My t-wave inversions are gone

Snicky

Where I live you have to get doctor’s permission to join gyms or participate in certain sporting events, etc., and an electrocardiogram is generally the first step.

In early 2019, two years before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, I had such an evaluation done and had to get an extra heart work up because of V1-V3 t-wave inversions found. I was ok’d to do all activity and they were considered unusual but not harmful… but I always was puzzled, wondering why I had that irregularity.

Fast forward to four months ago when I learned through this forum and Ray Peat’s writing (leading me to a study) that V1-V3 t-wave inversions can be caused by untreated hypothyroidism.

I had a new exam done today to get permission to enter a competition next month and I was very keen to see if these t-wave inversions would have persisted after two plus years of being on NDT. In the prep room I told the nurse of my interest and she said something to the effect that the thyroid is so complex and she never really fully got it all while in school and never knew it could lead to these cardiac irregularities. Anyways, the test came out normal… t-wave inversions gone.

I wish the cardiologist in 2019 might have told me that those inversions could be related to a developing thyroid condition. Was he even aware? I wonder. It certainly would have helped me figure out the path I was on (already with mild symptoms) and might have gotten me into treatment sooner… and spared me a bunch suffering and lost time.

David PS

@Snicky - Congratulations and thanks for reporting your success. Oftentimes, it takes years to bring about change. Health does not turn on a dime.

OP
S

Snicky

Thank you. This is a small win. My health issues were a long time in the making and I know I have to be patient because there is no quick fix.

Been otherwise feeling like I am in a setback lately with energy/mood, but am hoping the general trend is up…

This forum has been a helpful resource so far.

TheSir

Did the ecg interpret the inversions as a fascicular block? My inversions were diagnosed as a bening left anterior fascicular block which doesn't seem to have a clear cause.

OP
S

Snicky

Did the ecg interpret the inversions as a fascicular block? My inversions were diagnosed as a bening left anterior fascicular block which doesn't seem to have a clear cause.
Good question. I do not think so… it does not ring a bell for what I was told. I’m out of the country right now but when I get back, I’ll try to look at the old records and see what the details were. I think the v1-3 inversions resembled the ones that many adolescents have (esp. males, I think), particularly ones who are very athletic… like a juvenile presentation. But in my case ( female, definitely not adolescent and not an elite athlete), they made no sense…
that is until I found the article about hypothyroidism leading to these changes… and that seemed to explain it for me.

OP
S

Snicky

Here are some related sources:

Hypothyroidism

Study of woman presenting in ER with hypothyroid-related cardiac issues

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4840715/

3. Study on hypothyroid patients and related effects on ECGs like T-Wave Inversions, Bradycardia
Electrocardiographic changes in patients with hypothyroidism | BES2004 | 23rd Joint Meeting of the British Endocrine Societies with the European Federation of Endocrine Societies | Endocrine Abstracts

Just after diagnosis with Hashimoto’s I had an early miscarriage due to fetal bradycardia. I’ve now had two early miscarriages, both of which I believe are related to treated, but unresolved, thyroid/metabolic issues. 😔

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals