Photobiomodulation & Parkinson disease (PD)

David PS

Parkinson disease (PD), the second most common neurodegenerative disease, has no cure or applicable disease-modifying approach, only symptomatic therapy. Oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction play key roles in PD pathophysiology. It is the second most common neurodegenerative disease, affects approximately 1% of people aged >60 years.

Red and Infra-red light can penetrate tissue. However, getting the light into the brain is a difficult. The study below used strategies to work around the issue of of the light pentrating the brain protective skull. First, they used a longer period of time for the treatment and they used a wavelength with deeper penetration. It is estimated that only about 10% of the light will penetrate the skull.
Depth-and-Penatration-of-LED-Light-Therapy.jpg

The PBM apparatus was self-designed and manufactured by the original idea initiator (HYL). The light is composed of a light-emitting diode array (Model-102 NIR) with near-infrared (940 ±10 nm) wavelength and intensity of 6.0 mw/cm2 ± 10% with a 56.7-mA current. The light is designed to be placed on the posterior aspect of the neck midline, pointing to the midbrain (illustrated as Fig. Fig.2;2; Supplemental Figure shows PBM on one of the participants during treatment). Light therapy was conducted for 5 consecutive days (Monday–Friday) for each patient under the monitoring and assistance of a study nurse for 2 consecutive weeks. The light source was a light-emitting diode array with no direct skin contact. The estimated temperature elevation was approximately 1°C to 3°C after a 30-minute exposure.

Second, it appears that they aimed the light upwards from the back of the neck to avoid the skull.
1672746647643.png

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Infrared light (λ = 600–1070 nm) seems to be useful according to this article.

The article also indicates that Infrared has protective effects.
fnins-09-00500-g002.jpg

It indicated that it can be used directly through the scalp and skull.
fnins-09-00500-g003.jpg

It has been used for both Parkinson's (brain stem pathology) and Alzheimer's.
fnins-09-00500-g001.jpg

OP
David PS

David PS

Red light through the eyes to the brain?
It may be safe. I am no longer as careful with viewing red light as I was in the past. But I would caution against using it as the primarly method to get red light to the brain. Vielight has an nasal light product to do just that. However, the light is not very bright.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

In the US, companies and researchers can not claim that photobiomodulation cures or treats a disease with a multimillion dollar study to support the claim. Currently, they are permitted to discuss the positive effects that photobiomodulation has on mitochondria.

OP
David PS

David PS

Red light through the eyes to the brain?
There appears to be no need to put ones eyes at risk.
nihms934240f3.jpg

DonLore

There appears to be no need to put ones eyes at risk.
nihms934240f3.jpg

I have had no problems with red brooder heat light on my eyes and face. Of course too much is too much, but I feel when I have had enough. And my eyesight is always better for a few minutes after

OP
David PS

David PS

I have had no problems with red brooder heat light on my eyes and face. Of course too much is too much, but I feel when I have had enough. And my eyesight is always better for a few minutes after
I have a brooder light as well. Getting red light into the eyes is good. However for brain photobiomodulation (PBM) therapy, a brooder light does not appear to be to make a difference. Near infrared (NIR) can penetrate the scalp and skull. From the article above:
NIR light at 808 nm penetrated to a depth of 25–30 mm through rabbit brain tissue [6]. In addition, about 12% of 808 nm laser light could reach the rat midbrain [10]. Pig tissue is considered to best resemble human tissue in terms of dimensions and components. Aulakh et al. [89] used a freshly deceased pig head to measure penetration of 808 nm pulsed wave (PW) light, and found that 9.2% of light could reach a depth 5 mm into the brain. They also found that the use of higher output power and a longer pulse duty cycle could deliver a higher dose to deeper tissue [89]. Continuous wave (CW) laser light at 808 nm penetrated to a depth of roughly 8 mm in human brain tissue below the cortical surface [90]. Furthermore, 1.23% of 980 nm and 2.9% of 810 nm light from high-power laser devices could penetrate across 30 mm of skin, skull, and brain tissue [60]. In terms of gray and white matter transmittance, Yaroslavsky et al. [91] reported penetration depths of 0.79 mm (630 nm), 0.83 mm (670 nm), 0.9 mm (850 nm), and 1 mm (1064 nm) for white matter, and 4.06 mm (630 nm), 4.4 mm (670 nm), and 3.28 mm (1064 nm) for gray matter.

In addition, a comprehensive study conducted by Hart and Fitzgerald [92] determined the transmission of light over the range of 450–880 nm for human scalp, skull, and brain tissue. A value of 24% was reported for light transmittance at 740 nm for the scalp. Approximately 12% of light at 790 nm could penetrate through the temporal bone (6 mm thickness). The caudal region of the skull (6 mm thickness) showed maximum transmission of 7.5% at 770 nm, and the central crown region (10 mm thickness) showed peak transmission of 4.5% at 820 nm. Transmission of ~1% at 830 nm was also reported by the authors for fresh brain tissue (12 mm thickness).

Dave Clark

It may be safe. I am no longer as careful with viewing red light as I was in the past. But I would caution against using it as the primarly method to get red light to the brain. Vielight has an nasal light product to do just that. However, the light is not very bright.
Unless they improved something, I used Vielight for years, and got tired of having to replace the nasal light every 18 months {approx}. When I contacted them about it, they said it was normal, and I said it was unacceptable. It is about $100 to replace the light. I now use Miramate's nasal light, we'll see how they pan out.

OP
David PS

David PS

Unless they improved something, I used Vielight for years, and got tired of having to replace the nasal light every 18 months {approx}. When I contacted them about it, they said it was normal, and I said it was unacceptable. It is about $100 to replace the light. I now use Miramate's nasal light, we'll see how they pan out.
I still have Vielight's 810 nm intranasal device. I do not use it that frequently and that is probably why it still works, The higher the nm wavelength number the greater the penetration into the brain. There are both non-intranasal products and intranasal products on the market that include 850 nm and 880 nm and even 940 nm. Those are my go to wavelengths for now. Vielight was one of the first products on the market but I no longer think that they provide the most bang for the buck.

light_penetration_skin.png

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

DonLore

I have a brooder light as well. Getting red light into the eyes is good. However for brain photobiomodulation (PBM) therapy, a brooder light does not appear to be to make a difference. Near infrared (NIR) can penetrate the scalp and skull. From the article above:
Heat lamp does have infrared and near infrared though?

OP
David PS

David PS

Heat lamp does have infrared and near infrared though?
Yes, and sunlight has infrared and near infrared as well. The question in my mind is if there is sufficient infrared and near infrared energy to make a difference.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Figure 1. The five components of the glymphatic system. The fluid transport pathway is divided into five distinct segments: (1) cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is produced by the choroid plexus and likely by extrachoroidal sources (capillary influx and metabolic water production); (2) arterial wall pulsatility drives CSF deep into brain along perivascular spaces; (3) CSF enters the brain parenchyma supported by aquaporin-4 (AQP4) water channels and disperses within the neuropil; interstitial fluid (ISF) mixes with CSF, (4) accumulates in the perivenous space, and drains out of the brain via (5) meningeal and cervical lymphatic vessels, as well as along cranial and spinal nerves Fluids from both the brain and the cribriform plate drain into the cervical lymphatic vessels, which then empty into the venous system at the level of the subclavian veins. The olfactory/cervical lymphatic drainage route is the primary bulk flow pathway.
ijms-23-02975-g001.png

OP
David PS

David PS

The ‘‘Buckets’’: Early Observations on the Use of Red and Infrared Light Helmets in Parkinson’s Disease Patients

Abstract Background: Parkinson’s disease is a well-known neurological disorder with distinct motor signs and nonmotor symptoms.
Objective: We report on six patients with Parkinson’s disease that used in-house built photobiomodulation (PBM) helmets.
Methods: We used ‘‘buckets’’ lined with light-emitting diodes (LEDs) of wavelengths across the red to nearinfrared range (i.e., 670, 810, and 850 nm; n = 5) or an homemade intranasal LED device (660 nm; n = 1). Progress was assessed by the patients themselves, their spouse, or their attending medical practitioners. Results: We found that 55% of the initial signs and symptoms of the six patients showed overall improvement, whereas 43% stayed the same and only 2% got worse. We also found that PBM did not target a specific sign or symptom, with both motor and nonmotor ones being affected, depending on the patient.
Conclusions: In summary, our early observations are the first to note the impact of PBM on patients’ signs and symptoms over an extended period, up to 24 months, and lays the groundwork for further development to clinical trial.
Keywords: Parkinson’s disease, photobiomodulation, LED helmet, 670 nm, 810 nm

The device used in this study reminded me of a scaled down version of Dr. Emmitt Brown's device.

1674936197518.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Photobiomodulation improves cognitive brain functions during aging in animals and humans.

Photobiomodulation improves the brain energy metabolism during aging in animals and humans.

Photobiomodulation alters the neuroinflammatory profile aged animals.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals