Is There A Reliable Way To Speed Up Gut Motility?

Dave Clark

Some people also use small doses of castor oil for constipation or speeding up gut motility. Castor oil is not a PUFA, it is a MUFA, and using it orally has to be trialed by the user for tolerance. It is used by some of the Eastern cultures to keep the bowels moving and to cleanse them, especially the elderly. Do a search for more info, castor oil has many great uses internally and externally {most common usage}.
Would be interesting to know if castor oil had a positive impact on LPSs, etc.

proteome

Forum Supporter
I take thyroid.

I think milk and cheese slow down my gut. I've been trying A2 milk, to see if it's improved.

What else speeds up gut motility. I use cascara, but hate to depend on it. And get enough magnesium which seems to help.

What else...?
Methylcellulose powder has no known side effects, and is the active ingredient in CitruCel.

If you're looking for the way to speed up gut motility without affecting other bodily functions, I recommend bulk-forming laxatives (Not propylene Glycol, mind you) like MethylCellulose powder.

You can buy it here if you want to try it: Amazon product ASIN B075Y19W8NView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Y19W8N

Or you can get CitruCel at most pharmacies.

You can also talk to certain very advanced TENS users to see if you are a candidate for applying gentle electro-muscular stimulation to your gut or vagus nerves.

The research on this is pretty consistent on its effectiveness, although in the case of direct EMS, rather than vagus nerve stimulation, there may be some interference with the natural rhythms of your gut's electro motor complex.

@ecstatichamster, what Thyroid do you take?

I'm considering whether to take some myself.

OP
ecstatichamster
Methylcellulose powder has no known side effects, and is the active ingredient in CitruCel.

If you're looking for the way to speed up gut motility without affecting other bodily functions, I recommend bulk-forming laxatives (Not propylene Glycol, mind you) like MethylCellulose powder.

You can buy it here if you want to try it: Amazon product ASIN B075Y19W8NView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075Y19W8N

Or you can get CitruCel at most pharmacies.

You can also talk to certain very advanced TENS users to see if you are a candidate for applying gentle electro-muscular stimulation to your gut or vagus nerves.

The research on this is pretty consistent on its effectiveness, although in the case of direct EMS, rather than vagus nerve stimulation, there may be some interference with the natural rhythms of your gut's electro motor complex.

@ecstatichamster, what Thyroid do you take?

I'm considering whether to take some myself.
I've used powdered cellulose and it doesn't agree with me.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
PHGG. Not Peaty at all. But it has been a game changer for my slow motility. Look at my post history - you will see how miserable I was. Taking this along with probiotic yogurt that I make myself(and other stuff), has pretty much resolved longstanding constipation/SIBO/perma-bloating of 4 years. I just make yogurt in the instant pot and add a scoop of PHGG. It is supposed to increase Bifido and Lactobacillus, and other helpful species. This should make your colon more hypoxic, lower stool pH and get rid of the aerobic baddies that might've invaded. Frankly I don't care how it works, I'll take it forever if it takes away my bloating and pain.

It increased flatulence the first week but now that is leveling out. Just feel normal, light, eliminate once or twice a day.

cascara helped, sort of but I was still bloated and had a ***t appetite. Magnesium never helped me, not in a real sense. When my stomach was inflamed it wouldn't work properly.
What is PHGG?

proteome

Forum Supporter
What is PHGG?
Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum, branded and, I think, patented as SunFiber.

It’s got a lot of good research behind it for improving the composition of gut microbiota, especially in the direction of more butyrate production.

It improved the outcomes of Rifaximin users from 60% to more than 80%, IIRC.

It takes titration and has an adjustment period. But it seems to work even in RCTs.

Let me know if you’d like to know more, because I’ve researched it a lot and tried a couple of different brands.

Guar gum, unhydrolyzed, is not good, though, because it can cause constipation, like other unhydrolyzed gums when swallowed.

“Artichokes are a great source of fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy by promoting friendly gut bacteria, reducing your risk of certain bowel cancers, and alleviating constipation and diarrhea ( 20 , 21 ). Artichokes contain inulin, a type of fiber which acts as a prebiotic.”

1701710618796.jpeg

proteome

Forum Supporter
Aren't globe artichokes cholinergic?
“Artichokes are a great source of fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy by promoting friendly gut bacteria, reducing your risk of certain bowel cancers, and alleviating constipation and diarrhea ( 20 , 21 ). Artichokes contain inulin, a type of fiber which acts as a prebiotic.”

Osukhan

Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum, branded and, I think, patented as SunFiber.

It’s got a lot of good research behind it for improving the composition of gut microbiota, especially in the direction of more butyrate production.

It improved the outcomes of Rifaximin users from 60% to more than 80%, IIRC.

It takes titration and has an adjustment period. But it seems to work even in RCTs.

Let me know if you’d like to know more, because I’ve researched it a lot and tried a couple of different brands.

Guar gum, unhydrolyzed, is not good, though, because it can cause constipation, like other unhydrolyzed gums when swallowed.
I have just picked up some sunfiber, any additional tips on using as in timing, or things to avoid while taking?

proteome

Forum Supporter
I have just picked up some sunfiber, any additional tips on using as in timing, or things to avoid while taking?
One thing that's come up consistently, and that I've had to account for, is adding it to the diet very, very slowly.

It is food for butyrate-producing gut bacteria, the kind you want, and that crowd out yeast and other such typical overgrowths.

In the unlikely event that you were trying to eliminate butyrate-producing bacteria, then I'd say don't take it with those.

It's also an excellent complement to MCT oil and, I think, gelatin.

However, PHGG needs to be added to the diet slowly. Not just my own experience, there, but many people who've used it for dealing with SIBO or IBS-C have needed to build up a tolerance as the gut microbiome makes its positive adaptations.

If I stop taking it, I'm cautious to add it back in more slowly, too.

I can't think of anything in particular to avoid while taking it, but it might be wise not to modify or add any new bulk forming laxatives like methylcellulose or propylene glycol, since the effects of those might confound any benefits or problems from the PHGG.

There are other brands that are less expensive, too.

This is the fancier brand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WHJRREY?tag=rapef020-20

And here is something more basic: https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origins-Fiber-Natural-Non-GMO/dp/B00PFXPB38/?tag=rapef020-20

I didn't notice any obvious differences.

Osukhan

i recently added sunfiber (healthy origins) brand to my daily routine
i have never taken a fiber supplement, but have taken resistant starch before
all the talk about hypervitaminosis a.... i figured adding additional fiber may have some benefits
both of the products mentioned above are cheaper than Dr Smith's sunfiber product

LucH

Hi,
I see that much of the answers deal with transit but not with MMC (Migrating Motor Complex).
After being used with some kinds of fibers, the "problem" will be the same: laziness of intestines. Must be reeducated and a help will be needed to stimulate MMC, at the beginning, let's say during 2 - 3 months. For me it took 56 days.
The migrating motor complex (CMM or MMC in English) is an electrical and contractile activity of digestive motility which takes place in the inter-digestive periods (between two meals), and interrupted by food intake. Each MMC is accompanied by an increase in gastric, pancreatic and duodenal secretions. They are thought to serve to evacuate contents in the small intestine between meals, and also to transport bacteria from the small intestine into the colon. An alteration of this phase notably favors the development of chronic bacterial colonization of the small intestine, a source in particular of bloating, diarrhea, or even steatorrhea, of the majority of food intolerances. When contractile activity is low, we then speak of lazy intestines. Support and rehabilitation is often necessary, with a prokinetic (Resolor 0.5 mg), initially.
Note: Resolor is use as a prokinetic, not as a laxative. Only 0.5 mg (cut with a sharp kitchen knife into 2 pieces).
Betaine HCL + (pepsine) once at evening meal could help to (to avoid stase of bile when too short of it). I take Doctor's best.
Hope it would help.
Note 2: Why not trying kombucha ( Non-pasteurized if bought) or fruit kefir to bring some probiotics (lightly laxative).
Note 3: inter-digestive periods are optimal with 4 - 5 hours rest.

proteome

Forum Supporter
I see that much of the answers deal with transit but not with MMC (Migrating Motor Complex).
In that case, this might not technically be the MMC, but there is a way to speed up electrically stimulated gut motility that's likely more reliable than anything else mentioned here, Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES/EMS) therapy.

I have had a technician try it on me when I was more skeptical of the technology, but desperate for a solution.

As a last resort, I got 4 electrodes attached directly to specific parts of my upper and lower abdomen. At first, I just felt a sort of buzzing feeling, and, occasionally, minor twitching.

Previous, similar treatments for other parts of my body had that before.

But my gut responded more.

It resumed, so to speak, like someone had re-sealed the lid and pressed the "start" button on an interrupted dishwasher cycle.

I quickly had to rush to the toilet.

Most of the published research results for the technology are for sports injuries, but it's been used for treating depression and gut issues by stimulating the Vagus nerve, too.

The specific machine that "shocked" me in this way was the NeuFit, but there are other comparable products and services that do similar things.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potassium is one of if not the best ways to get things moving and grooving. Get the potassium right and it all starts coming together.

proteome

Forum Supporter
It is food for butyrate-producing gut bacteria
Not only does it feed these bacteria, but, according to the articles below, PHGG ferments relatively slowly, reducing the (likely serotonergic) digestive stress that usually comes with soluble fiber:

"These results suggested that the fermentation of PHGG would be slower than that of inulin in in vitro faecal fermentation."

I found out about it from watching videos by Byron Herbalist. His voice irritated my ears, but his advice helped my gut.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals