Ray Peat Interview March 23 2022 - One Radio Network

yerrag

The topic of Dr Peat’s next newsletter is ageing – why is anyone surprised he is adjusting his diet? An active 25 year old wouldn’t do well on 60g of protein a day but a sedentary 80+ doesn’t need a lot of protein.
I think the reason why kids have such a high metabolism is that a lot of that energy is needed for growth. Building requires a lot of protein. And so yes, Peat at his age doesn't require as much protein.

I've noticed this is the same with animals. I raise koi as a hobby. When young having enough protein in the diet makes them not only grow fast, but develop a nice conformation (body shape). But good development is not just about having high protein, but a balance of nutrients. I have seen koi grow too fast in their early years ending up destroying their skin and coloration. Like fine wine, a steady and well controlled maturation is necessary.

Youth requires high metabolism. Ray Peat has said that even with high PUFA, the very high metabolism even burns away the PUFA, which is why young people are less disposed to get very sick.

In old age, metabolism slows down. The goal is not to grow physically but to maintain and preserve. Where appropriate, inhibiting metabolism can be protective as well. When eating less protein, the acidic load is also reduced, which lessens the work on the organs of detoxification such as the liver and kidneys.

When we put into account Ray's age, we are putting in context his age and his needs at that age. Lowering protein intake to lower methionine, as he said in the interview, is his goal. I doubt he meant the same for glycine, which can be obtained from gelatinous cuts of meat, as glycine is protective.

Wilfrid

Get enough milk when eating oatmeal. Milk has calcium and anti-stress factors.

IF I did that, ill be too gassy
Did you try to grind the oat to a fine powder ?
You can also try a lactose free milk as well.
I prepare my oatmeal by grinding the oat flakes first and soaking it in milk overnight. The next morning I cook the soaked oat in milk.
By doing so, I can tolerate a fairly good amount of it without any problem.
But if I am not doing the above process, I do have as well digestive issues.

Dave Clark

These are available in my region, at Costco: Organic Sprouted Rolled Oats - One Degree Organics
Ray often talks about sprouted grains being better digestion wise, so maybe anyone who is having trouble with oatmeal may have less or no trouble with sprouted oats.
The company One Degree has other sprouted grain products, but having some available at Costco allows you to get them cheaper.

Beastmode

Any chance you have iron overload? In my personal experience, I could not tolerate fructose or high vitamin C foods for a very long time just as you describe. I would have horrible skin reactions (and still do if I pair fruit and red meat). Fructose and vitamin C both increase iron absorption, so that may be what's going on for you. It took me a few years to figure this out. I actually thought I had a fructose intolerance, but then I found Morley Robbins work and read some of his stuff and realized what was going on. I'm happy to help you, just DM me if you want to know what I did to get things right. That way we don't derail this thread.
I've been digging into Morley's work a bit lately. I've been doing quite a bit of it over the past 4 years without knowing. I'm going to get that blood panel he suggests out of curiosity. Minus the cod liver oil and some of the supplements, it all seems pretty complimentary to Peat's work.

David PS

GreekDemiGod

Considering that Peat is 86, and is a rare person at that age in good health, I imagine he still gets quite a bit of protein in compared to what most think is ideal. Also, Peat has mentioned that the older one gets, one has to be careful with eating lots of protein.
I was under the impression that he is in his early 90s.

GreekDemiGod

Peat has always said well cooked oats are fine. I think context is important. If someone has poor digestion/candida/fungal infection then it's probably not going to be a good idea to eat oats. Peat has always been high carb
I have digestion problems/ dysbiosis, and tolerate oat flakes/ bran much better that potatoes and rice, which are supposedly the "better starch". Do you have an explanation for that. I eat them soaked with water, milk and fruits, honey.
Oats make me regular, potatoes constipate me.

Cloudhands

Screenshot_20220407-110303_Gmail.jpg

Show Notes from Patrick:

The double bonds in Omega 3’s are anti-thyroid and pro-estrogen.

High cortisol and high estrogen cause leaky capillaries.

Methionine restriction increases lifespan 40%.

Get enough milk when eating oatmeal. Milk has calcium and anti-stress factors.

Cold foods causes a stress reaction and vascular restriction. Could have a potentially deadly result.

Isotonic glucose solution for recovery from low energy production.

What are the benefits and methods of increasing your carbon dioxide?
- Helps heart vessels relax and blood flow easily.
- Bones get more dense.

Low carbon dioxide increases lactic acid. A sign of overbreathing.

If at rest, the liver takes lactic acid out of the blood and makes glucose. Need good thyroid function for that to happen.

Progesterone and thyroid support each other.

Active thyroid hormone T-3 has 12 hour residency, thyroxine has 2 week residency in the body.

What should a listener with lymphocytic leukemia with high lymphocyte numbers do?.
- Measure both lactic acid and carbon dioxide. CO2 slows cell growth.
- Take aspirin, which is anti-inflammatory.

What causes dry macular degeneration? Can it be reversed?
- Stop deteriorating capillaries.
- Aspirin is generally protective.

How to increase B vitamins?
- Balanced diet.
- Low-fat.

Can methylene blue be taken with sirolimus tablet?
- MB is an electron donor and receptor.
- Used for Alzheimer’s, depression.

Why is ivermectin helpful?
- Anti-inflammatory effect, parasite killer.

What are good brands of canned oysters?
- Crown Prince in olive oil taste good, don’t know about toxins.
- South American sourced preferable.
- Oysters are rich in sea minerals. Selenium, copper, etc. Lobster also good.

Chris wants to know what to do about very dry skin and says PUFAS are all that seem to help.
- Correct thyroid function to oil and moisturize skin.

Dr. Peat recommends TSH of 0.5 and below. Says PUFA levels in blood can throw off T3 and T4.
- Macadamia nuts and cashews are good because low in PUFAs.

Avoid cottonseed, canola, soy, corn oils.
- A little cacao blocks the PUFA in canola.

How to shrink a large prostate?
- Progesterone, aspirin, thyroid.

Don’t need to take the full dose of an antibiotic.

L. reuteri, bacillus subtilus cultures for yogurt.

Listener asks why he’s gained fat after using progesterone cream on neck and oral DHEA?
- Progesterone creams aren’t absorbed on the skin.

Is iodine recommended for someone in a goiter zone?
- A little bit of iodized salt is good.
- Nodules and cancer of thyroid also affected by iodine.

Is a small amount of T4 at night recommended?
- If having stressful nights. The body doesn’t release endogenous thyroid all at once in the morning, better to space out during day.

Estrogen inhibits conversion of T4 to active T3. Is why women have 10 times incidence of hypothyroidism. If thyroid low, get thin, frail hairs.

Systemic enzymes get rid of fibrin and blood clots. Does aspirin act the same way?
- Antigenic traces of fungus in systemic enzymes. Pancreatic enzymes carry risk of infections, but are the best choice.

Good supplements for persistent cough and inflamed intestine from COVID?
- Lower serotonin, easy to digest foods, keeping CO2 up.

How low can saturated oxygen level go? Would CO2 be helpful?
- Baking soda regulates pH.

What causes paronychia?
- Vitamin A around nails.

Would eating farm raised chickens 4-5 times a week be harmful because of high Omega 6?
- Yes. US chicken and pork have more than 30% PUFAs.

Recommendations for sagging and extremely dehydrated skin?
- Thyroid regulates hydration and oil in skin.

Anxiety is a suppressor of the thyroid. Great shock and accidents are often a trigger for turning the thyroid off.
Fear campaigns today are harming everyone’s bodies and minds.

Dr. Peat likes Dr. Bhakti’s thinking and his assertion that COVID and the vaccine are criminal and chemical warfare.

What causes lupus? How to help broken capillaries?
- Change diet, supplement thyroid and progesterone, avoid allergens.
- Caused from too much estrogen.

How much protein is Dr. Peat doing?
- 50 – 60 mg/daily.

Listener calls about an atrial fibrillation episode and her treatments. Could the 4 cookies she ate just before the onset be the trigger?
- Yes, intestinal disturbances can disturb heart rhythm.

How much orange juice does Dr. Peat drink every day?
- A quart, for the anti-inflammatory effects. Now trying a pint of concord grape juice and a pint of orange juice.

What to do for bruxism?
- Improve digestion. Intestinal disturbances disturb serotonin.

Good alternatives to eating oysters and shellfish?
- Get selenium.

handshake_1f91d.png

P

Peatness

I have digestion problems/ dysbiosis, and tolerate oat flakes/ bran much better that potatoes and rice, which are supposedly the "better starch". Do you have an explanation for that. I eat them soaked with water, milk and fruits, honey.
Oats make me regular, potatoes constipate me.
No. I suspect the type of gut bacteria you have may account for your intolerance of rice and potatoes. Oat bran is high in fiber. Rice and potatoes are very low fiber

Melk

View: https://youtu.be/S0X-FyWeQuc

The protein comments remind me of a Zac Bush interview I saw recently, maybe taking a similar tack, prioritising cellular energy over material.

And there's a natural Bodybuilder on YT called Natural Hypertrophy who says he eats ~80-120g protein daily, and maintains an impressive physique from that (couldn't re find the source, he has a lot of videos)

I wonder to what extent you might need more protein in the context of antimetabolic circumstances or diet?

Ray being in his 80s must be part of that context, but NH is in his late 20s and engages in rigorous weightlifting, and is only have a little more. Certainly not 200g+, although plenty of people do that.

Something to try, anyway, since going carnivore a years ago I've been pushing protein but maybe not overly benfitiing from it, maybe even inducing harm from the gng and urea. Something to try anyway

joaquin

Peat has always said well cooked oats are fine. I think context is important. If someone has poor digestion/candida/fungal infection then it's probably not going to be a good idea to eat oats. Peat has always been high carb
I thought Peat was at one time low carb.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals