Is Cypro really as bad as some commenters say?

WonMore

I just read that mirtazapine is almost identical to cypro.
If I already tried mirtazapine for sleep a year ago, and it did not help, is it pointless to try cypro?
You can try and come back and tell us.
Nobody is going to answer you with more than a wild guess, knowledge is empirical and, as someone mentioned before, contextual. So your reaction may even changes in time. These drugs are similar, but different.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Nobody is going to answer you with more than a wild guess, knowledge is empirical and, as someone mentioned before, contextual. So your reaction may even changes in time. These drugs are similar, but different.
Thanks.
Maybe someone can answer a related question on cypro:
Can cypro .5 mg at night somehow take the place of a DAO enzyme, which I take at breakfast and noon?
Not even sure if I need the DAO enzyme, since I have no symptoms, and a test a couple years back showed slightly low DAO enzyme production.

WonMore

Thanks.
Maybe someone can answer a related question on cypro:
Can cypro .5 mg at night somehow take the place of a DAO enzyme, which I take at breakfast and noon?
Not even sure if I need the DAO enzyme, since I have no symptoms, and a test a couple years back showed slightly low DAO enzyme production.
Their actions don't overlap, i.e. cypro merely blocks histamine receptor, but histamine is still there. Thus their effects may be vastly different.
DAO breaks down mostly peripheral histamine, in Central Nervous System histamine is broken down by N-methyltransferase. Just from this fact DAO may not impact your mood or sleep to the extent cyproheptadine would, if at all. Cyproheptadine works through much, much more than just histamine system. And DAO breaks down not only histamine, but also putrescine and spermidine and probably other amines.

Cyproheptadine has the unfortunate side effect of being a dopamine antagonist, but it works great as a serotonin blocker. This means that you will need to increase the use of dopaminergic substances if you want to use it long-term.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Cyproheptadine has the unfortunate side effect of being a dopamine antagonist, but it works great as a serotonin blocker. This means that you will need to increase the use of dopaminergic substances if you want to use it long-term.
Thanks.
What are some dopaminergic substances?
I am not familiar with these.
Paul

Thanks.
What are some dopaminergic substances?
I am not familiar with these.
Paul
A dopaminergic substance is, broadly, anything that either acts like dopamine, increases dopamine synthesis and release, or inhibits dopamine breakdown. A very common substance with marked dopaminergic characteristics is actually caffeine. Aspirin and thiamine also seem to raise dopamine levels.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Well, I tried .5 mg yesterday at 2 pm on my inner wrist.
I did not feel anything different at all.
My sleep was a little better (it is normally bad), but I can't tell what the reason was. It varies a lot.
Maybe I should I try .5 orally today at 2?
Paul

WonMore

Well, I tried .5 mg yesterday at 2 pm on my inner wrist.
I did not feel anything different at all.
My sleep was a little better (it is normally bad), but I can't tell what the reason was. It varies a lot.
Maybe I should I try .5 orally today at 2?
Paul
Ray says it's hard to adjust the dose topically, although people here claim to have effect. I never used it on skin.
The initial effect to look for is a little spaced out (which I personally only had one or two first times, but I used bigger dose, 1 or 2 mg). But I think if it had worked properly, with high probability you would have felt different today, because the next day effect at the beginning is pretty apparent.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Ray says it's hard to adjust the dose topically, although people here claim to have effect. I never used it on skin.
The initial effect to look for is a little spaced out (which I personally only had one or two first times, but I used bigger dose, 1 or 2 mg). But I think if it had worked properly, with high probability you would have felt different today, because the next day effect at the beginning is pretty apparent.
Ok.
I have taken it orally, .5 mg, for two out of the last four days at 2 pm. No obvious result.
I will start taking it ever day at 2, .5 mg.
Paul

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals