Is Sea Salt Better Than Ordinary One? Good Brands?

Birdie

peatarian said:
I'm sorry but I've read this to many times now: Ray Peat does not recommend sea salt. It's not refined and there are impurities in it. He recommends the refined white salt without iodine or fluoride.

I've only heard him recommend iodides once: If you have tuberculosis. And even then he just mentioned it is used in treating it not really said he'd do it. I was using iodine once and he recommended I stopped and used thyroid instead.

I really appreciate it whenever anyone has the nerve to remind people of this. Thank you. Well done. Important info.

Amosya

So, I haven't seen it mentioned here.
Does no one get the bloated/water retention/edema from too much salt?
I guess it may be because of wrong eating to begin with, but when I've visited someone who serves very salty meals the next day I'm like a balloon!!
I've changed my eating habits in the last few months, but nevertheless I still find it "hard" to add salt... can it be that I may bloat to begin with and then do well? Or just a misconception on my part and the extra salt actually helps edema??
I would gladly just scof a half teaspoon of salt if it would help my water retention problem!!!
I've tested drinking sea water for a couple of weeks -just a couple of glasses diluted in ordinary water- and it caused water retention.
TIA

Birdie

Amosya said:
So, I haven't seen it mentioned here.
Does no one get the bloated/water retention/edema from too much salt?
I guess it may be because of wrong eating to begin with, but when I've visited someone who serves very salty meals the next day I'm like a balloon!!
I've changed my eating habits in the last few months, but nevertheless I still find it "hard" to add salt... can it be that I may bloat to begin with and then do well? Or just a misconception on my part and the extra salt actually helps edema??
I would gladly just scof a half teaspoon of salt if it would help my water retention problem!!!
I've tested drinking sea water for a couple of weeks -just a couple of glasses diluted in ordinary water- and it caused water retention.
TIA

I looked back and found this. Looks like it would answer your questions. If I recall right, it discusses salt and edema...

Ray peat wrote an article on it if anyone wants a detailed analysis of salt.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/salt.shtml

Hope it helps.

Birdie

From above article:

Hypertonic solutions, containing more than the normal concentration of sodium (from about twice normal to 8 or 10 times normal) are being used to rescuscitate people and animals after injury.

Rather than just increasing blood volume to restore circulation, the hypertonic sodium restores cellular energy production, increasing oxygen consumption and heat production while reducing free radical production, improves the contraction and relaxation of the heart muscle, and reduces inflammation, vascular permeability, and edema.

My spacing and emphasis. :)

This is really quite the opposite of what you hear in the mainstream.

Birdie

Even though I didn't emphasize the right "reducing," you get the idea.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Birdie, you are able to edit your posts for 30 minutes after you post it.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Birdie, you are able to edit your posts for 30 minutes after you post it.

I was too lazy!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Know that feeling! :lol:

Amosya

Thanks Birdie.
I'd read the article some time back, and found it fascinating. It's been good to reread it to refresh my memory on the information about salt.
What I'm wondering is how much salt is enough and how much too much, although I'm aware it will depend on body weight, height, age, etc.
I read about the salt intake experiences here and really wanted to check if anyone had had any bad issues like the edema which is what the general media states, and also what amount is recommended to take on a daily base, also if just on its own mixed with a bit of water is okay or does it have to be in combination with OJ or milk... :? Would taking a small pinch straight say every two or three hours just to see how it makes me feel a good idea???
Sorry fot the amount of questions on salt!!
I'm personaly only taking a small pinch daily with a bit of fresh cheese.
I must buy refined salt as what I have is sea salt at home right now.

DMF

[ moderator edit: threads merged ]

'Just found out my brand of sea-salt does NOT contain IODIDE. Is this common among sea-salts?
Any reccomendations out there?
Doesn't the body make iodide on it's own?

Last edited by a moderator:

pboy

Ive been trying to find that out also...can't find anything definitive. Some rock salts claim a large amount of iodine, while most sea salts and other rock salts
say "does not supply iodine, a necessary nutrient". I think from salt alone you're likely to get anywhere from about 10mcg to 900mcg iodine, and there isn't really a way to tell for sure. I'd rely on dairy or seafood/seaweed as the only definitive way to bump iodine...everything else seems to only have trace amounts. The body doesn't make iodine, it also can't store much for very long, but you need very little. (2 servings of dairy or 1 of sserving from the sea a day is usually enough to meet minimum requirement) Its questionable if more confers further health benefits

BaconBits

I am sorry to say that most sea salts are high in heavy metals, Ray Peat was right. This are some lead levels in ppm in some brands
Number are PPM:

Celtic Sea Salt .735
Le Paludier Sea Salt .473
Elements of Spice: .412
Jevatee Himalayan Salt: .35
Le Paludier Fleur De Sel: .237
Maldon Sea Salt: .226
Redmond Real Salt: .167

If you take celtic sea salt and average intake of salt in US is 8.5 grams, that would meand you are getting like 6.5 mcgrams of lead a day. Peatarians can go up as 20 grams of salt, and that would mean like 15 mcgrams of lead a day just from salt.

In rat studies 0.5 mcg per kg of body weight is the limit were problems start appearing. For an average person that is like 35mcg a day tops.

sara n.

Ray Peat told me in an email that he uses Morton's canning salt. I have been using it for some 20 years because of my iodine allergy.

loess

yep, this is the good stuff!

00024600010863_full.jpg

TreasureVibe

I am sorry for reviving this thread, but can anyone confirm anno 2018 if Morton canning and pickling salt is still the best option for salt intake? Also, I have Le Baleine coarse sea salt in bulk here at home, it looks like white crystals, is this salt also good and does this salt not contain any additives? And where can I find Morton canning and pickling salt in Europe? Thanks!!

Last edited:

biggirlkisss

mortons salt is low in iron sea salt is higher in iron but again depends what works for you too.

TreasureVibe

mortons salt is low in iron sea salt is higher in iron but again depends what works for you too.
Thanks, but I live in Holland and I can only find Morton Kosher Salt, but not the canning and pickling salt unfortunately. Do you recommend this Morton Kosher salt, or do you know of an alternative brand that is available in Holland?

Also, when speaking of high iron content in sea salt, are we talking about an anti-caking agent that was added or natural occuring iron in the sea salt?

Last edited:

Birdie

I am sorry for reviving this thread, but can anyone confirm anno 2018 if Morton canning and pickling salt is still the best option for salt intake? Also, I have Le Baleine coarse sea salt in bulk here at home, it looks like white crystals, is this salt also good and does this salt not contain any additives? And where can I find Morton canning and pickling salt in Europe? Thanks!!
What I remember from Ray’s research, the Le Baleine was a safe one. I use it. The one without caking agents. That’s the coarse grain one. I’m not in Europe, so hopefully somebody else can help with the Morton’s availability there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals