Low Toxin Lifestyle "Lions eat the livers of their prey. Humans are carnivores just like lions. Why would eating liver be OK for a lion but not for a human?"

mosaic01

How does a lion get away with eating liver (high in vit.A) while humans can't , according to your theory?

Carnivores have a higher ratio of hepatic stellate cells to hepatocytes. The stellate cells store retinol. the hepatocytes are the normal liver cells that are responsible for the usual processes in the liver. That doesn't mean they thrive on retinol, it just means they can get away with eating other animals.

No one really knows what the stellate cells do beyond storing vitamin A, so these cells are likely just a defense mechanism to protect the body.

Carnivores are also able to excrete retinyl esters through the urine, something humans can't do. This means that carnivores detoxify the dangerous unbound form of retinol conveniently via urine, while in humans elevated free retinyl esters are very dangerous and can build up easily.

These differences between carnivores and humans is the primary reason lions can get away with eating liver. This also shows that humans were never designed to eat high A foods like liver.

Last edited:

GTW

Throwing in a pile of conditional and tangential factoids doesn't prove anything.
The fact is that in primitive hunter gatherer cultures people do eat and relish fresh raw liver. After a kill it's shared and eaten first. Along with some intestine including digesta. >One of the delicacies among Indian hunters is the liver of a fat buffalo or deer that has become granulated from being overheated during a long chase. This is taken from the animal and sprinkled with the gall and devoured greedily raw.

InChristAlone

Throwing in a pile of conditional and tangential factoids doesn't prove anything.
The fact is that in primitive hunter gatherer cultures people do eat and relish fresh raw liver. After a kill it's shared and eaten first. Along with some intestine including digesta. >One of the delicacies among Indian hunters is the liver of a fat buffalo or deer that has become granulated from being overheated during a long chase. This is taken from the animal and sprinkled with the gall and devoured greedily raw.
Source?

Native American tribes (at least in my area) would distribute the liver among the hunters for a few bites each, and the hunter that made the kill would get the first bite. It's not like they would each sit down to a big plate of liver.

I personally think liver is one of the most foul tasting foods out there. I've maybe had five pieces in my entire life. It's always been doctored in some way to try to make it taste better, never to any avail.

GTW

Native American tribes (at least in my area) would distribute the liver among the hunters for a few bites each, and the hunter that made the kill would get the first bite. It's not like they would each sit down to a big plate of liver.

I personally think liver is one of the most foul tasting foods out there. I've maybe had five pieces in my entire life. It's always been doctored in some way to try to make it taste better, never to any avail.
Gorging on valued delicacies seems to be a modern trait. Favoring sweet over savory and stinky another.

L_C

Hm, copper pipes were never all that common in the States. I will look at my data but mostly in the past, small service laterals were galvanized steel. Today, they install polyethylene.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hm, copper pipes were never all that common in the States. I will look at my data but mostly in the past, small service laterals were galvanized steel. Today, they install polyethylene.
Water heaters contain copper piping, and the water is hot so even more copper leaches and is then absorbed when taking showers/baths.

InChristAlone

You can find dozens online.
You have to read the entire thing to get the context.
"it would hardly do to print what an Indian will eat when he is hungry. Were I to do so I would find that the readers would not believe it, and if they believed it they would not get hungry for some time afterword."
"To the Indian, dog is a delicacy beside which nothing can be compared"
"Snakes, toads, lizards, bugs, grasshoppers and such articles are considered as regular diet among the many tribes"
"For nine months out of twelve the entire diet of the whole tribe in its natural state is meat, preferably cooked, but not refused if raw. During the other three months berries and wild fruits, with some corn, from a change to the regular diet. While agencies have changed this rule to an extent it still is more the rule to live off of meat alone than to have anything to vary the menu."

How often did they kill a fat buffalo or deer?
Sounds like they were starving most of the time.

I think people are lacking the ability to understand context. A starving person or animal will eat the thing that is easiest, the liver is easy to grab out of an animal, the muscle meat can be tough.

GTW

Starving most of the time? Supercilious ignorance. You added your own modern prejudices.

InChristAlone

Starving most of the time? Supercilious ignorance. You added your own modern prejudices.
I just quoted the source you used. I didn't add anything to it other than my own ability to read context. Us modern humans have never known what it's like to wait on a kill for food. We get in our car and drive 5 minutes to have every food possible available to us. Do you not understand context?

Your next source also talks about starving:
"When deprived of food for an extended period of time, Mountain Men would go straight for the liver and organs."

Interesting comment on that website: "When I was little we didn't get beef or calves liver bcuz my Mom was allergic. When she was little, she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died after eating it."

Also that website sells dehydrated liver, so it's no surprise they cherry picked all the people groups who prized eating liver (leaving out the cultures that don't). I hope people do not buy that product, liver rapidly deteriorates, which is why it's eaten fresh after a kill.

Miggie

Who is to say that animals cant form addictions? eating a liver can be stimulating right due to all the toxins? who says the animal isn't doing it to get its next high.

I love liver. When I was little we didn't get beef or calves liver bcuz my Mom was allergic. When she was little, she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died after eating it.
I discovered it just a few yrs ago. Now I can't live without it 😋 I love it organic and cooked medium rare

Maybe it's just me, but I think a full comment is more honest.... especially if somebody is going to quote it

InChristAlone

I love liver. When I was little we didn't get beef or calves liver bcuz my Mom was allergic. When she was little, she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died after eating it.
I discovered it just a few yrs ago. Now I can't live without it 😋 I love it organic and cooked medium rare

Maybe it's just me, but I think a full comment is more honest.... especially if somebody is going to quote it
We all know the liver lovers out there, the comment about the Mother can stand on it's own without the unnecessary praise of liver. Why would someone go in to shock from eating liver? Because it's toxic.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

LA

You are correct. We have galvanized steel pipes and recently my husband had to thread some new pipes from the water meter next to the street to the house, which was built in the early 1920s. He said our water heater is NOT copper.

Mephisto

I've never enjoyed liver, but i dislike meat in general. My my mom loves liver, she'll always buy some for herself as a treat, the dog and cat go wild for it too.

TheSir

Who is to say that animals cant form addictions? eating a liver can be stimulating right due to all the toxins? who says the animal isn't doing it to get its next high.
At least in rat studies it has been found to be impossible to make the rats addicted to cocaine when they are living in an environment that matches their natural environment. They will prefer regular water over cocaine water. Addiction is a coping mechanism for an unmet essential need, and nature tends to fulfill all essential needs, as nature is what led to the development of those needs in the first place. Thus addiction does not typically exist in the wild.

purple pill

I've never enjoyed liver, but i dislike meat in general. My my mom loves liver, she'll always buy some for herself as a treat, the dog and cat go wild for it too.
Weird, not sure why some animals eat liver and others don't....my dog wont touch liver, literally turns away in disgust. Same with my old cat, he used to go apeshit for raw beef and chicken but would never touch liver.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals