Loss

@natedawggh

I believe you already know that RP recommends high calcium intake for weight loss.
I thought 1 was getting good amount of calcium from 1 quart of milk and farmer's
cheese from 1-2 quart of milk. Then i realized that there is very little calcium
left in farmers cheese and there is a lot of phosphorus in there. To balance my calcium phosphorus ratio i started taking 500-1000 mg of extra calcium in calcium acetate form.
I make it by adding slaked lime ( calcium hydroxide) in vinegar. Calcium acetate is a phosphate binder, it inhibits absorption of phosphorus from food and some of it is
absorbed as calcium. Calcium carbonate is also a good phosphate binder.
I have noticed i gain 4-6 lbs of weight in 2-3 weeks if i skip this phosphate binder intake.
It also immediately warms me up. You might like to add some calcium carbonate or calcium acetate to improve the calcium to phosphorus ratio, at least 1 to 1 or more
calcium than phosphate. I need about 2000 mg of calcium daily with less
phosphorus to suppress my PTH. Good vitamin D level helps a lot with
calcium metabolism. You may not need a lot of calcium if vitamin D is in good level. Niacinamide and fructose also lowers phosphate.

I have sees a study that found low tryptophan diet increasing T3 level significantly.
If you are not already using cyproheptadine, you can consider adding it to lower
serotonin. It is also a good anti-histamine. Currently i am using 1/4 to 1/2 mg daily
twice a day and it has been extremely beneficial. Anti-serotonin drugs are known
to increase appetite but have not noticed that at this dose.

There are plenty of anti-Peat substances which "improve insulin sensitivity".

PeaterPan

Studies show that compounds in olive leaf increase thyroid hormone concentrations(less in the oil), if you consume extra virgin olive oil you basically decrease your chances of dying from basically everything and the vitamin E in it according to peat should protect against PUFA and it increase insulin sensitivity and extra virgin olive oil IS peat friendly.

Extra virgin olive oil is a safe bet. Consume it raw. Remember that a Peat diet shouldn't be a dogma, but only an addiction to what works for you, as there are a lot of people that benefit from it there are also a lot of people that get problems from it.

Some even take it into extremes, from salt isn't bad -----> salt is extremely good let's salt everything, salt should be used in contests, like it could be beneficial in a high liquid diet.
There are epidemiology studies that shouldn't be ignored, being skeptical is good.

OP
Peata

Peata

My averages (rounded) for last 7 days:
calories - 2,300 (does not take into account exercise)
carbs - 345
starch - 90
sugar - 200
fat - 55
pufa - 6
protein - 120
calcium - 1200
phosphorus - 1500

All nutrients met except:
folate - 86%
K - 76%
magnesium - 69%
potassium - 83

I don't drink cups of milk, but I use a little in cooking same as pre-Peat. I get dairy through half and half, string cheese, regular cheese, processed cheese slices, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, condensed sweet milk, etc. (not all this dairy on same day usually, I'm just listing my regular sources of dairy).

I used to get 1/2 to 1 T gelatin, now I make sure to get 2 - 3 T.

PeaterPan

Studies on mice and rats show that feeding them sugar or starch eventually makes them insulin resistant,
sugar faster than starch.

On bodybuilding forums there's a term called Carb Refeeding, after restricting carb for a long time they stop losing weight but after these Carb Refeeds they restart losing weight.

Why don't you try a fat refeed?
And try to eat all the things that should lower insulin resistance, fiber,yogurt, extra virgin olive oil

PeaterPan said:
Studies show that compounds in olive leaf increase thyroid hormone concentrations(less in the oil), if you consume extra virgin olive oil you basically decrease your chances of dying from basically everything and the vitamin E in it according to peat should protect against PUFA and it increase insulin sensitivity and extra virgin olive oil IS peat friendly.

Extra virgin olive oil is a safe bet. Consume it raw. Remember that a Peat diet shouldn't be a dogma, but only an addiction to what works for you, as there are a lot of people that benefit from it there are also a lot of people that get problems from it.

Some even take it into extremes, from salt isn't bad -----> salt is extremely good let's salt everything, salt should be used in contests, like it could be beneficial in a high liquid diet.
There are epidemiology studies that shouldn't be ignored, being skeptical is good.

But coconut oil also increases T3 uptake, and those studies show if you excrete less than three grams of sodium per day you have a higher risk of death and cardiovascular events.

PeaterPan

But studies show that coconut oil decrease insulin sensitiviy and increase intestinal permeability
Why not take extra virgin olive oil that is balanced in everything?

Yep, salt in excess and in deficiency is a bad thing.

It doesn't follow that if urinary sodium <3 g increases death rate ---------> urinary sodium of 10-15 g increases longevity.

We can't go from one extreme to another.

For people without insulin resistance by all means keep using coconut oil, but those a little insulin resistant EVOO can help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals