L-lysine - Serotonin Antagonist

uuy8778yyi

janus said:
uuy8778yyi said:
well, it's the number one skin supplement.

Which, again, says nothing about taurine or silica.

uuy8778yyi said:
I think google could help you

Yes. It helped me to verify that the assumptions which you presented without evidence, and which you have so far been unwilling to substantiate, are apparently baseless.

are you ...........okay ??

you sound personally offended that I mentioned that silica may help build collagen

janus

Doing well, thanks for asking!

I'll be even better if you can help me out and pass on your info about those "top 6 constituents of gelatine itself", since you seem to know more about it than I do.

uuy8778yyi

yes

from Linus Pauling who studied collagen production

those were the ones he mentioned most

natedawggh

kineticz said:
Studies have shown lysine can inhibit serotonin in the brain and gut. It's providing great anxiety relief for me, 2 x 500mg a day. I'm very sensitive to anything that lowers my stress systems currently so this response is most welcome.

Anyone tried this

haidut said:
Lysine is a competitive inhibitor of arginine absorption and transport, and as such has been proposed to inhibit the synthesis of NO. Here are several studies showing that it does in fact inhibit NO synthesis and as such has been tested for endotoxin protection and schizophrenia. Btw, It seems NO is implicated in virtually all human pathologies these days!
Animal studies used doses equivalent to about 4g-6g per day for a human, and the human studies used 6g daily, which suggests that this is the effective dose for NO inhibition.

narouz said:
Wonderful stuff, haidut!

The most obvious and oft-cited relationship is the arginine competitor angle you note.
Do you think that's mainly it,
or are there ways of looking at it?

Any stray thoughts appreciated!
Thanks.

I'm concerned about lysine's effects on Testosterone. Do you know of any? Body building sites claim that contributes, but they make that claim in conjunction with arginine, so if they compete it can't be true. Does lysine supplementation alone have effects on testosterone? I was losing weight on a shellfish based diet, but that could be due to the high arginine content of the protein too and increased NO synthesis. I have noticed a significant slowing of weight loss when taking lysine, but the good effects outweigh that:

I started taking Lysine and I can attest to it's significant effects on water retention, which would definitely seem to support the anti-serotonin properties. I started/stopped taking it three times and each time I experienced a great deal of water shedding much what happens when taking too much magnesium, but unlike magnesium this seems to have a prolonged and sustained effect, and one dose of lysine seems to exert itself for up to a whole day. This seems to make supplementing easy.

I have also experienced a great deal of relief from depression, so that's really the best benefit of lysine for me, but the reduced bloat is really great.

I also experienced a complete cessation of bleeding when i brushed my teeth, something that's been happening for quite sometime. I have gone two weeks and not had a single bleeding incident. I also experienced a huge improvement in erection quality... harder and lasted longer, and was able to go a lot more often ;) but didn't notice any decrease in unwanted body fat or increase in muscle tone. My skin has improved significantly as well.

haidut

Forum Supporter
natedawggh said:
kineticz said:
Studies have shown lysine can inhibit serotonin in the brain and gut. It's providing great anxiety relief for me, 2 x 500mg a day. I'm very sensitive to anything that lowers my stress systems currently so this response is most welcome.

Anyone tried this

haidut said:
Lysine is a competitive inhibitor of arginine absorption and transport, and as such has been proposed to inhibit the synthesis of NO. Here are several studies showing that it does in fact inhibit NO synthesis and as such has been tested for endotoxin protection and schizophrenia. Btw, It seems NO is implicated in virtually all human pathologies these days!
Animal studies used doses equivalent to about 4g-6g per day for a human, and the human studies used 6g daily, which suggests that this is the effective dose for NO inhibition.

narouz said:
Wonderful stuff, haidut!

The most obvious and oft-cited relationship is the arginine competitor angle you note.
Do you think that's mainly it,
or are there ways of looking at it?

Any stray thoughts appreciated!
Thanks.

I'm concerned about lysine's effects on Testosterone. Do you know of any? Body building sites claim that contributes, but they make that claim in conjunction with arginine, so if they compete it can't be true. Does lysine supplementation alone have effects on testosterone? I was losing weight on a shellfish based diet, but that could be due to the high arginine content of the protein too and increased NO synthesis. I have noticed a significant slowing of weight loss when taking lysine, but the good effects outweigh that:

I started taking Lysine and I can attest to it's significant effects on water retention, which would definitely seem to support the anti-serotonin properties. I started/stopped taking it three times and each time I experienced a great deal of water shedding much what happens when taking too much magnesium, but unlike magnesium this seems to have a prolonged and sustained effect, and one dose of lysine seems to exert itself for up to a whole day. This seems to make supplementing easy.

I have also experienced a great deal of relief from depression, so that's really the best benefit of lysine for me, but the reduced bloat is really great.

I also experienced a complete cessation of bleeding when i brushed my teeth, something that's been happening for quite sometime. I have gone two weeks and not had a single bleeding incident. I also experienced a huge improvement in erection quality... harder and lasted longer, and was able to go a lot more often ;) but didn't notice any decrease in unwanted body fat or increase in muscle tone. My skin has improved significantly as well.

Peat said that serotonin depletion causes dramatic rise in testosterone / libido and cited the drug pCPA (Fenclonine) as an example. I don't know if lysine would have similar effect, but ondansetron and mianserin (both serotonin antagonists) have been reported to increase libido in men. So, maybe it's a dose dependent effects for lysine, but as far as lysine being bad for testosterone I have not seen anything yet.

narouz

Here's something I think I've just discovered about lysine.

I have been taking about 2g per day,
1g morning and 1g before bed.
I think it has helped with digestive issues
and I have herpes and I know it wards off or ameliorates that, but...

...I think it is what has been responsible for me
awaking at about 4 AM with an anxious/panic-y feeling
centered in my abdomen.
When I stopped taking the dose before bedtime
I lost that 4 AM anxious wake-up.

Previously, maybe in this thread,
I've reported that taking doses in excess of 2gs/day
and/or high doses combined with high biotin doses
have given me a "scared-y cat" feeling--
a fearful, paranoid kind of tinge.

natedawggh

Yeah I've seen people post about that so I was careful to gradually increase my dosage, but I've gotten to 3 grams a day in three doses and no bad emotional effects. In fact, I did have a day where I WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE: I was compelled to jack off four times. I haven't even been close to that randy since high school. It was kind of amazing.

I did experience some negative effects similar to yours from taurine. But those have not repeated themselves. I also use Swanson brand lysine, maybe it's something in your brand? Or... Maybe the unnatural increase having a positive effect causes a temporary negative reaction from certain changes and might even out with consistent use?

sm1693

Lysine appears to not be a serotonin antagonist per se; it seems to be a gut lining healer.

The difference may seem trivial, but, in my eyes, lysine is not something to be taken when feeling symptoms, but rather, to be taken each day as a preventative measure.

Pig research shows lysine enhances jejunum villus height and crypt depth. That's a bit complex, but intestines with a higher villus and less deep crypt appears to be what pathogen-free pigs have.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/p ... ssion.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 889390038H

This research suggests to take it away from other protein as its uptake is inhibited by arginine and leucine.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3678902286

Just my interpretation. Could be wrong.

narouz

natedawggh said:
I was compelled to jack off four times.

That's a lot! :shock:
Be sure to consume extra sugars
to ward off lactic acid build-up in your wrist. :cool:

narouz

sm1693 said:
Lysine appears to not be a serotonin antagonist per se; it seems to be a gut lining healer.

The difference may seem trivial, but, in my eyes, lysine is not something to be taken when feeling symptoms, but rather, to be taken each day as a preventative measure.

Pig research shows lysine enhances jejunum villus height and crypt depth. That's a bit complex, but intestines with a higher villus and less deep crypt appears to be what pathogen-free pigs have.

Yeah, I think it helps my gut.
How much are you taking, sm?

janus

sm1693 said:

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/p ... ssion.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 889390038H

This research suggests to take it away from other protein as its uptake is inhibited by arginine and leucine.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3678902286

Just my interpretation. Could be wrong.

Good info, thanks.

narouz

kineticz said:
I'm still taking lysine. Still a mild calming effect :)

I can't say I've felt the calming thing.
The clearest effect I think I've experienced is happier gut/digestion.
From a happier gut things can exfoliate,
and it's possible that accounts for some other improvements I've experienced.

OP
kineticz

kineticz

narouz said:
kineticz said:

Probably the reason for my mild reduction in anxiety - less gut inflammation.

janus

narouz said:
centered in my abdomen.

Do you take it alone? I've been taking 1.5g doses maybe 4x/day without experiencing that reaction, but it's always with glycine and taurine.

narouz

janus said:
narouz said:
centered in my abdomen.

Do you take it alone? I've been taking 1.5g doses maybe 4x/day without experiencing that reaction, but it's always with glycine and taurine.

I'm gonna have to retract that linkage, I think.
After more experimentation,
I found I got that same 4 AM feeling even though I took no lysine at bedtime.
Well...I did switch brands, so it could be that I guess.

Why do you take your lysine with glycine and taurine, janus?

janus

narouz said:
I'm gonna have to retract that linkage, I think.
After more experimentation,
I found I got that same 4 AM feeling even though I took no lysine at bedtime.
Well...I did switch brands, so it could be that I guess.

Why do you take your lysine with glycine and taurine, janus?

For a more "complete" amino acid blend. (It's usually with proline, too - 4g gly:1g tau:1.5g lys:1g pro).

Glycine and taurine are good for efficient protein metabolism (anti-catabolism, anti-methionine) and inhibit serotonin, so it made sense to combine with lysine.

natedawggh

I have been taking it again for another week and after a few days of slight headaches and one or two moments of fatigue, I have been having another resurgence of the benefits of taking it. I actually went to bed last night at 9:30 and fell asleep until just before 5 am. I haven't done that since I was probably 12 years old. I also woke with a temperature of 98.1

I am really liking this lysine.

natedawggh

kineticz said:
narouz said:
kineticz said:

Probably the reason for my mild reduction in anxiety - less gut inflammation.

I have VERY MUCH had a reduction in depression and anxiety. If I had to measure I'd guess that I am 85% less depressed. It's pretty wonderful. I had a few days of some memory and balance issues, but those went away.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals