Magnesium Per Rectum

narouz

Anybody ever tried this?
I know next to nothing about this Dr. Sarah Myhill,
but here's the article from her website...
Magnesium Per Rectum - DoctorMyhill

Magnesium Per Rectum

Giving magnesium by injection is the quickest way of restoring normal blood and tissue levels of magnesium. However, for some patients the injections, whilst giving benefit, are too painful to be considered long term.

At a conference in Australia in 1999 I spoke to a doctor who had been trying magnesium sulphate given PR (per rectum - ie up the backside! - like a suppository) with some success. If this technique works, then it would be a cheap, safe, do-it-yourself at home technique which could replace uncomfortable injections. I have now tried magnesium PR with quite a few of my patients and it has been as effective as the injections in some of them.

To try this at home, you need some Epsom salts and an enema syringe. Epsom salts are virtually pure magnesium sulphate and are available from chemists. You can buy an enema syringe from the chemist and this can be re-used so long as sensible hygienic precautions are taken between doses. Enema syringes and epsom salts can also be bought online as linked - Enema Syringe and Epsom Salts. These links are merely representative and special offers are always worth looking out for!

Dissolve 250g of Epsom salts in 1 litre of warm water. This provides 5 grams in 20 ml, equivalent to 600mgs of elemental magnesium. This solution can be stored in the fridge for six months, but do not forget to warm up before use.

To load the syringe dip the tip into the magnesium solution, and draw 20ml back into the syringe. Some patients find it easier to hold the magnesium in by starting with a very tiny amount of the liquid and slowly increasing the dose, thus giving the back passage time to get used to the experience! Magnesium is well absorbed through the colon and 600mgs is a good dose. All electrolytes have potential toxicity, so do not use more than 20ml in 24 hours.

Insert the tip of the enema syringe into your bottom (perhaps using some KY jelly as a lubricant). Once the tip is in position, slowly squeeze the bulb and the contents will pass into the rectum. It is sensible to lie down for several minutes after! Hold on to the magnesium for as long as possible.

If the magnesium is being absorbed, then I would expect patients to get the same response as from a magnesium injection, but of course without the pain. It does work for a useful proportion of CFS patients and so is well worth trying if you get benefit from the magnesium injections.

schultz

I've never tried it. I enjoy getting my magnesium from coffee. This method sounds slightly less enjoyable... slightly.

jyb

There's loads of stuff I never hear about elsewhere on this DoctorMyhill site...

Makrosky

Yes I kinda tried that. I never read it anywhere, it came out of self experimentation. Back to the days where I was doing coffee enemas, I sometimes included half tsp of epsom salts to it. Definitely noticeable. I'm not sure because of the magnesium or the sulfate.

OP
N

narouz

There's loads of stuff I never hear about elsewhere on this DoctorMyhill site...

Yeah. I'm gonna have to delve into it when I have time.
I did scout her thyroid section, and it seemed pretty smart--not typical bs.
There is (or was) a poster here named kineticz, I think it was. He seemed to be a fan of her.

OP
N

narouz

I've never tried it. I enjoy getting my magnesium from coffee. This method sounds slightly less enjoyable... slightly.

Oh come on!
Nothing like magnesium per yer rectum to kick off the day!

OP
N

narouz

Yes I kinda tried that. I never read it anywhere, it came out of self experimentation. Back to the days where I was doing coffee enemas, I sometimes included half tsp of epsom salts to it. Definitely noticeable. I'm not sure because of the magnesium or the sulfate.

In the blurb I quoted she says the enema delivery is just about as effective as the injected--which she also does with certain patients.
I'm hypothyroid and we hypos have a hard time holding onto enough magnesium, says Peat.
It seems a little scary to me, but...I'll probably give it a try.
You seem to have survived, so that gives me courage.:wink

Peater Piper

Sounds like a great idea for a party, everyone gets magnesium enemas. Seriously though, even if it doesn't sound like fun, 5 minutes of a little discomfort (or maybe just feeling awkward) for something that works would be well worth it. It can't be worse than eating liver.

OP
N

narouz

Sounds like a great idea for a party, everyone gets magnesium enemas. Seriously though, even if it doesn't sound like fun, 5 minutes of a little discomfort (or maybe just feeling awkward) for something that works would be well worth it. It can't be worse than eating liver.

I've done enemas--so I'm not scared of that.
But the idea of squirting a magnesium solution up there...gives me pause.
I guess it's because certain forms of magnesium, taken orally, can sometimes cause pretty intense laxative effects.
Seems like it would do that in the colon as well...?

Peater Piper

I'm not sure. 20 ml isn't much fluid, so I doubt it gets that high up in the colon. It wouldn't be traveling through the entire intestine the way it would orally, drawing water to itself. Then again, oral magnesium should be getting absorbed in the colon too? Or maybe that's not possible once it's mixed with stool.

SQu

It might be sedating? I tried peat's suggestion that was mentioned recently in a post, of t3 simultaneously with magnesium (orally) and was groggy for two days. Interpreting that as a big boost, I continued this combination but at bedtime and a few weeks later it's still working and helping me sleep and lowering stress response. So if magnesium isn't 'getting through' this might be another route, so to speak.

Makrosky

I've done enemas--so I'm not scared of that.
But the idea of squirting a magnesium solution up there...gives me pause.
I guess it's because certain forms of magnesium, taken orally, can sometimes cause pretty intense laxative effects.
Seems like it would do that in the colon as well...?

narouz, you don't have to worry if you start with small ammounts and see how you react. I think the epsom salts are a bit drying so be careful with that.

The thing about rectum enemas is that the substance goes directly to the liver via portal vein. No stomach irritation, no absorption problems, etc. Direct path.

Makrosky

Be careful with rectal magnesium. It can be deadly because the magnesium is more completely absorbed.

Medscape: Medscape Access

Yeah exactly. I forgot that. One of the mechanisms of the body to get rid of excess magnessium is by making you have diarrhea. If you bypass that route it can be dangerous.

Thanks for pointint it Atalanta.

YuraCZ

Yeah exactly. I forgot that. One of the mechanisms of the body to get rid of excess magnessium is by making you have diarrhea. If you bypass that route it can be dangerous.

Thanks for pointint it Atalanta.
Really? So transdermal magnesium can be also dangerous? Or swimming in the ocean. Which is full of minerals..? Because I think it is the best thing what you can do for replenish minerals,electrolytes. Relaxing in the ocean/sea..

Makrosky

Really? So transdermal magnesium can be also dangerous? Or swimming in the ocean. Which is full of minerals..?
Yura I think in transdermal the absorption happens slowly for hours right ? The body could compensate, no ?

But now that I think about it.... epsom salt baths have A LOT of magnesium and there's no overdose....

Hm.... I don't really know then.

YuraCZ

Yura I think in transdermal the absorption happens slowly for hours right ? The body could compensate, no ?

But now that I think about it.... epsom salt baths have A LOT of magnesium and there's no overdose....

Hm.... I don't really know then.
I'm using magnesium chloride dissolved in water for transdermal application. There is no better alternative than this...

Makrosky

I'm using magnesium chloride dissolved in water for transdermal application. There is no better alternative than this...
Really? That easy ? Like normal magnesium chloride for oral consumption dissolved in mineral water and then applied topically ? Gotta try that!

YuraCZ

Really? That easy ? Like normal magnesium chloride for oral consumption dissolved in mineral water and then applied topically ? Gotta try that!
Magnesium chloride is the same magnesium as in the ocean.. I don't use mg chloride orally anymore..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals