I've been getting stiff AF whenever I stand recently

ironfist

I sit on the couch and watch TV, and then I stand up and I move like an elderly male for like 30 seconds. My lower back is stiff AF, my hips hurt, wtf lol.

I'm 41.

Same thing in the morning.

No injuries, nothing really. I've been taking tons of collagen lately for various reasons but this started before that. Look, I want to know if this is just my body being stiff and if so why?

I sit on the couch and watch TV, and then I stand up and I move like an elderly male for like 30 seconds. My lower back is stiff AF, my hips hurt, wtf lol.

I'm 41.

No injuries, nothing really. I've been taking tons of collagen lately for various reasons but this started before that. Look, I want to know if this is just my body being stiff and if so why?
That use to happen to me too 12 or so years ago, especially my feet in the morning, they hurt so bad the first ten minutes of the morning. Back then I discovered it was high high oxalate foods like lots of fresh orange juice, potatoes and nuts.

I always got that stiff feeling too, after sitting for a long period and standing back up again, until this year, when I gave up alcohol, meat and starches, for the most part, and leaned into my raw milk, cheese, fruit, honey, eggs, shellfish and sprouted grains. Now I don’t even get those next day painful sore muscles from doing new strenuous activities.

Giraffe

I'm 41.

I had this a couple of years ago, I think it was triggered by digestive problems I had thanks to massive stress. Later my hip needed to warm-up each time I had been sitting for a while and then suddenly after a long walk in the mountains my back was stiff when I got up in the morning. Stiff as in I couldn't get up from a sitting position.

I took high doses of aspirin for a few of days (1 gram three or four times a day) and I had a couple of appointments with physiotherapists trained in osteopathy and trigger point massage. I was OK again after two weeks.

OP
I

ironfist

I had this a couple of years ago, I think it was triggered by digestive problems I had thanks to massive stress. Later my hip needed to warm-up each time I had been sitting for a while and then suddenly after a long walk in the mountains my back was stiff when I got up in the morning. Stiff as in I couldn't get up from a sitting position.

I took high doses of aspirin for a few of days (1 gram three or four times a day) and I had a couple of appointments with physiotherapists trained in osteopathy and trigger point massage. I was OK again after two weeks.
Do you remember the exercises they had you do? Around which location on your body were the trigger points that were massaged?

OP
I

ironfist

That use to happen to me too 12 or so years ago, especially my feet in the morning, they hurt so bad the first ten minutes of the morning. Back then I discovered it was high high oxalate foods like lots of fresh orange juice, potatoes and nuts.

I always got that stiff feeling too, after sitting for a long period and standing back up again, until this year, when I gave up alcohol, meat and starches, for the most part, and leaned into my raw milk, cheese, fruit, honey, eggs, shellfish and sprouted grains. Now I don’t even get those next day painful sore muscles from doing new strenuous activities.

Interesting there was such a change from diet alone. My last drink was nearly 4 years ago. I have been dining on more meat recently trying to get my calories higher. I stopped potatoes (nightshades) about a year ago due to hypercalcemia.

Tight iliopsoas. When they're tight, you'll feel it all over. I love passive stretches for this. Something like they do in this video.

View: https://youtu.be/bv1471TaM3A

I am getting a massage on Friday for my hips.

Peachy

Interesting there was such a change from diet alone. My last drink was nearly 4 years ago. I have been dining on more meat recently trying to get my calories higher. I stopped potatoes (nightshades) about a year ago due to hypercalcemia.

I am getting a massage on Friday for my hips.
That’ll be good! This stretch can be done on your own too. I’m not one to recommend this or that stretch. But this one can be a game changer

InChristAlone

Careful about those kinds of stretches where you brings your knees up like that. It can feel good in the moment but it isn't good for your discs in your spine. Couch sitting causes all manner of harm to your spine. Sitting on couches was the main cause of my low back pain. It causes rounded back and forward head posture, extremely bad for the back.

Peachy

Careful about those kinds of stretches where you brings your knees up like that. It can feel good in the moment but it isn't good for your discs in your spine. Couch sitting causes all manner of harm to your spine. Sitting on couches was the main cause of my low back pain. It causes rounded back and forward head posture, extremely bad for the back.

This is true. I think he was trying to limit back arching but ideally you want your hips level. So it’s best if the foot is flat on the bed while the other leg hangs off. Unfortunately all examples I can find pull the knee into the chest.

Giraffe

Do you remember the exercises they had you do? Around which location on your body were the trigger points that were massaged?

The trigger point was located in the lower back approximately 10 cm to the right of the spine. (It was my right side that was stiff.)

I was advised to use a spiky massage ball to massage the front sides of my upper legs.

And my therapist suggested an exercise for my hips after he realized that I was scared of a certain movement. He had me lay down on the back with the knees bend (as you see in post 5). Then I should grip each knee (right hand right knee, left had left knee) and move the legs in circular motion ( think of how you move your legs when doing breaststroke). The important point was that the legs stay passive, it's the arms doing the job.

OP
I

ironfist

It's very curious to hear that this kind of stretch is bad.

When I do that (legs off the bed) stretch, my lower spine hurts like crazy for a few days after.

I get the same pain when I do bridges.

Resources say bridges are the best exercise for glutes etc. EVERY. TIME. I do a bridge, I get lower spine pain, not muscle pain I don't think, but sharp stabby spine pain right at the lower vertebre for a few days after.

Same thing happens if I lean back too far.

OP
I

ironfist

The trigger point was located in the lower back approximately 10 cm to the right of the spine. (It was my right side that was stiff.)

I was advised to use a spiky massage ball to massage the front sides of my upper legs.

And my therapist suggested an exercise for my hips after he realized that I was scared of a certain movement. He had me lay down on the back with the knees bend (as you see in post 5). Then I should grip each knee (right hand right knee, left had left knee) and move the legs in circular motion ( think of how you move your legs when doing breaststroke). The important point was that the legs stay passive, it's the arms doing the job.

I have a spiky ball I use for my foot. While doing this for the thighs, do you lay on it (OUCH) or do you rather push it with your other hand (ouch)?

InChristAlone

It's very curious to hear that this kind of stretch is bad.

When I do that (legs off the bed) stretch, my lower spine hurts like crazy for a few days after.

I get the same pain when I do bridges.

Resources say bridges are the best exercise for glutes etc. EVERY. TIME. I do a bridge, I get lower spine pain, not muscle pain I don't think, but sharp stabby spine pain right at the lower vertebre for a few days after.

Same thing happens if I lean back too far.
Sounds like a disc problem. That youtube channel above I posted is a good resource for disc problems. I got them as a result of couch sitting and then all it takes to 'throw out your back' is to bend over improperly.

Giraffe

I have a spiky ball I use for my foot. While doing this for the thighs, do you lay on it (OUCH) or do you rather push it with your other hand (ouch)?

I mostly push the spikey ball with the hand when massaging the legs. Sometimes - e.g. when I want to massage the back - I stand close to a door or a wall and place the ball between me and the wall. I also sometimes use a foam roller for the thighs.

OP
I

ironfist

Back massage with the spiky ball? Is it a hard spiky ball or a soft spiky ball?

Giraffe

Back massage with the spiky ball? Is it a hard spiky ball or a soft spiky ball?

The hard one works better for me. It's easy to adjust the pressure when you are standing. The soft spiky ball I have is just too soft for me. The ones I have seen at the psysiotherapist's did look like my hard ones too. (Though I haven't used a ball there. So I am not sure.)

EJG2112

In addition to inflammation, I believe a big factor in lower back / hip pain is having anterior pelvic tilt. The psoas stretch mentioned above and also child's pose (a yoga stretch) are a few excellent ways to help resolve this. Excessive sitting is the main cause. It creates tight and weak hip flexors. Gently stretching and strengthening the hip flexors will go a long way in helping to resolve a lot of lower back and hip issues. One has to undo the imbalances that lots of sitting causes, also in the upper back and shoulders.

Birdie

In the 80s Rene Callliet, in "Low Back Pain Syndrome" advised holding underneath the knee, rather than on top of it, for those back exercises. I've always done it that way and gave that advice back then. This is both to protect the knee and to have a little better angle going.

"Prior to exercises, modalities of heat, ice, or cooling spray affect the spindle system to permit the muscles to 'relax' and elongate.... "

"Low back stretching is best done initially in the "curled up" or fetal position. This position is essentially a knee-to-chest position, is attempted so that the patient feels his low back being "stretched". The pelvis must be elevated from the surface upon which the patient is lying supine. Merely flexing the knees to the chest does not necessarily flex the low back."

I copied his drawing for my patients. It shows the difference between using your hands over the knees and putting them underneath. The pelvis will flex much better on the spine when done "right". This is what you want to get the stretch on those muscles..

When you bring your knees toward your chest, you want to be very careful to get only a slight stretch (in you low back muscles) at first. Hold that position for a minute or until you feel a relaxation. The low back muscles will be elongated. Then further flexion can be gained and again held. Calliet says, "Finally full flexion can be achieved."

It depends though. Main thing is not to cause further injury so to go easy.

When you get this elongation of the muscles going (erector spine muscles) it'll unload the spindle system.... When you've finished the "knee to chest" you want to unload one leg at a time to avoid injury.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals