Methylene Blue alleviates lactate/edema

LadyRae

Over the past month or so I have scoured the Forum looking for information regarding post-exercise edema in my lower body. This water retention tends to disappear overnight but as soon as I wake up and start moving around I feel a heaviness in my legs, especially my calves.

I was watching a Jay Feldman podcast and also along with bits from Hans Amato, I decided to experiment with two doses daily of methylene blue. 5 milligrams in the morning and 5 at night which I know is quite a bit. In just two days of doing this my lower body edema has reduced markedly in the evenings!

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else have any tips for dealing with water retention post exercise?

Last edited by a moderator:

yerrag

10,000 mg a day of MB, are you sure you have the dosage right? At that dosage you would have methemoglobinemia at the very least.

As far as I know, the HED ranges from 6 to 60mg/day of MB for the use of MB for antibacterial purposes, and if it's for metabolic purposes, it would even be lower.

I hope you had a typo.

Assuming you dosed right, how did you notice the reduction in lower body edema? Was it like less swollen ankles and knees?

p.s. You mentioned edema in calves, so I guess it must be something I haven't seen as it's not easy to differentiate between edematous calves and thick calves. It's easier to spot an edematous knee or ankle.

Last edited:

rei

10,000 mg a day of MB, are you sure you have the dosage right? At that dosage you would have methemoglobinemia at the very least.

As far as I know, the HED ranges from 6 to 60mg/day of MB for the use of MB for antibacterial purposes, and if it's for metabolic purposes, it would even be lower.

I hope you had a typo.

Assuming you dosed right, how did you notice the reduction in lower body edema? Was it like less swollen ankles and knees?

p.s. You mentioned edema in calves, so I guess it must be something I haven't seen as it's not easy to differentiate between edematous calves and thick calves. It's easier to spot an edematous knee or ankle.
normal doses range up to 200mg and that you can take several times per day. I don't believe OP in taking 10g in a day.

yerrag

normal doses range up to 200mg and that you can take several times per day. I don't believe OP in taking 10g in a day.
But you're not agreeing to the idea of 10g/day of MB though, are you?

yerrag

@rei if you do a search of the many threads on MB, I can't find any post that supports what you say about a single dose of 200mg taken multiple times a day. So you'll have to come up with a reference to support what you're saying.

p. s. we are talking mg and not mcg

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

I hope you had a typo.

Typo-yes! 5mg, twice a day.
The edema wasn't in my joints but instead I felt it in my skin all around my calves and my upper legs as well. All of my pants would be really tight, a contrast from morning till night that was very noticeable ....

When I would squat down the skin would fill super tight and my legs would feel heavy. After the methylene blue experiment, all of this was lessened.

I am 43 years old, 5' 10", 130lbs, so I am definitely not thick! ?.

Another thing that I have been doing is taking a few supplements to deal with estrogen dominance. Calcium D glucarate, and biochemical progesterone.

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

@rei if you do a search of the many threads on MB, I can't find any post that supports what you say about a single dose of 200mg taken multiple times a day. So you'll have to come up with a reference to support what you're saying.

I found a lot of different post about methylene blue course, but not a lot of guarding its ability to either flush out lactic acid or inhibit its production in the first place. While exercising the last few days, I have also really paid attention to my breathing and focused on nose breathing only. I've been getting really good at it, I can keep my mouth shut even when my heart rate is in the 150s....this increase in CO2 may also help lower lactic acid production.

I don't have any studies to reference, I was simply sharing my personal experience and wondering if others had any similar experiences dealing with water retention post-exercise. I appreciate your replies!

yerrag

Typo-yes! 5mg, twice a day.
The edema wasn't in my joints but instead I felt it in my skin all around my calves and my upper legs as well. All of my pants would be really tight, a contrast from morning till night that was very noticeable ....

When I would squat down the skin would fill super tight and my legs would feel heavy. After the methylene blue experiment, all of this was lessened.

I am 43 years old, 5' 10", 130lbs, so I am definitely not thick! ?.

Another thing that I have been doing is taking a few supplements to deal with estrogen dominance. Calcium D glucarate, and biochemical progesterone.
It's good that it had that effect, though I hope someone can come up with an explanation for that.

Someone who had edema and struggled with it and overcame it would be more likely to come up with an explanation. Unfortunately, and knock on wood, I have not had that experience. I've been using mb at a high dose lately, but based on the idea that it kills catalase-positive bacteria (as used in killing bacteria involved in UTI conditions), and on that idea, I've been using it to kill one such bacteria that I believe to be interfering with phagocytosis by neutrophils. It's a long story, so I'll leave it at that. But I'm glad it worked for you at such a low dosage.

I found a lot of different post about methylene blue course, but not a lot of guarding its ability to either flush out lactic acid or inhibit its production in the first place. While exercising the last few days, I have also really paid attention to my breathing and focused on nose breathing only. I've been getting really good at it, I can keep my mouth shut even when my heart rate is in the 150s....this increase in CO2 may also help lower lactic acid production.

I don't have any studies to reference, I was simply sharing my personal experience and wondering if others had any similar experiences dealing with water retention post-exercise. I appreciate your replies!
Thanks for answering for rei. I had to respond because 200mg/dose is way too much. It is already above daily HED and just that one dose alone is going to cause methemoglobinemia and I don't think anyone wants that. So any posts that can cause people to use a dosage that is unsafe needs to be corrected.

rei

here
In a more recent trial, MB monotherapy in 60 West African adults with falciparum malaria (a fixed dose of 780 mg for 3 days) showed a 100% cure ...

sorry it's not 200mg several times per day, but even harsher 780mg once per day. But you can find the references for ~200mg single dose several times per day if you care to look.

yerrag

yerrag

??

You need to provide a reference especially if what you're saying hasn't been referenced before in this forum.

Thank you for the effort.

Last edited:

rei

i have no idea why you would ask to reference to RPF threads when i just claimed general knowledge, and linked scientific source for much larger dosage. And did you mean with revisions when i edited in the clarifiactions?

yerrag

i have no idea why you would ask to reference to RPF threads when i just claimed general knowledge, and linked scientific source for much larger dosage. And did you mean with revisions when i edited in the clarifiactions?
You're referring to general knowledge?

How come everyone else in the forum isn't aware of it?

And would it help more if you mentioned that such a high dosage applies to malaria and does not necessarily apply to cases not involving malaria?

Last edited:
OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

It's good that it had that effect, though I hope someone can come up with an explanation for that.

Someone who had edema and struggled with it and overcame it would be more likely to come up with an explanation. Unfortunately, and knock on wood, I have not had that experience. I've been using mb at a high dose lately, but based on the idea that it kills catalase-positive bacteria (as used in killing bacteria involved in UTI conditions), and on that idea, I've been using it to kill one such bacteria that I believe to be interfering with phagocytosis by neutrophils. It's a long story, so I'll leave it at that. But I'm glad it worked for you at such a low dosage.

Thanks for answering for rei. I had to respond because 200mg/dose is way too much. It is already above daily HED and just that one dose alone is going to cause methemoglobinemia and I don't think anyone wants that. So any posts that can cause people to use a dosage that is unsafe needs to be corrected.
A flatter stomach has been observed as well... Better digestion, no bloating, improved motility.... MB has SO many benefits!

yerrag

A flatter stomach has been observed as well... Better digestion, no bloating, improved motility.... MB has SO many benefits!
Or it could be that you were taking something else as well, and that MB came along at the right time, and as part of a stack everything just fell into place? If you look back to what you were taking, what would that stack be like?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals