Ray Peat Interview June 20 2022 - One Radio Network

-Luke-

There's nothing on the ORN website yet, but here it is:

Haven't heard it yet. I will edit the show notes in when they are available on the website.

Edit:
Link doesn't work. I'll edit this post when they upload the interview.

Last edited:
OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

I downloaded it but it’s a zero KB file. Nothing is on it.
You're right, I didn't test it when I posted it. Just saw that he was (apparently) on the show.

Sorry about that. I hope we get the real thing soon.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Patrick is flailing too much. He'd be better off staying closer to a pro-metabolic approach. Some of his other guests sadly aren't giving the best advice.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Couldn't edit the start post for some reason.

Show notes:
Oxalates strongly bind calcium and magnesium.

They demineralize the teeth as they pass through the mouth.

Cooking with baking soda helps reduce the impact of oxalates. Makes them less reactive.

Some athletes take baking soda 1 TBS in ½ glass water daily to improves endurance in races. Suppresses formation of lactic acid. pH in cells becomes more acidic.

Intracellular pH of 6.8 is most metabolically efficient.

Reducing lactic acid helps reduce cancer cell oxidative growth.

Dr. Peat is increasing carbs to increase sensitivity to thyroid. Reducing the protein/carb ratio to 7:1.

Spinach, rhubarb, almonds, chard, potato – high oxalate foods.

Phosphate is as bad as oxalates. Seeds are high phosphate.

Grains have high phosphates and need to be balanced with calcium and magnesium. Chinese ate polished white rice. The rice bran makes rice go rancid, interferes with minerals.

Amount of oxalates in green and black tea is not enough to worry about.

Should progesterone be taken during pregnancy?

Progesterone can help cycling to resume.

Homemade baby formula – use cow milk.

A cow’s rumen cleans out undesirable elements in the diet such as high PUFAs or high Vit B2 before they get to the calf. Whereas a human female has no filter and the baby gets what the mother eats.

Listener has a tall 8 year old daughter, showing signs of early puberty, start of breasts. TSH between 2 and 3, up to 5. How to delay puberty? As thyroid drops, progesterone rises, bones mature, hips widen, increases estrogen. Get enough Vitamin D and milk in the diet. Don’t overdo any particular food. Seafood, eggs good. Soy is problematic.

Listener with a CT Scan showing metastatic and carcinogenic tumors in liver and lower right abdomen, attached to small intestine or ascending colon. Want metabolism to show toward thyroid and away from estrogen. Sugar is largely regulated by thyroid. Don’t want an extreme diet, especially not soy, nor excessively high protein or fat. Baking soda and CO2.

How to reduce inflammation? Aspirin, CO2, baking soda.

What to do for too much acetylcholine production? Use anticholinergics, antihistamines.

How can someone with severe milk protein allergies get enough calcium? Take powdered egg shells – dehydrate, separating out the membrane first, grind in coffee grinder.

Listener trying to improve acne by taking progest-e during luteal phase. May need thyroid.

Dog got sick after eating a squirrel, has diarrhea. Give it bland food.

Can milk or butter be a remedy for eating oxalate foods? Slightly protective as a buffer.

Using cannabis? Is it estrogenic? Short, long-term, or occasional use? Is mildly estrogenic.

Can joints damaged by osteoarthritis grow back? Progest-E smeared topically all over leg for one week helped Dr. Peat’s plumber’s knee, could stop aspirin. Progest-E works for dogs too, topically and on the gums. It’s an anti-inflammatory.

Flu symptoms in December. Can’t smell or taste since then.

Listener with insomnia, muscle spasms, inflammation since second Covid jab. Jab produces auto-immune reactions.

Can Progest-E be applied to pimples? Some people do.

Thoughts on being more alkaline via veganism? That theory Is wrong in interpreting what goes on inside the cells. Getting lots of bicarbonatess in the diet, but they excrete the alkaline part and keep the bicarbs, which converts to CO2 and becomes acidic.

Is Tupelo honey a good source of fructose and does fructose bypass the pancreas? Fructose stimulates insulin less.

What if you eat carbs and your energy goes down?

Using insulin properly is the absence of diabetes.

How much does total phosphorus matter if a person has a good phosphorus/magnesium ratio?

Had appendix removed at age 9 after it ruptured. What does it mean for metabolic health? Low fat diet.

Is there such a thing as fructose spike? No.

B

Blaze

There's nothing on the ORN website yet, but here it is:

Haven't heard it yet. I will edit the show notes in when they are available on the website.

Edit:
Link doesn't work. I'll edit this post when they upload the interview.
The link you posted worked for me by simply clicking mp3 on the destination webpage. The download plays fine.

Patrick is following a carnivore diet now it seems and Dr. Peat is never judgmental. Patrick is apparently extremely oxalate phobic now. Dr. Peat is fine with Patrick's blood sugar at 70 due to not eating carbs.

That is how Dr. Peat is. He doesn't give advice really. But it is a little disappointing as Patrick is setting himself up for health issues with his current diet and Dr. Peat doesn't warn him.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Patrick is following a carnivore diet now it seems and Dr. Peat is never judgmental. Patrick is apparently extremely oxalate phobic now. Dr. Peat is fine with Patrick's blood sugar at 70 due to not eating carbs.

That is how Dr. Peat is. He doesn't give advice really. But it is a little disappointing as Patrick is setting himself up for health issues with his current diet and Dr. Peat doesn't warn him.
Right? It's hard though when he is interviewing so many people that can influence him and only getting Ray once a month.

This speaks a lot about Ray's grace. He is a gift to humanity.

Nomane Euger

Ray could have adviced him outside of the interview time.Patrick do sound like he has very little energy and he is tired,he need to find carbs that give him energy

B

Blaze

Patrick is 75 and his energy seems fine for a man of his age. He has developed a soft slow radio style of speaking which I would attribute to the radio persona he developed rather than low energy. If he is playing with diet then perhaps he doesn't feel as well as he expects and is experimenting on himself as, without exception, we all do here.

I see many here on the "Ray Peat diet" posting about problems with digestion and energy and other maladies in spite of the fact that they are "strictly following the RP diet" which actually does not exist at all and in my understanding has not been endorsed by Ray. They are Ray's suggested guidelines for eating based on the science Ray presents and nothing more. Also, there is a tendency to use many different supplements here in doses that Ray would never favor. Georgi remarked on a podcast once quoting that Ray said having people stop taking supplements has fixed more issues than any other advice he has given.

We should remain curious, open minded, and continue the journey of learning and experimentation. Nothing is finished, there is always more to glean. Ray is always classy, kind and avoids being judgmental. Never dogmatic and always learning, he has maintained an open mind and favors no one diet.

This forum however , often seems to have made the Ray Peat guidelines for eating into a rigid dogma and react strongly to any posts that seem to be a deviation from what we discuss here. There was even a small panic when Ray mentioned oat bran and oatmeal in a podcast , like his views had suddenly shifted or something. Another big error here is calling certain grains or chicken or rice or whatever "high PUFA" and only eating beef. If you are eating chicken breast or oatmeal or rice the total fat content is so abyssmally low, Pufa in those amounts relative to calorie intake is certainly not an issue. It's near to a non fat food source and the body can easily deal with Pufa in such small amounts. It does not compare with massive Pufa intake from seed oils which is an overload of Pufa introducing such a huge quantity of reactive oxygen species , that it ends up being very damaging and burdensome to the organism. .

We need to maintain humility, continue learning and look at all this with the wide eyed wonder of a child. Maybe instead of copying a Ray Peat diet, we should instead copy his kindness, openmindedness and endless excitement for learning. Hopefully a modified version of carnivore can do Timpone some good. If not, I'm sure he will end the experiment and try something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Maybe instead of copying a Ray Peat diet, we should instead copy his kindness, openmindedness and endless excitement for learning.
Very well said. :thumbsup:

"Perceive, Think, Act". Not "Listen, Obey, Push through".

On the other hand, I think Patrick is a bit of a prisoner of his own business. If you look at his website, he probably earns his living with selling some "snake oil". It's ok, but may also prevent him from openly evaluating about the things he is trying. But he is no worse than others and at least does not try to impose an opinion on the listener, but lets his guests talk.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
or chicken
Well to be fair, Ray Peat said chicken is only safe to eat once every 10 days or so. Do I practice that advice? No. But he did say that.

Sure wish I could handle more oats, love em'!

B

Blaze

Well to be fair, Ray Peat said chicken is only safe to eat once every 10 days or so. Do I practice that advice? No. But he did say that.

Lol, oats do me wrong but I love them also. Tolerance is the measure, some individuals thrive on certain foods and others have to limit or avoid them. Since there is such variation in digestive ability in the population, listening to your body and treating yourself as unique is required.

As to high fat cuts of chicken, I heartily agree with Ray, but you cannot treat the low fat chicken or low fat fish for that matter, the same as you do for the higher fat ones. Low to nonfat types-- low to non damaging. super high fat Pufa laden types---high damage.

Your body effortlessly deals with miniscule amounts of Pufa.
Pufa is ubiquitous in all foods, and as such virtually impossible to avoid and so it's better to look at it as "dose dependent"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

It must be amazing to know Ray Peat personally. He always tells stories (like in that episode with the plumber) where he gave some acquaintance (or dog) Progest-E or Thyroid for their symptoms. I wonder how much stuff he has given away for free over the years and how many people have experienced a significant improvement in their quality of life as a result.

I sometimes wish he was my uncle or something, even though I dislike any type of personality cult. Those must be nice family reunions.

- "Hey, Uncle Ray. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately..."
- Peat: *Pulls a small bottle from his coat pocket* "Try this, kid. One drop before going to bed. Merry Christmas!"

Jennifer

- "Hey, Uncle Ray. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately..."
- Peat: *Pulls a small bottle from his coat pocket* "Try this, kid. One drop before going to bed. Merry Christmas!"

Haha! It’s no pink bunny onesie, but I wouldn’t mind receiving a bottle of Progest-E for Christmas.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

Haha! It’s no pink bunny onesie, but I wouldn’t mind receiving a bottle of Progest-E for Christmas.
- "What did you get for Christmas?"
- "The usual. A knitted sweater from Grandma, a pink bunny onesie from Aunt Mary, and a bottle of thyroid from Uncle Ray."
- "Oh, great. I hope Uncle Ray tells another story at Christmas dinner about how he was shadowed by some intelligence agency in Nicaragua."

Beastmode

I wonder about this as he's probably not getting the best sourced ones, unless he's ordering it from a farm that feeds the chickens properly? (rhetorical question :)

Some of the more reputable regenerative farms (i.e- White Oaks and Polyface,) who actually have some of the best soil in the nation, are giving options to corn and soy free birds for a bit more $. We haven't purchased any full birds, but the chicken liver (corn and soy free) from White Oaks definitely digests better for my family since starting. The land that they're pecking on is quite high in organic matter and they don't use any sprays, etc on them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals