Must Read, Killing Cancer Cells Using Electric Potential, DMSO, Methylene Blue

Obi-wan

@Obi-wan Please be careful btw with the potassium ascorbate and any other potassium. Use really tiny doses, small pinches.
I am interested in your why. I tried it a few times and not sure if I like it. Probably will go back to just ACV/BS

Obi-wan

I was thinking about that earlier, but after seeing those association constants I got into thinking that the complex was a bit more stable than I had originally thought. Nonetheless, I now have the suspicion that Na⁺/K⁺–acetate would be dissociated in the stomach upon being protonated—acetic acid has no affinity for cations—yet could could actually recombine in the duodenum as pH returns to neutral.

I am really interested in this, and look forward to reading more on how the Na⁺∶K⁺ effects the plasma membrane potential.
Yes Travis, would love to hear more from you on this subject. This “Physiologically, SA is converted to acetyl-coA and processed through the Krebs cycle, producing CO2 and later bicarbonate via carbonic anhydrase.” is huge!

Last edited:

Travis

Yes Travis, would love to hear more from you on this subject. This “Physiologically, SA is converted to acetyl-coA and processed through the Krebs cycle, producing CO2 and later bicarbonate via carbonic anhydrase.” is huge!

Biotin really is a cofactor for some CO₂-releasing—or decarboxylase—enzymes, despite the fact that Ronald Breslow was obviously smoking something good when confabulating biotin's exact mechanism. Regardless, biotin indisputably works to increase energy production vis-à-vis sugar metabolism—and this is one of the 'safer' B-vitamins.

Not only is carbonic anhydrase useful for CO₂ ⟶ CO₃²⁻ oxidoreduction, is often used heuristically to demonstrate the speed in which some enzymes can operate (Vmax ≈ 10⁶).

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I am interested in your why. I tried it a few times and not sure if I like it. Probably will go back to just ACV/BS
Taking too much potassium at once (which is a small amount already) could bring in too much potassium in a concentrated form at once in the bloodstream which could upset the electrolytes balance causing imbalance which can lead to arrhythmia. Electrolytes imbalance and arrhythmia are dangerous.

I'm not sure if the ascorbate molecule is stable etc and just as good as acetate in the health effects we're trying to reach. The product you're using might be a bad product too, I've read that in some chelated products they just put in magnesium oxide + glycine for example instead of an actual chelation. See for yourself if it's good or not.

I still think sodium acetate + potassium acetate + potassium bicarbonate is good, but the high potassium at once is something you always gotta watch out with so perhaps sodium bicarbonate is still better.

Last edited:
OP
T

TreasureVibe

Hmmm... You should see this @Obi-wan, @Travis, I wonder if this is true:

Hormone Balance
Hormone imbalances can occur at nearly any age. Normal pathway for estrogen production starts with compounds, called acetates. Acetates convert to progesterone, which then forms in to estrogens. Though progesterone also antagonizes estrogens to help maintain proper hormone balance. Estrogen converts in to testosterone. When estrogen takes this pathway for production a woman is progesterone dominant, and the hormones are in proper balance. The alternate pathway for estrogen production is from acetates to the adrenal hormone DHEA, then in to estrogen. In this case the production of sufficient levels of progesterone is being bypassed creating a condition known as estrogen dominance. Symptoms of estrogen dominance include endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts, weight gain, thyroid suppression, depression, lack of libido, insomnia, and an increase of facial hair from the excess testosterone formed from the unopposed estrogen. External hormone sources can aggravate these problems such as birth control pills, estrogen replacement therapy, estrogens found in farm raised meats, and xenoestrogens (dioxins, DDT, PCBs, etc). The best ways to balance the hormones is to limit exposure to estrogens, increase progesterone levels to regulate estrogen, and to antagonize estrogens produced by the body or external hormone sources. Here are some methods for maintaining proper hormone balance:

Source with full article: Alt/Trad Medical Review

And this:

The Benefits of Stomach Acid
Stomach acid is present to:

1. Help protect the body from pathogens that would otherwise enter through the digestive system. Many pathogenic bacteria, such as E. coli and H. pylori THRIVE in an alkaline environment. This is why E. coli lives in the alkaline environment of the intestines and H. pylori secretes ammonia to neutralize stomach acid to protect itself. Reducing stomach acid just makes it that much easier for these pathogens to set up shop in the body where they DO NOT belong.
Full article: Alt/Trad Medical Review

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Hmmm... You should see this @Obi-wan, @Travis, I wonder if this is true:

Hormone Balance
Hormone imbalances can occur at nearly any age. Normal pathway for estrogen production starts with compounds, called acetates. Acetates convert to progesterone, which then forms in to estrogens. Though progesterone also antagonizes estrogens to help maintain proper hormone balance. Estrogen converts in to testosterone. When estrogen takes this pathway for production a woman is progesterone dominant, and the hormones are in proper balance. The alternate pathway for estrogen production is from acetates to the adrenal hormone DHEA, then in to estrogen. In this case the production of sufficient levels of progesterone is being bypassed creating a condition known as estrogen dominance. Symptoms of estrogen dominance include endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts, weight gain, thyroid suppression, depression, lack of libido, insomnia, and an increase of facial hair from the excess testosterone formed from the unopposed estrogen. External hormone sources can aggravate these problems such as birth control pills, estrogen replacement therapy, estrogens found in farm raised meats, and xenoestrogens (dioxins, DDT, PCBs, etc). The best ways to balance the hormones is to limit exposure to estrogens, increase progesterone levels to regulate estrogen, and to antagonize estrogens produced by the body or external hormone sources. Here are some methods for maintaining proper hormone balance:

Source with full article: Alt/Trad Medical Review

And this:

The Benefits of Stomach Acid
Stomach acid is present to:

1. Help protect the body from pathogens that would otherwise enter through the digestive system. Many pathogenic bacteria, such as E. coli and H. pylori THRIVE in an alkaline environment. This is why E. coli lives in the alkaline environment of the intestines and H. pylori secretes ammonia to neutralize stomach acid to protect itself. Reducing stomach acid just makes it that much easier for these pathogens to set up shop in the body where they DO NOT belong.
Full article: Alt/Trad Medical Review
Progesterone does NOT form into estrogen and estrogen does NOT form into testosterone. LH makes testosterone and progesterone. FSH makes aroma tase. Aromatase converts testosterone into estrogen. In my case Firmagon blocks LH and FSH. I take USP Progesterone since estrogen is still in the tissues

Obi-wan

Wikipedia:

Gastric acid is one of the main secretions of the stomach. It consists mainly of hydrochloric acid and acidifies the stomach content to a pH of 1 to 2.[37][38]

Chloride (Cl−) and hydrogen (H+) ions are secreted separately in the stomach fundusregion at the top of the stomach by parietal cells of the gastric mucosa into a secretory network called canaliculi before it enters the stomach lumen.[39]

Gastric acid acts as a barrier against microorganisms to prevent infections and is important for the digestion of food. Its low pH denatures proteins and thereby makes them susceptible to degradation by digestive enzymes such as pepsin. The low pH also activates the enzyme precursor pepsinogeninto the active enzyme pepsin by self-cleavage. After leaving the stomach, the hydrochloric acid of the chyme is neutralized in the duodenum by sodium bicarbonate.[37]

The stomach itself is protected from the strong acid by the secretion of a thick mucus layer, and by secretin induced buffering with sodium bicarbonate.

Taking ACV/BS between meals should be fine. Note how Sodium Bicarbonate is already in the picture...as protective...

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Wikipedia- The release of histamine is the most important positive regulation mechanism of the secretion of gastric acid in the stomach. So much for antihistamine’s...older people have allergy’s, they take antihistamine’s. Older people have heart burn, they take anti acid meds...PUFA causes heartburn...

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Wikipedia-

Apple cider vinegar
is a vinegar made from apples, sugar and yeast.[1]

ACV is used in salad dressings, marinades, vinaigrettes, food preservatives, and chutneys. It is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentationprocess, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetobacter). Acetic acid and malic acid give vinegar its sour taste.

Acetobacter is a genus of acetic acid bacteria. Acetic acid bacteria are characterized by the ability to convert ethanol to acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. Of these, the genus Acetobacter is distinguished by the ability to oxidize lactate and acetate into carbon dioxideand water.[

B

Braveheart

Wikipedia-

Apple cider vinegar
is a vinegar made from apples, sugar and yeast.[1]

ACV is used in salad dressings, marinades, vinaigrettes, food preservatives, and chutneys. It is made by crushing apples and squeezing out the liquid. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid to start the alcoholic fermentationprocess, and the sugars are turned into alcohol. In a second fermentation process, the alcohol is converted into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria (acetobacter). Acetic acid and malic acid give vinegar its sour taste.

Acetobacter is a genus of acetic acid bacteria. Acetic acid bacteria are characterized by the ability to convert ethanol to acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. Of these, the genus Acetobacter is distinguished by the ability to oxidize lactate and acetate into carbon dioxideand water.[
where is your signature?...you would most likely have a very clever one.....just click on your name top of site and go to your personal preference page...

Obi-wan

where is your signature?...you would most likely have a very clever one.....just click on your name top of site and go to your personal preference page...
Gotta think about that one...

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Progesterone does NOT form into estrogen and estrogen does NOT form into testosterone. LH makes testosterone and progesterone. FSH makes aroma tase. Aromatase converts testosterone into estrogen. In my case Firmagon blocks LH and FSH. I take USP Progesterone since estrogen is still in the tissues
What about the adrenal glands? Those are something the author of that quote refers to alot in his writings. They produce hormones like progesterone, testosterone and estrogen too as far as my knowledge goes. Are they regulated by LH and FSH?

That's positive, if these bacteria don't cause endotoxin/pathogens to thrive. I'm having a hard time trusting bacteria these days since I've learned about the works of Peat.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Earlier in this topic I spoke of baking soda theoretically potentiating other medicinal agents like antibiotics because it allows entry to the cancer cells. Now I've come across this study from a topic that actually confirms that baking soda makes antibiotics much more effective, check it out:

Baking Soda Dramatically Increases Antibiotic Effectiveness, Could Help In Sepsis

Basically you could say that cancer is a metabolic deficiency, immune deficiency, and/or cell level metabolic deficiency and/or immune deficiency. Even if all cells except for 1 have proper immune system support and metabolic support, that one cell can still become a cancer cell.

If 1 cell is immunodeficient and/or metabolically deficient, it can become a cancer cell. Reasons for it becoming this can be exposure to toxins, where it requires to spend alot of cell nutrients in order to stay alive and/or to defend the rest of the cells around it.

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Earlier in this topic I spoke of baking soda theoretically potentiating other medicinal agents like antibiotics because it allows entry to the cancer cells. Now I've come across this study from a topic that actually confirms that baking soda makes antibiotics much more effective, check it out:

Baking Soda Dramatically Increases Antibiotic Effectiveness, Could Help In Sepsis

Basically you could say that cancer is a metabolic deficiency, immune deficiency, and/or cell level metabolic deficiency and/or immune deficiency. Even if all cells except for 1 have proper immune system support and metabolic support, that one cell can still become a cancer cell.

If 1 cell is immunodeficient and/or metabolically deficient, it can become a cancer cell. Reasons for it becoming this can be exposure to toxins, where it requires to spend alot of cell nutrients in order to stay alive and/or to defend the rest of the cells around it.
Cancer is a metabolic defect...

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Something that I thought of: Cancer craves (among more) glucose. Potassium is toxic to cancer cells. Is potassium gluconate helpful? I think Ted mentioned it too.

"A glucose trojan horse may also kill cancer cells that way, such as an "oxidized form" of glucose, such as gluconate. For instance, potassium gluconate, is one. " - Ted

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Something that I thought of: Cancer craves (among more) glucose. Potassium is toxic to cancer cells. Is potassium gluconate helpful? I think Ted mentioned it too.

"A glucose trojan horse may also kill cancer cells that way, such as an "oxidized form" of glucose, such as gluconate. For instance, potassium gluconate, is one. " - Ted

But pathogens must be involved, because they block the oncogenes that are supposed to induce apoptosis, supposedly.
Cancer metabolism is stress metabolism is a defect in the electron transport chain...

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Cancer is a metabolic defect...
But pathogens must be involved, because they block the tumor suppressing genes that are supposed to induce apoptosis, supposedly.

See:

300437_orig.png

Check this website and press the white button in the upper left corner for more information:
PSYCHO-ONCOLOGY: HOW CHRONIC STRESS CAUSES CANCER OVER 6 PHASES
Also look at the schematic that's made, showing the steps of how cancer presumably develops.
Not condoning that website's information but it can come in handy.

Btw check this out on ketone supplementation:
Ketone supplementation decreases tumor cell viability and prolongs survival of mice with metastatic cancer
How I Used Ketone Bodies to Help Reverse My Brain Cancer | The Truth About Cancer
How the Ketogenic Diet Weakens Cancer Cells
Tumor Cells Growth and Survival Time with the Ketogenic Diet in Animal Models: A Systematic Review

However there are sceptics and it might be bad in some cancers: Ketogenic Diet For Cancer? Dr. Gonzalez Dismantles The Diet

Not sure if it works or is helpful, but it sure is interesting.

Last edited:

Obi-wan

"A glucose trojan horse may also kill cancer cells that way, such as an "oxidized form" of glucose, such as gluconate. For instance, potassium gluconate, is one. " - Ted[/QUOTE

Estrogen turns off the P53 gene that causes apoptosis. Progesterone turns it on...

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Mycotoxins are found in a large percentage of cancers due to the fact that they are known to cause cancer in animals by the displacement of DNA base pairs. There environmental fungal control is essential to protect the environment from high levels of mycotoxins. Humidity control of less than 50%, control of any cause of moisture intrusion, removal of everything that got wet, treating surfaces with a good non-toxic antifungal that will remove the mycotoxins.

Making the Connection Between Cancer and Mold Mycotoxins - Sinusitis Wellness

Study: Mycotoxins and human disease: a largely ignored global health issue

https://www.beatcancer.org/blog-posts/mycotoxins-that-can-affect-your-cancer-risk
Mycotoxins
http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/causes6.html
The Role of Mycotoxins in Cancer | Houston Wellness Clinic
http://www.knowthecause.com/index.php/doug-s-blog/342-cancer-and-fungus
http://www.who.int/bulletin/archives/77(9)754.pdf
Mycotoxin - Wikipedia

Aflatoxins are a type of mycotoxin produced by Aspergillus species of fungi, such as A. flavus and A. parasiticus.[9] The umbrella term aflatoxin refers to four different types of mycotoxins produced, which are B1, B2, G1, and G2.[10] Aflatoxin B1, the most toxic, is a potent carcinogen and has been directly correlated to adverse health effects, such as liver cancer, in many animal species.[9] Aflatoxins are largely associated with commodities produced in the tropics and subtropics, such as cotton, peanuts, spices, pistachios, and maize.[9][10]

Ochratoxin is a mycotoxin that comes in three secondary metabolite forms, A, B, and C. All are produced by Penicillium and Aspergillus species. The three forms differ in that Ochratoxin B (OTB) is a nonchlorinated form of Ochratoxin A (OTA) and that Ochratoxin C (OTC) is an ethyl ester form Ochratoxin A.[11] Aspergillus ochraceus is found as a contaminant of a wide range of commodities including beverages such as beer and wine. Aspergillus carbonarius is the main species found on vine fruit, which releases its toxin during the juice making process.[12] OTA has been labeled as a carcinogen and a nephrotoxin, and has been linked to tumors in the human urinary tract, although research in humans is limited by confounding factors.[11][12]

Citrinin is a toxin that was first isolated from Penicillium citrinum, but has been identified in over a dozen species of Penicillium and several species of Aspergillus. Some of these species are used to produce human foodstuffs such as cheese (Penicillium camemberti), sake, miso, and soy sauce (Aspergillus oryzae). Citrinin is associated with yellowed rice disease in Japan and acts as a nephrotoxin in all animal species tested.[13]Although it is associated with many human foods (wheat, rice, corn, barley, oats, rye, and food colored with Monascus pigment) its full significance for human health is unknown. Citrinin can also act synergistically with Ochratoxin A to depress RNA synthesis in murine kidneys.[14]
-
Patulin is a toxin produced by the P. expansum, Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Paecilomyces fungal species. P. expansum is especially associated with a range of moldy fruits and vegetables, in particular rotting apples and figs.[15][16] It is destroyed by the fermentation process and so is not found in apple beverages, such as cider. Although patulin has not been shown to be carcinogenic, it has been reported to damage the immune system in animals.[15] In 2004, the European Community set limits to the concentrations of patulin in food products. They currently stand at 50 μg/kg in all fruit juice concentrations, at 25 μg/kg in solid apple products used for direct consumption, and at 10 μg/kg for children's apple products, including apple juice.[15][16]

Fusarium toxins are produced by over 50 species of Fusarium and have a history of infecting the grain of developing cereals such as wheat and maize.[17][18] They include a range of mycotoxins, such as: the fumonisins, which affect the nervous systems of horses and may cause cancer in rodents; the trichothecenes, which are most strongly associated with chronic and fatal toxic effects in animals and humans; and
-

In food
Mycotoxins can appear in the food chain as a result of fungal infection of crops, either by being eaten directly by humans or by being used as livestock feed.

In 2004 in Kenya, 125 people died and nearly 200 others were treated after eating aflatoxin-contaminated maize.[27] The deaths were mainly associated with homegrown maize that had not been treated with fungicides or properly dried before storage. Due to food shortages at the time, farmers may have been harvesting maize earlier than normal to prevent thefts from their fields, so that the grain had not fully matured and was more susceptible to infection.

Spices are susceptible substrate for growth of mycotoxigenic fungi and mycotoxin production.[28] Red chilli, black pepper, and dry ginger were found to be the most contaminated spices.[28]

In animal food
There were outbreaks of dog food containing aflatoxin in North America in late 2005 and early 2006,[29] and again in late 2011.[30]

Mycotoxins in animal fodder, particularly silage, can decrease the performance of farm animals and potentially kill them.[31] Several mycotoxins reduce milk yield when ingested by dairy cattle.[31]

In dietary supplements
Contamination of medicinal plants with mycotoxins can contribute to adverse human health problems and therefore represents a special hazard.[32][33] Numerous natural occurrences of mycotoxins in medicinal plants and herbal medicines have been reported from various countries including Spain, China, Germany, India, Turkey and from the Middle East.[32] In a 2015 analysis of plant-based dietary supplements, the highest mycotoxin concentrations were found in milk thistle-based supplements, at up to 37 mg/kg.[34]

Source: Mycotoxin - Wikipedia

Mycotoxins do cause cancer..

https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fasebj.30.1_supplement.1167.2

Metabolic effects of exogenous ketone supplementation – an alternative or adjuvant to the ketogenic diet as a cancer therapy?
Published 1 april 2016
Abstract
Cancers exhibit an abnormal metabolism characterized by increased glucose consumption. Studies suggest that unlike healthy tissues, cancer cells are unable to efficiently utilize ketones for energy, a vulnerability exploited by a potential new therapy, the high fat low carbohydrate ketogenic diet (KD). To improve clinical feasibility, we developed a line of ketone supplements (KS) which induce nutritional ketosis in a dose-dependent fashion regardless of dietary carbohydrate intake. We previously showed that KS inhibits proliferation and viability in vitro and are as effective as the KD in slowing tumor growth and prolonging survival in the VM-M3 model of metastatic cancer. Thus, we sought to further characterize the metabolic effects, safety, and practicality of KS. Healthy rats were administered KS by oral gavage or in their food for 1–4 months. KS rapidly elevated blood ketones to therapeutic levels (2–5mM), and simultaneously decreased blood glucose by 20%. KS altered a number of metabolic pathways which may contribute to its anti-cancer effects. Markers of both oxidative stress (oxidized glutathione) and antioxidant capacity (carnosine and anserine) were elevated by KS. Carnosine, which was nearly 4-fold higher in KS-treated rats, inhibits anaerobic glycolysis, slows tumor growth and metastasis, and increases survival in cancer models. Several (14) lysophospholipids, which are elevated in the blood of cancer patients and shown to induce tumorigenesis and metastasis in vivo, were decreased by KS. Inflammatory profiling revealed decreases in many pro-inflammatory cytokines, including IL-1β, IL-6, IFN-γ, MCP-1, and RANTES. KS appears safe as there were no signs of toxicity or adverse changes in total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, or markers of liver/kidney function over the chronic treatment protocol. KS may be a useful alternative or adjuvant to the KD as a novel, potential cancer therapy.
Not sure on ketogenic diet but the fact that cancer cells crave fatty acids which the body uses in ketosis to convert to ketones, is interesting.
See: Ketosis - Wikipedia

Ketosis is a metabolic state in which some of the body's energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose provides energy. Generally, ketosis occurs when the body is metabolizing fat at a high rate and converting fatty acids into ketones.

Is this the reason cancer craves fatty acids/fats?

See this though:
Ketones And Lactate Fuel Tumor Growth And Metastasis

This article has PhD doctors refuting the study above: Do Ketones Fuel Cancer? The Low-Carb Experts Respond « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Blog

Dr. EUGENE FINE, cancer researcher at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

I haven’t read the Lesanti article in any detail yet, but I see he is studying only one cancer type. Some cancers may indeed depend on ketone bodies. Our hypothesis, in fact states that some cancers may be adapted to the effects of carb
restriction, including ketosis (i.e. may continue to grow), and others may be vulnerable to ketosis. I do have evidence that many cancers are inhibited by ketone bodies.

Summary: Cancers aren’t simple and generalizations are usually wrong.

Also interesting, from the comments of that last article:

J Clin Invest. 2008 Dec;118(12):3930-42. doi: 10.1172/JCI36843. Epub 2008 Nov 20.
Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice.
Sonveaux P1, Végran F, Schroeder T, Wergin MC, Verrax J, Rabbani ZN, De Saedeleer CJ, Kennedy KM, Diepart C, Jordan BF, Kelley MJ, Gallez B, Wahl ML, Feron O, Dewhirst MW.
Author information

Abstract
Tumors contain oxygenated and hypoxic regions, so the tumor cell population is heterogeneous. Hypoxic tumor cells primarily use glucose for glycolytic energy production and release lactic acid, creating a lactate gradient that mirrors the oxygen gradient in the tumor. By contrast, oxygenated tumor cells have been thought to primarily use glucose for oxidative energy production. Although lactate is generally considered a waste product, we now show that it is a prominent substrate that fuels the oxidative metabolism of oxygenated tumor cells. There is therefore a symbiosis in which glycolytic and oxidative tumor cells mutually regulate their access to energy metabolites. We identified monocarboxylate transporter 1 (MCT1) as the prominent path for lactate uptake by a human cervix squamous carcinoma cell line that preferentially utilized lactate for oxidative metabolism. Inhibiting MCT1 with alpha-cyano-4-hydroxycinnamate (CHC) or siRNA in these cells induced a switch from lactate-fueled respiration to glycolysis. A similar switch from lactate-fueled respiration to glycolysis by oxygenated tumor cells in both a mouse model of lung carcinoma and xenotransplanted human colorectal adenocarcinoma cells was observed after administration of CHC. This retarded tumor growth, as the hypoxic/glycolytic tumor cells died from glucose starvation, and rendered the remaining cells sensitive to irradiation. As MCT1 was found to be expressed by an array of primary human tumors, we suggest that MCT1 inhibition has clinical antitumor potential.

Source: Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Just another two-pennyworth:

This paper came out a couple of years ago:

Targeting lactate-fueled respiration selectively kills hypoxic tumor cells in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

I found it fascinating.

Hyperlipid: Glucose, lactate and cancer

What evidence I could find suggests that ketone bodies actually block lactate metabolism, under physiological conditions, in rat brain at least.

Regulation of glucose and ketone-body metabolism in brain of anaesthetized rats. - PubMed - NCBI

It seems plausible that a massive supraphysiological dose of ketones might replace lactate as a fuel for lactate adapted cancer cells in the aerobic areas of tumours, after all they do transport on the same MCTs. But then we’re simply guessing about what is happening in a very third rate study that has relatively little to do with the physiology of ketone production……. I would be very cautious to generalise this study to intact humans.

Peter

Also from the comment section of that last article:

• kevin
    March 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm
    Dr ‘Snuffy’ Myers is a urologist-oncologist who produces short videos to answer questions posed by patients. Someone asked about low carb diets and prostate cancer. His reply was that studies showed poorer regression in tumor size in patients eating low carb diets, compared with those on higher carb diets.

• Ted Hutchinson
    March 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm
    @ Kevin
    Well whatever Snuffy says
    in this mouse research
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pros.20683/abstract
    84% fat–0% carbohydrate–16% protein kcal-fed mice had significantly reduced tumor growth and prolonged survival relative to Western diet mice and was associated with favorable changes in serum insulin and IGF axis hormones relative to low-fat or Western diet.
    Prostate 68: 11–19, 2008. © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
    I’m of an age when my mates are all talking about prostate problems so it’s important to me I make the right choices.

Again in
    “Dietary intervention strategies to modulate prostate cancer risk and prognosis” Freeland states “low-carbohydrate diets significantly slow tumor growth independent of weight loss”

So I’m sure you’ll not be surprised I’m sticking with my lowish carb regime.

PS May I also thank Jimmy and his contributors for this valuable contribution to the debate. We are very privileged.
Also a good comment:

Anonymous
August 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm
OK, here’s the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047616/pdf/cc0917_3506.pdf

It states quite plainly that they took a ketone that comes from GLUCOSE-BURNING and injected it into lab mice. So, several points here:

1. Their claim is that ketONES cause cancer, not that ketOSIS causes cancer. Big difference.
2. They did not use a ketone from fat-burning. They used a ketone from sugar-burning.
3. This matters because you would not believe how many types of ketone exist in the world. I did not know you could get ketones from sugar-burning, but clearly you can. You can get several different types of ketones from fat-burning. The smelly stuff in nail polish remover is a ketone. There are several different types of ketones in plant essential oils. All of these serve different purposes and cause different responses in the human body. Some are poisonous, some are burned for fuel, some hardly seem to matter at all.
4. And this experiment wasn’t done on humans. Furthermore, I’m not even sure it was done on mice that were in ketosis. So if they had normal blood sugar, as I think some of the people you quoted above have pointed out, and then this ketone was injected into them, their bodies probably registered that and reacted to it in abnormal ways.

You would not believe the ignorance out there about ketones. I actually read once in an article about lavender essential oil that because it contains ketones, diabetics should not use it. That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever read in herbal literature, and I’m sure I’ve seen some quack claims made there over the years. It isn’t the ketones that kill a diabetic in ketoacidosis, anyway. It’s the high blood sugar and the metabolic acidosis. The ketones are there because the diabetic has become incapable of burning sugar AT ALL so they have to get energy from somewhere. Yes, the ketones probably contribute to the acidosis–but then so does the glucose!So yeah. Much ado about nothing. I’m annoyed.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals