Long-lived Compilation Facts

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The majority of those supercentenarians barely have wrinkles considering their age. I can't remember if it was from Ray or some member here on the forum that posted that skin aging reflects pretty well the accumulation of damage on internal organs. If someone knows where it is, please quote..

Well, connective tissue is probably the most delicate of all... I can get Frank's sign and then see it disappear in a matter of weeks.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Forgot to add to one of my previous posts about Walter:

http://www.prx.org/pieces/54443/transcripts/131167
WALTER HAS NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEMS AND FOR YEARS ONLY TOOK A SMALL DOSE OF ASPIRIN.

WALTER: “No pills, no medicine, none. R: Do you still take an aspirin a day? W: I don’t take nothing anymore, I quit that too. R: How come? W: I don’t need it. I’ve been going to the doctor every 6 months, he pulled out his computer and said come back in six months, well why the hell am I going to the doctor?” Walter1.wav :26

Amazoniac said:
post 116496 The majority of those supercentenarians barely have wrinkles considering their age. I can't remember if it was from Ray or some member here on the forum that posted that skin aging reflects pretty well the accumulation of damage on internal organs. If someone knows where it is, please quote..

They are often very wrinkled. I have the book and many look like prunes. Understandably.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

ecstatichamster said:
post 116510
Amazoniac said:
post 116496 The majority of those supercentenarians barely have wrinkles [highlight=yellow]considering their age[/highlight]. I can't remember if it was from Ray or some member here on the forum that posted that skin aging reflects pretty well the accumulation of damage on internal organs. If someone knows where it is, please quote..

They are often very wrinkled. I have the book and many look like prunes. Understandably.
Just look for supercentenarian on Google images and you can check for yourself..

Ahanu

Not much about supplements here :):

SugarBoy said:
post 117414 Not much about supplements here :):

well that says something, doesn't it?

These people don't take supplements it seems. They eat chocolate. Fried foods. And many smoked through their early 100s.

Ahanu

Wonder if they took thyroid. Are there some statistics from broda Barnes patients? Would be interesting too

SugarBoy said:
post 117435 Wonder if they took thyroid. Are there some statistics from broda Barnes patients? Would be interesting too

i always think that survivorship bias plays here huge. There are bound to be people who live a long time. Can we learn from them, or are they so different than us, so "above average" like the huge bodybuilders or the people who can run a sub 4 minute mile compared to the weekend athlete?

What stands out with ALL of them is their attitude. They don't take things to seriously (except religion in many cases) and don't let things bother them.

THAT is what stands out when you read about them. They do NOT STRESS OUT about stuff.

My stepmother is not healthy but she's in her mid 80s and her sisters in their mid 90s. All the people around the sisters are dying or have died but she and her sisters have a spirit that just doesn't get overly bothered somehow by it all.

I think our focus on diet etc. may detract from our quality of life enough to really matter. Obsession about supplements and diet IS a form of stress.

schultz

ecstatichamster said:
SugarBoy said:
post 117435 Wonder if they took thyroid. Are there some statistics from broda Barnes patients? Would be interesting too

i always think that survivorship bias plays here huge. There are bound to be people who live a long time. Can we learn from them, or are they so different than us, so "above average" like the huge bodybuilders or the people who can run a sub 4 minute mile compared to the weekend athlete?

What stands out with ALL of them is their attitude. They don't take things to seriously (except religion in many cases) and don't let things bother them.

THAT is what stands out when you read about them. They do NOT STRESS OUT about stuff.

My stepmother is not healthy but she's in her mid 80s and her sisters in their mid 90s. All the people around the sisters are dying or have died but she and her sisters have a spirit that just doesn't get overly bothered somehow by it all.

I think our focus on diet etc. may detract from our quality of life enough to really matter. Obsession about supplements and diet IS a form of stress.

Yah I bet it has something to do with stress and being happy, etc. That's what stands out to me anyway. Hard to really know from a few sentences about each person though. Stressing out too much about diet seems counter productive. Enjoy life. Find the good in things.

InChristAlone

I agree with @ecstatichamster that the key to longevity is their carefree attitude about life. You just cannot live a long life if you stressed out about everything all the time. And I have learned this the hard way!! Even Hans Seyle said the biggest stress is mental frustration. It is how we react to the stress.

tara

Funny!
I like his diet though..
Just noticing that Walter Breuning says he's eaten just two meals a day (breakfast and lunch) lots of fruit for the last 35 years. Doesn't look like a bad scheme to me. A good part of his longevity was probably determined before this, though - in his first nearly-80 years.

tara

Not much about supplements here :)
The supercentenarians all had their early years in a time when soils were much less depleted - they may have been getting a lot more micronutrients out of their fruit and veges than people in the last few decades have.

Wonder if they took thyroid.
It's possible some of them did for at least part of their lives as a part of basic diet, eg in sausages etc.

They do NOT STRESS OUT about stuff.
No doubt worry can raise stress hormones and affect health in a number of ways, but I also note that its a lot easier to be relaxed about things when one's health is good. Their attitude may be as much a result of good health as a cause.

Rafe

Less degraded food & water supply. Plenty of carbs. Adequate protein.

Wanting to live.

Thanks for this post.

"Being alive is good for you." --RP

InChristAlone

How do you blame poor soils though when they've been eating the same foods we've been eating for decades? I think we cannot say it is one thing or another. Some smoked their entire adult lives. So did my Grandma but she died of lung disease in her 70s. She also loved coffee and chocolate. But I can tell you what, she was a miserable person.

tara

How do you blame poor soils though when they've been eating the same foods we've been eating for decades?
Just a possible factor. I think anyone who gets really well nourished through childhood and early adulthood, including getting mineral stores built up to generous levels, probably gets some protective advantage from this that may last the rest of their lives.
I think we cannot say it is one thing or another.
I agree. There can be so many factors, including chance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals