L-Tyrosine

Ideonaut

Glycine for sleep, taurine for relaxation, and lysine for anxiety relief; these are all viable options.

What about l-tyrosine for stimulation? It increases dopamine; so much so that the military used it to promote wakefulness.

Has anyone tried supplementing l-tyrosine for energy? Are there any problems with doing so?
Just went to a "natural" doc to get bloodwork done. Chose him because he's an MD and the insurance would cover it. TSH above normal range. He has me taking L-tyrosine for it. Comments, erudite Peaters? Must admit, I'm disappointed to end up with low thyroid function after doing this Peat stuff for a couple of years, avoiding PUFA.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Just went to a "natural" doc to get bloodwork done. Chose him because he's an MD and the insurance would cover it. TSH above normal range. He has me taking L-tyrosine for it. Comments, erudite Peaters? Must admit, I'm disappointed to end up with low thyroid function after doing this Peat stuff for a couple of years, avoiding PUFA.
I've never heard of that.

It takes 4 years for PUFA to significantly reduce in the tissues (or longer if you're overweight). Removing PUFA doesn't stop aging; it just removes a major accelerator of the aging process.

xiaohua

Is your water fluoridated? Could you be iodine deficient? I know it's not part of the standard Peat protocol, but I can't see how it makes sense to just ignore iodine, as it's critical to thyroid function.

Giraffe

Just went to a "natural" doc to get bloodwork done. Chose him because he's an MD and the insurance would cover it. TSH above normal range. He has me taking L-tyrosine for it.
Sure he did not have you taking tyroxine?

Last edited:

TeslaFan

what about l-dopa in dopa mucuna?

Ray said it's neurotoxic. Tyrosine is safer, and Phenylalanine even more so.

"Since Parkinson's disease was found to be relieved by L-dopa 40 years ago, the role of serotonin in the disease has received little attention, but L-dopa has the ability to lower the production of serotonin (inhibiting the tryptophan hydroxylase enzyme) and to increase its decomposition. Unfortunately, it's neurotoxic in itself."

Pet Peeve

"Since Parkinson's disease was found to be relieved by L-dopa 40 years ago, the role of serotonin in the disease has received little attention, but L-dopa has the ability to lower the production of serotonin (inhibiting the tryptophan hydroxylase enzyme) and to increase its decomposition. Unfortunately, it's neurotoxic in itself."

Ah, thanks

Ideonaut

I've never heard of that.

It takes 4 years for PUFA to significantly reduce in the tissues (or longer if you're overweight). Removing PUFA doesn't stop aging; it just removes a major accelerator of the aging process.
NOT according to this Peat quote: “When the polyunsaturated fats in the diet are reduced, the amount of them stored in the tissues decreases for about four years, making it progressively easier to keep the metabolic rate up, and stress hormones down.” Haidut has posted that completely eliminating dietary fat can deplete PUFA in 3 weeks, also that the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fats in the blood is the important thing, so eating extra SFAs should be improving your health if PUFAs in the blood are suppressing thyoid and doing it's other nasty tricks. "God" knows I used to eat a lot of PUFAs.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

NOT according to this Peat quote: “When the polyunsaturated fats in the diet are reduced, the amount of them stored in the tissues decreases for about four years, making it progressively easier to keep the metabolic rate up, and stress hormones down.” Haidut has posted that completely eliminating dietary fat can deplete PUFA in 3 weeks, also that the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fats in the blood is the important thing, so eating extra SFAs should be improving your health if PUFAs in the blood are suppressing thyoid and doing it's other nasty tricks. "God" knows I used to eat a lot of PUFAs.
That Peat quote agrees with what I said exactly.

sladerunner69

Tyrosine seems increasing dopamine only with help of copper catalase and progesterone... But if you are deficient of tyrosine or hypothyroid plain tyrosine empty stomach seems good and fine to give some boost... Tyrosine with coffee is very good it gives a good high but makes you crash fast as well

Have you found ltyrosine to be helpful with pfs symptoms?

opethfeldt

Are you saying that inhibiting serotonin is neurotoxic or L-dopa itself is neurotoxic?

TeslaFan

Are you saying that inhibiting serotonin is neurotoxic or L-dopa itself is neurotoxic?

The text under quotes is from Ray Peat. Sorry if I did not make that fully clear.

"It" in the last sentence refers to L-DOPA because L-DOPA is the last subject in the previous sentence.
So, Ray is saying that L-DOPA is neurotoxic, even though it inhibits TPH -- which is a good thing in itself.

Here's the full article:

Estrogen, Serotonin, Mood, and Aging

Last edited:

opethfeldt

The text under quotes is from Ray Peat. Sorry if I did not make that fully clear.

"It" in the last sentence refers to L-DOPA because L-DOPA is the last subject in the previous sentence.
So, Ray is saying that L-DOPA is neurotoxic, even though it inhibits TPH -- which is a good thing in itself.

Here's the full article:

Estrogen, Serotonin, Mood, and Aging
Thank you for the clarification. I was pretty sure I understood what you meant but I thought I'd make sure.

Jsaute21

Ive tried NALT , L-Tyrosine and phenylalanine combined and seperate , small and large doses

NALT 750mg and Phenylalanine 2.5 grams first thing in the morning on and empty stomach is the way to go.

Its not like some super noticable effect like dexamphetamine , just a subtle increase in motivation. For me it makes it easier to do mundane tasks but doesnt exactly increase my enjoyment in anything but like everything else gotta try it out for yourself before you make a judgement on it.
Ive tried NALT , L-Tyrosine and phenylalanine combined and seperate , small and large doses

NALT 750mg and Phenylalanine 2.5 grams first thing in the morning on and empty stomach is the way to go.

Its not like some super noticable effect like dexamphetamine , just a subtle increase in motivation. For me it makes it easier to do mundane tasks but doesnt exactly increase my enjoyment in anything but like everything else gotta try it out for yourself before you make a judgement on it.

Do you think dexamphetamine improved 5AR enzyme?

Ideonaut

Is your water fluoridated? Could you be iodine deficient? I know it's not part of the standard Peat protocol, but I can't see how it makes sense to just ignore iodine, as it's critical to thyroid function.
My water is fluoridated but I use a "zerowater" filter that's supposed to remove the nasty poison. I'll try some ioidine, thanks!

Travis

I just looked at the reaction pathway, and thyroxine is made from two tyrosine molecules:

M9780323045827-041-f006.jpg

And the enzyme the deiodinases thyroxine to active triiodothyrinine is dependent on selenium. You cannot forgot about selenium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals