Morphine palliative care, toxic?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Friend of mines mother just recently passed away. She had multiple tumors including, brain, liver, stomach and a few years ago she had a lung removed due to lung cancer.

She had recently been put on palliative care which included morphine. She apparently started to get shakes which I assume was down to the morphine.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to if morphine may have hastened her death? Given its toxic effects I feel like the morphine may have played a role. I've seen brief mentions of the dangers of morphine in the forum but can't find anything from Ray or specifically with regards to palliative care.

Thank you.

Friend of mines mother just recently passed away. She had multiple tumors including, brain, liver, stomach and a few years ago she had a lung removed due to lung cancer.

She had recently been put on palliative care which included morphine. She apparently started to get shakes which I assume was down to the morphine.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to if morphine may have hastened her death? Given its toxic effects I feel like the morphine may have played a role. I've seen brief mentions of the dangers of morphine in the forum but can't find anything from Ray or specifically with regards to palliative care.

Thank you.
My mother died from a dose of morphine, it was prescribed to her for back pain.

jnklheimer

Yes, morphine surpresses immune system and increases tumor growth. I don't think it is negligent to give people near the end comfort via opiates though.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Yes, morphine surpresses immune system and increases tumor growth. I don't think it is negligent to give people near the end comfort via opiates though.
I agree I would not say it is negligent but its the whole paradigm which is so upside down in the medical world the fact that this is so often the path it is very sad.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
My mother died from a dose of morphine, it was prescribed to her for back pain.
Very sorry to hear that I don't think people fully understand the dangers of morphine (I certainly didn't), the more I read it almost seems like once the doctors think that there is no more chance for recovery (which given the standard medical treatment of chemo and radiotherapy is often the case for mainstream medicine) they put patients on morphine with the knowledge that it will make them die sooner. It really is a form of euthanasia.

blob69

I agree I would not say it is negligent but its the whole paradigm which is so upside down in the medical world the fact that this is so often the path it is very sad.
When my father was at the end (cancer) he was given morphine and it felt so strange to watch it all. It was like dulling him into some strange zombie state before he passed. Morphine is like heroin, very toxic really, Peat wrote and spoke about this a lot. Is there really no better option?

konatowntom

Very sorry to hear that I don't think people fully understand the dangers of morphine (I certainly didn't), the more I read it almost seems like once the doctors think that there is no more chance for recovery (which given the standard medical treatment of chemo and radiotherapy is often the case for mainstream medicine) they put patients on morphine with the knowledge that it will make them die sooner. It really is a form of euthanasia.
Once Hospice becomes involved, they are there to expedite the death of the patient. The first thing they do is prescribe Hydromorphone, a synthetic type of morphine. A friend of mine took some, thinking it was morphine, he said that it was not a pleasant experience and would never do it again.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter

Thank you.

Opioids are known to increase histamine and serotonin and also activate the TLR4 (endotoxin) receptor. So yes, they very much speed up tumor growth but if the patient is declared terminal they do not care if the patient dies faster, but only worry about pain control.
"...Opiates are still commonly used for pain relief in cancer patients, despite the evidence that has accumulated for several decades indicating that they promote inflammation and cancer growth, while suppressing immunity and causing tissue catabolism, exacerbating the wasting that commonly occurs with cancer. Their use, rather than alternatives such as procaine, aspirin, and progesterone, is nothing but a medical fetish."

Ironically, chronic opioid use sensitizes people to pain (through the TLR4 receptor) and if the patient does not die within a few months they will stop responding to the original opioid dosage and as such higher and higher doses would be needed to control their pain, which greatly accelerates their demise and probably eventually directly kills them (instead of them dying from their underlying disease, cancer or otherwise).

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
When my father was at the end (cancer) he was given morphine and it felt so strange to watch it all. It was like dulling him into some strange zombie state before he passed. Morphine is like heroin, very toxic really, Peat wrote and spoke about this a lot. Is there really no better option?
Was the same thing for my friends mother, she became very tired and lost her lucidity. Which I guess could have been caused by the brain tumor but from what has been posted here it looks like morphine and opioids accelerate tumour growth.

OP
Soren

Soren

Forum Supporter
Opioids are known to increase histamine and serotonin and also activate the TLR4 (endotoxin) receptor. So yes, they very much speed up tumor growth but if the patient is declared terminal they do not care if the patient dies faster, but only worry about pain control.
Yep that was what I thought.

"...Opiates are still commonly used for pain relief in cancer patients, despite the evidence that has accumulated for several decades indicating that they promote inflammation and cancer growth, while suppressing immunity and causing tissue catabolism, exacerbating the wasting that commonly occurs with cancer. Their use, rather than alternatives such as procaine, aspirin, and progesterone, is nothing but a medical fetish."

Ironically, chronic opioid use sensitizes people to pain (through the TLR4 receptor) and if the patient does not die within a few months they will stop responding to the original opioid dosage and as such higher and higher doses would be needed to control their pain, which greatly accelerates their demise and probably eventually directly kills them (instead of them dying from their underlying disease, cancer or otherwise).

Thank you for sharing this through my own research and experience helping a few people get off opioids some of the most powerful tools had been antihistamines such as cyproheptadine. The studies you shared in some of your posts Haidut that opioids could increase pain through TLR4 where actually part of my guidance for this but I was not sure if there may be some difference between "standard morphine" and the newer opioids.

My mom was given it as a pain killer. She didn't have cancer. She would just pick it up as a normal prescrition!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals