Low Toxin Lifestyle "Lions eat the livers of their prey. Humans are carnivores just like lions. Why would eating liver be OK for a lion but not for a human?"

RealNeat

Throwing in a pile of conditional and tangential factoids doesn't prove anything.
The fact is that in primitive hunter gatherer cultures people do eat and relish fresh raw liver. After a kill it's shared and eaten first. Along with some intestine including digesta. >One of the delicacies among Indian hunters is the liver of a fat buffalo or deer that has become granulated from being overheated during a long chase. This is taken from the animal and sprinkled with the gall and devoured greedily raw.
not only that they also ate a bunch of other organs and combinations thereof, sometimes with the contents of the intestine still in the colon (often for the pregnant!) Primitive chemistry! They tailor made their babies from head structure to jaw size with their ancestral wisdom of the food around them. Nothing is a poison, everything is a tool, we just need to use the brain God gave us and not burn books (or people)...

They quickly noticed the trends of the foods they used. no distractions, just nature, family, medicine, food, hunting and their religion (and occasionally war) **still better than netflix**.

"Nourishing Diets: How Paleo, Ancestral and Traditional Peoples Really Ate"​

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Carnivores have a higher ratio of hepatic stellate cells to hepatocytes. The stellate cells store retinol. the hepatocytes are the normal liver cells that are responsible for the usual processes in the liver. That doesn't mean they thrive on retinol, it just means they can get away with eating other animals.

No one really knows what the stellate cells do beyond storing vitamin A, so these cells are likely just a defense mechanism to protect the body.

Carnivores are also able to excrete retinyl esters through the urine, something humans can't do. This means that carnivores detoxify the dangerous unbound form of retinol conveniently via urine, while in humans elevated free retinyl esters are very dangerous and can build up easily.

These differences between carnivores and humans is the primary reason lions can get away with eating liver. This also shows that humans were never designed to eat high A foods like liver.
But why would a lion eat liver then?
Animals dont get addicted to food like humans do.
There is plenty of zebra and antelope to hunt.
Why would they eat this small peace of an animal(liver) if it is of no value and toxic?
Something doesn't make sense in all of this...
I am not pro or against eating liver, just being curious...

mosaic01

Animals dont get addicted to food like humans do.

What makes you think that? Of course they do. Animals can get addicted to fast food, alcohol, etc.

Pets are commonly addicted to pet food, which is made to be extremely addictive.

Why would they eat this small peace of an animal(liver) if it is of no value and toxic?

Well, they eat all meat they can, it's not like they think about nutrition. It's the softest part of the animal, and in the wild it is important to quickly devour an animal, to prevent other animals from eating it. There is value in the liver, it is meat after all.

Additionally, retinol and copper have addictive properties.

Again, carnivoes are made for this, that's why they detoxify retinol via the urine. That plus their storage ability makes it relatively non-toxic because their body knows how to deal with the toxin.

Last edited:

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
What makes you think that? Of course they do. Animals can get addicted to fast food, alcohol, etc.

Pets are commonly addicted to pet food, which is made to be extremely addictive.
Well, I meant animals in wild. Like lions. They dont have junk food around.
I read just now somewhere, as I am exploring these low toxin threads, that mice if they are in proper environment, which I think lions also are, don't want to drink cocaine water.
I would think lion is smarter then this. This small, toxic, stinky piece of meat called liver, why would he bother with it when there is so much muscle meat around. They have no reason to eat it.
Dunno...

mosaic01

Well, I meant animals in wild. Like lions. They dont have junk food around.

That's not the point. The point is that animals can get addicted to chemicals, just like we do. So no reason to assume they won't get addicted to retinol.

Do you even read what I write? Carnivores are equipped to deal with the toxin called retinol, that's why eating liver doesn't harm them. It becomes non-toxic to them. Thus eating liver is also non-toxic to them. Relatively speaking.

Carnivores detoxing retinyl esters via urine and having massive amounts of stellate cells is a fact, which you ignore completely in your replies. They would die otherwise from toxicity, as humans do when they eat a lot of liver.

I would think lion is smarter then this.

When lions eat their prey, they start with the heart, lungs and liver. It's just a survival mechanism to start with the easiest to digest meat. These are large pieces of meat without bones. That's how nature works. Survival comes first, not thriving. This is a basic argument of evolutionary theory, which you implied you believe in.

It's not what humans project into this, some kind of wisdom of the lion to eat the best stuff first.

Jabuger

isn’t one of the reasons animals eat organs because they are easier to access?

It’s hard to get the muscle meat when it is surrounded by skin and fur. Once you cut the animal open its organs leak out and you can feast easily.

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
Carnivores detoxing retinyl esters via urine and having massive amounts of stellate cells is a fact, which you ignore completely in your replies. They would die otherwise from toxicity, as humans do when they eat a lot of liver.
Sorry
I was thinking that is not important, but I suppose its a survival because they are obligatory carnivores, mechanism which humans don't have.
Do you happen to know about dogs and how much of those stellate cells they have?
People report their dogs get disgusted by livers, they wonnt eat it.

mosaic01

People report their dogs get disgusted by livers, they wonnt eat it.

Pet food is loaded with retinol and liver. I think it's probably that some dogs are already so toxic that their body rejects it. Looks like dogs are not carnivores and get retinol toxic pretty quickly.

Cats can get away with way more retinol than dogs, because cats are actually carnivores.

Vitamin A poisoning most commonly occurs when pets are fed raw liver, cod liver oil, or other supplements rich in vitamin A over several weeks to months.

isn’t one of the reasons animals eat organs because they are easier to access?

Yes that's what I wanted to convey. Easy to access, quick to swallow.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals