"Pollution of the environment and food supply by estrogenic chemicals is getting increased attention. Early in the study of estrogens, it was noticed that soot, containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, was both estrogenic and carcinogenic. Since then, it has been found that phenolics and chlorinated hydrocarbons are significantly estrogenic, and that many estrogenic herbicides, pesticides, and industrial by-products persist in the environment, causing infertility, deformed reproductive organs, tumors, and other biological defects, including immunodeficiency. In the Columbia River, a recent study found that about 25% of the otters and muskrats were anatomically deformed. Estrogenic pollution kills birds, panthers, alligators, old men, young women, fish, seals, babies, and ecosystems. Some of these chemicals are sprayed on forests by the US Department of Agriculture, where they enter lakes, underwater aquifers, rivers, and oceans. Private businesses spray them on farms and orchards, or put them into the air as smoke or vapors, or dump them directly into rivers. Homeowners put them on their lawns and gardens."- Ray Peat

I hear so often people mocking organics, especially older people. They "never bought them before and have lived this long", so how silly they think it is to spend the extra money now. I understand people not being able to afford the extra grocery bill, but nowadays it is the difference between good health and bad health.

Being health conscience many years ago, I thought I was doing better than most, getting my produce weekly at my local Farmer's Market. Oh man those strawberries were SO sweet and juicy, until one day my girlfriend told me everything wasn't as it seemed.

She was buying test strips to make sure her produce wasn't toxic. She would wash her produce with her food grade soap, and then test the water for toxic chemicals with the strips. When the water is clean then so should be the produce. My friend brought home those town's best strawberries from the Farmer Market and went about washing and testing them. Never would she imagine that they were beyond toxic. She had never had produce test that high! She washed and tested again and the water still tested high. After a couple more washings, that were not making a difference, she threw them all away! The thing about some produce, like strawberries, is that the pesticide doesn't stay on just the outside where you can wash or peel it off, the poisons permiates the entire fruit or vegetable all the way through. All produce is not that bad, but strawberries consistently test as being the worst every year, with some samples having 50 different pesticides on just one strawberry! I have recently read that strawberries have gotten better though with only 20 pesticides on each one this year!

With this information the only way to make sense as to why people don't buy organics is because they don't know or they don't care. The good news is some produce is heavily sprayed and some are not sprayed at all, depending on the pests and the fruit's natural protection. Fruits with thick tough skin, like tropical fruits, don't have many or any insects that bother them so it isn't money needing to be spent buying those organic. Every year there is an updated list made by those who care about our produce and how it is treated, called "The Dirty Dozen". It lists, from the worst on down, the 12 most toxic fruits and vegetables that year. Those 12 on the list should always be bought organic. The other list is called "The Clean 15", and has the least amount of pesticides and can afford to be purchased non-organic. Everything else not on the list is somewhere in between.

Some people will read what I am writing and already know all this. Some will be better moving forward reading this. Then there will be those who will still find the risk worth the reward, of saving some money. The ones who wonder why they continue getting fatter and sicker, and to those I say, "I would rather eat half as much healthy stuff than twice as much bad stuff."

equipoise

Yeah berries are easily worst offenders here. I just avoid them, even though there's hardly anything better than strawberries with cream and sugar.
Honeydew melons and watermelons are my best friend this summer

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah berries are easily worst offenders here. I just avoid them, even though there's hardly anything better than strawberries with cream and sugar.
Honeydew melons and watermelons are my best friend this summer
I love a good watermelon, but they are hard to find :/

akgrrrl

"Pollution of the environment and food supply by estrogenic chemicals is getting increased attention. Early in the study of estrogens, it was noticed that soot, containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, was both estrogenic and carcinogenic. Since then, it has been found that phenolics and chlorinated hydrocarbons are significantly estrogenic, and that many estrogenic herbicides, pesticides, and industrial by-products persist in the environment, causing infertility, deformed reproductive organs, tumors, and other biological defects, including immunodeficiency. In the Columbia River, a recent study found that about 25% of the otters and muskrats were anatomically deformed. Estrogenic pollution kills birds, panthers, alligators, old men, young women, fish, seals, babies, and ecosystems. Some of these chemicals are sprayed on forests by the US Department of Agriculture, where they enter lakes, underwater aquifers, rivers, and oceans. Private businesses spray them on farms and orchards, or put them into the air as smoke or vapors, or dump them directly into rivers. Homeowners put them on their lawns and gardens."- Ray Peat

I hear so often people mocking organics, especially older people. They "never bought them before and have lived this long", so how silly they think it is to spend the extra money now. I understand people not being able to afford the extra grocery bill, but nowadays it is the difference between good health and bad health.

Being health conscience many years ago, I thought I was doing better than most, getting my produce weekly at my local Farmer's Market. Oh man those strawberries were SO sweet and juicy, until one day my girlfriend told me everything wasn't as it seemed.

She was buying test strips to make sure her produce wasn't toxic. She would wash her produce with her food grade soap, and then test the water for toxic chemicals with the strips. When the water is clean then so should be the produce. My friend brought home those town's best strawberries from the Farmer Market and went about washing and testing them. Never would she imagine that they were beyond toxic. She had never had produce test that high! She washed and tested again and the water still tested high. After a couple more washings, that were not making a difference, she threw them all away! The thing about some produce, like strawberries, is that the pesticide doesn't stay on just the outside where you can wash or peel it off, the poisons permiates the entire fruit or vegetable all the way through. All produce is not that bad, but strawberries consistently test as being the worst every year, with some samples having 50 different pesticides on just one strawberry! I have recently read that strawberries have gotten better though with only 20 pesticides on each one this year!

With this information the only way to make sense as to why people don't buy organics is because they don't know or they don't care. The good news is some produce is heavily sprayed and some are not sprayed at all, depending on the pests and the fruit's natural protection. Fruits with thick tough skin, like tropical fruits, don't have many or any insects that bother them so it isn't money needing to be spent buying those organic. Every year there is an updated list made by those who care about our produce and how it is treated, called "The Dirty Dozen". It lists, from the worst on down, the 12 most toxic fruits and vegetables that year. Those 12 on the list should always be bought organic. The other list is called "The Clean 15", and has the least amount of pesticides and can afford to be purchased non-organic. Everything else not on the list is somewhere in between.

Some people will read what I am writing and already know all this. Some will be better moving forward reading this. Then there will be those who will still find the risk worth the reward, of saving some money. The ones who wonder why they continue getting fatter and sicker, and to those I say, "I would rather eat half as much healthy stuff than twice as much bad stuff."

So good that info like this is posted for those who dont know yet. Cherry and berry picking in August Sept is my fave time of year. One 5gal bucket of blueberries goes a long way over a winter.

Attachments

• 20200817_180255.jpg
    20200817_180255.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190825_122315.jpg
    20190825_122315.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
Rinse & rePeat
So good that info like this is posted for those who dont know yet. Cherry and berry picking in August Sept is my fave time of year. One 5gal bucket of blueberries goes a long way over a winter.
Those look yummy akgrrrl! You gotta be sure the farm you are picking them from is organic. I had never thought of that before my raspberry picking day. I found out recently, that because our apple picking season gets unable to keep up with the tourists, they have to truck in apples from elsewhere. So if you aren't picking them right off the tree yourself you don't know where they came from buying them in their cute little general stores and stands.

akgrrrl

Those look yummy akgrrrl! You gotta be sure the farm you are picking them from is organic. I had never thought of that before my raspberry picking day. I found out recently, that because our apple picking season gets unable to keep up with the tourists, they have to truck in apples from elsewhere. So if you aren't picking them right off the tree yourself you don't know where they came from buying them in their cute little general stores and stands.
Oh I never thought of that, since that doesnt exist here. All our berries are wild.

David90

@Rinse & rePeat

I Know the Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen List. I Discovered it a few years ago. Apples, Potatoes & Strawberries are the ones with the Most Pesticides in the last few Years. Also i would be cautious with Pears and Nectarines. Better to buy them Organic, if Possible.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh I never thought of that, since that doesnt exist here. All our berries are wild.
You're so lucky! I lived in northern California in my teens, where there were lots of wild blackberries in the summer. NEVER have I ever tasted a store bought berry that comes anywhere close to those I use to pick!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat

I Know the Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen List. I Discovered it a few years ago. Apples, Potatoes & Strawberries are the ones with the Most Pesticides in the last few Years. Also i would be cautious with Pears and Nectarines. Better to buy them Organic, if Possible.

I buy everthing organic except the clean 15 list. I had a friend who didn't buy organics. Her daughter had problems eating strawberries and oranges, and would break out iin painful mouth sores eating those two. I suggested that it may be the pesticides that were causing her trouble and not an allergy. She decided to try my organic strawberries and nothing happened. From then on her mom buys organic strawberries and there has never been a problem since.

David90

I buy everthing organic except the clean 15 list. I had a friend who didn't buy organics. Her daughter had problems eating strawberries and oranges, and would break out iin painful mouth sores eating those two. I suggested that it may be the pesticides that were causing her trouble and not an allergy. She decided to try my organic strawberries and nothing happened. From then on her mom buys organic strawberries and there has never been a problem since.
Interesting. It could really be the Pesticides, doing this Kind of Trouble.

I Buy only Organic, if it's a Fruit or Vegetable that is higher on the Dirty Dozen List (like Strawberries, Peaches, Nectarines and so forth)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah I wonder how many people on the site that are haveing trouble with fruit may not, and maybe it is the pesticides instead that are the culprit, including juices. That is why I thought it was important to cover this subject.

David90

Yeah I wonder how many people on the site that are haveing trouble with fruit may not, and maybe it is the pesticides instead that are the culprit, including juices. That is why I thought it was important to cover this subject.
Yes it is certainly overlooked. At least it can't hurt to check out the List every Year and buying (certain Fruits and Veggies) Organic

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes it is certainly overlooked. At least it can't hurt to check out the List every Year and buying (certain Fruits and Veggies) Organic
Right?! Like the Seafood Watch list, it changes every year according to the weather, pests and other farming problems.

David90

Right?! Like the Seafood Watch list, it changes every year according to the weather, pests and other farming problems.
Interesting. I haven't looked into the Seafood Watch List yet. Will do it on the Weekend though. Although i'm not a Big Fish Eater (exceptions for Shrimps)

Missenger

Interesting. I haven't looked into the Seafood Watch List yet. Will do it on the Weekend though. Although i'm not a Big Fish Eater (exceptions for Shrimps)
A lot of it is just for sustainable catching just skimming through it, not much about the health of the catch.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
A lot of it is just for sustainable catching just skimming through it, not much about the health of the catch.

They Monterey Bay Seafood Watch does talk a lot about sustainability, I like to look at their "Avoid Lists" and see what exactly the problems are. The avoidance recommendation can be from over fishing or health reasons. There are many other government and local lists which are more to the point of toxins, parasites amd heavy metals. Here are a couple I screenshot for you :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-123922_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-123922_Drive.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210624_124130.jpg
    20210624_124130.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 36

akgrrrl

Remember that nearly all "sustainable" fishing is regulated by a federal agency in the end. Which may or not be sustainable.
The amazing Kenai river was offering 90pound King salmon 20 years ago, but now the returns are very small and the genetics of the big ones are gone. Limit one fish per person.
Look up images Les Anderson King salmon

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Remember that nearly all "sustainable" fishing is regulated by a federal agency in the end. Which may or not be sustainable.
The amazing Kenai river was offering 90pound King salmon 20 years ago, but now the returns are very small and the genetics of the big ones are gone. Limit one fish per person.
Look up images Les Anderson King salmon
Lucky I don't eat yucky PUFA salmon ? I tam more interested in wild seafood from "less" polluted waters, which is getting harder and harder to find. Seafood is hardly healthy anymore. Thank goodness for Ray Peat grass fed milk, especially if you can get it raw. I love how he says the cow filters out all of the toxins for us ?

Missenger

I was figuring that people here just stuck to wild caught clams/oysters/shrimp/scallops instead of playing russian roulette with mercury and histamine poisoning.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals