Interesting Peat Quote About Calcium

janus

marcar72 said:
I'm not sure how it becomes "soapy" since I'm not ingesting any lye with said saturated fats.

You're ingesting minerals, which can salt with fats. Maybe such salts are present in your foods, maybe they're formed during digestion.

nikotrope

pboy said:
not most in human milk, but some for sure. Cows milk, most, cause all the calcium and magnesium and slighty lower fat then human milk. Do an experiment if you don't believe me. Eat same diet low or no fiber, few days whole milk, next few skim milk or lower fat...you'll see stool volume significantly change and it will have a consistency of bar soap to an extent, of course with whatever else in there too

Chocolate to an extent is similar, a large part of the fat is bound to magnesium and becomes soapy and unabsorbed....this explains marcar's happenings

the thing is though, saturated fat are more likely to become the soapy substances, the pufas less likely, so you still disproportionally end up absorbing a bad ratio of pufa's over time doing that

Last time I checked you were eating whole milk, you don't anymore? Since you don't seem to eat much fruits and tubers (from what you seem to suggest in other posts), 2200-2900kcal seems really hard to get with low fat milk. How do you do that?

Zachs

Definitely some fat goes through unabsorbed. And I agree that fat in general is not needed for hormone production, paleo advocates get that completely wrong.

BUT I don't think that saturated fat is necessarily bad for you or automatically fattening. I think with a very efficient and high metabolism, a high fat diet will not lead to fat gain.

In my experience, dietary fat in the absence of a fully functioning thyroid/metabolism and a slow transit time will lead to significant weight gain and probably some negative health conditions. On the other hand though if metabolism is high, thyroid is optimal and transit times are fast, one can eat significant amounts of saturated fat along with carbs and not gain anything or have negative consequences.

Btw I disagree in the thinking that milk fat is worse than meat fat. I think meat is significantly more detrimental than dairy. I mean cream vs tallow maybe the significance decreases, but eating a steak vs a quart of whole mIlk, the milk is much better for you. Imo.

marcar72

Pboy I've taken the time to objectively reread your postings and a lot of it makes sense or I see as plausible with the soaping thing. My apologies for being overly defensive. I just know that none of that fat seems to be hanging around anywhere that's for sure...

gretchen

pboy said:
.....that's why in Ayurveda theres lots of quotes about how...any meal is rendered non offensive when enough ghee is used, and helps neutralize toxins in the GI..its not the fat itself, but the soaps it turns into when the meal has enough cal and mag, and also helps make drying and rough fibers more flowable and lubed. but again, a lot of the Indians who eat a lot of ghee have large guts, but they also eat a lot of harsh spices, so the ghee helps protect agains that, and also probably microbes in the food and water

if youre not adding isolated fats, and just using whole milk in a reasonable amount, it might have benefit because most of the fat is turned into soap unabsorbed and helps GI flow significantly...a lil less calcium, but it still pans out to a positive effect on a peaty diet. If you were eating more other foods, you might be better off with lowfat to have a more calcium effect from the milk...but really the fatty soaps are really good in a sense, in my opinion they are much better than fiber or stimulants to keep GI function smooth...that's how babies still s*** so easy and often. I prefer lower fat because I cant stand the mouthfeel of thick oil and...the butyric acid smell sometimes lingers and its a hellish odor, and I think the fat slows down gastric e mptying a little

I just picked up some ghee. It's been a staple for about a decade. It's probably helped my gut issues as much as anything else.

I started drinking whole milk about a year ago theorizing, based on what Peat says, that the saturated fat is protective against PUFA. It's good for mitochondria. I complain a lot about milk, but there's no way I'd ever drink fat-free. I'm still not really clear on why Peat recommends low fat. Milk is a pretty stressful food as it is. The fat is what makes it tolerable.

As for the importance of calcium, not as convinced anymore about that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals