Policosanol might be effective against COVID-19 and the spike protein

Mauritio

I've been wondering why I haven't come across any studies on the effectiveness of saturated fatty acids against SARS-cov-2/ the spike protein, since medium and long chain fatty acids like MCT, lauric acid and policosanol have been shown to have anti-viral activity.

Here ,this study showed an anti viral effect of metadichol (specifically against coronaviruses) ,which is a
"nano-emulsion of a type of lipid molecule called policosanol,...".

It also shows high effectiveness at inhibiting
TMPRSS2, which enables spike protein activation and viral entry.
So in other words policosanol is a spike protein antagonist.

On top of that it inhibits SARS-cov-2 replication directly in vitro.

Of course we dont know if regular policosanol does the same, but it has been shown to have anti viral activity before (Policosanol Is Antiviral And A Potent Inducer Of Anti-aging Gene Klotho) so I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a similar action.
So in light of that evidence ,it seems we found another weapon against coronaviruses and its spike protein, which people are exposed to through infection , shedding or vaccination.

"Naturally derived substances, such as long-chain saturated lipid alcohols, reduce the infectivity of various types of viruses, including coronaviruses such as SARS-COV-2, by modifying lipid-dependent attachment to human host cells. SARS-COV-2 uses the receptor ACE2 for entry and the serine protease TMPRSS2 for S protein priming.
Metadichol®, a nano lipid formulation of long-chain alcohols, has been shown to inhibit TMPRSS2 (EC50 96 ng/ml). Compared to the inhibitor camostat mesylate (EC50 26000 ng/ml), it is 270 times more potent. Additionally, Metadichol® is also a weak inhibitor of ACE2 at 31 µg/ml. Further a live virus assay in Caco2 cells, Metadichol® inhibited SARS-CoV-2 replication with an EC90 of 0.16 µg/ml."

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

...and let me stress that it was 270(!) times more effective at inhibiting TMPRSS2 than camostat ,which is a known protease inhibitor.

TMPRSS2 has been:

"linked to the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus receptor and activates virus entry"​

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Here's a case study showing metadichol [nano-policosanol] decreases TSH to about a third of what it was in hypothyroid patients. And it significantly increases vitamin C levels without supplementing it .
I think normal policosanol should be able to do the same as the nano-delivery is probably just for increasing bioavailability/ sales .

1639237246095.png

LeeLemonoil

I virtually surfed the net just yet with intent to search the Pubmed for policosanol + covid.
I clicked on RPF first, habitually.

And Mauritio once again on a roll!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I virtually surfed the net just yet with intent to search the Pubmed for policosanol + covid.
I clicked on RPF first, habitually.

And Mauritio once again on a roll!
Great synchronicity!
It just wouldn't have made sense if policosanol didn't work. But I gues it's too unknown and not patentable (hence the nano-policosanol) ,so there's few interest in studying it.
Of course of interest could be to help people and stop the pandemic, but we all know that's not really wanted.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great synchronicity!
It just wouldn't have made sense if policosanol didn't work. But I gues it's too unknown and not patentable (hence the nano-policosanol) ,so there's few interest in studying it.
Of course of interest could be to help people and stop the pandemic, but we all know that's not really wanted.

It is also kind of blacklisted by most "developed" countries for being "commie science" since most of the original research that made it known/famous was done by Cuban scientists in Cuba.
Great find btw! Glad to see the public now has yet another cheap, wide available anti-viral tool. It may synergize with vitamin E, as per the recent study below.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It is also kind of blacklisted by most "developed" countries for being "commie science" since most of the original research that made it known/famous was done by Cuban scientists in Cuba.
Great find btw! Glad to see the public now has yet another cheap, wide available anti-viral tool. It may synergize with vitamin E, as per the recent study below.
Yes , I've seen a study that said the cholesterol lowering effect was only achieved in Cuban studies . While I think the cholesterol lowering effect is one of the least interesting effects if policosanol, they should study thyroid, liver and androgen status much more. But as I said i dont think this is going to happen. Maybe in the form of metadichol studies...

Dr. B

the supplement subreddit thinks policosanol is all fraudulent but theyre only evaluating it as a cholesterol reducer, many people there think its fraudulent and dont know of its other effects

@haidut @Mauritio how does policosanol affect angiotensin? also are there benefits to using 40mg or 60mg a day of the sugarcane wax sourced policosanol, or do benefits stop after 20mg? its a pretty cheap supplement, so i was thinking of doing 60mg a day instead of 20mg of the biocosanols patented form swanson sells

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

the supplement subreddit thinks policosanol is all fraudulent but theyre only evaluating it as a cholesterol reducer, many people there think its fraudulent and dont know of its other effects

@haidut @Mauritio how does policosanol affect angiotensin? also are there benefits to using 40mg or 60mg a day of the sugarcane wax sourced policosanol, or do benefits stop after 20mg? its a pretty cheap supplement, so i was thinking of doing 60mg a day instead of 20mg of the biocosanols patented form swanson sells
Most human studies I've seen use around 20mg. That's what I've personally been using. There's a lot of animal studies using insane dosages like HED of 500mg, but I dont think that's necessary.
I remember someone in the policosanol thread mentioned something about it depleting CoQ10, so if i were to take higher doses, I'd read into that more.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

On the renin-angiotensin-aldotserone system:

Another goodie . I have previously (in this thread) talked about policosanols aldosterone lowering effects in Rats. Now this is a a human study . And it shows that 20mg/day of policosanols actually decreased aldosterone by 42 % ! 10mg only reduced it up to 35 % so if you want the full benefit go for 20 mg (I wonder what would have happened with 30 or 40 mg?)

"Aldosterone levels in all groups were 19–29 ng/dL at week 0, whereas, groups 2 and 3 showed significant reductions up to 35% (19.6 ± 2.1 ng/dL) and 42% (14 ± 1.5 ng/dL) respectively, compared with week 0. "

Long-Term Consumption of Cuban Policosanol Lowers Central and Brachial Blood Pressure and Improves Lipid Profile With Enhancement of Lipoprotein Properties in Healthy Korean Participants

Dr. B

Most human studies I've seen use around 20mg. That's what I've personally been using. There's a lot of animal studies using insane dosages like HED of 500mg, but I dont think that's necessary.
I remember someone in the policosanol thread mentioned something about it depleting CoQ10, so if i were to take higher doses, I'd read into that more.
do you know how 20mg compares to amounts in food like how much beeswax, sugar cane or wheat would you need to get 20mg policosanol
it raising the klotho gene makes it seem it may be safe to use and not deplete anything, it doesnt seem to be a vitamin/mineral like iron, zinc, etc which are having reactions and depleting some other mineral in the body etc

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

do you know how 20mg compares to amounts in food like how much beeswax, sugar cane or wheat would you need to get 20mg policosanol
it raising the klotho gene makes it seem it may be safe to use and not deplete anything, it doesnt seem to be a vitamin/mineral like iron, zinc, etc which are having reactions and depleting some other mineral in the body etc
No idea, but that seems like something you could easily google...

haidut

Forum Supporter

There was a study a few years ago, which estimated that most of Reddit's high-profile accounts are govt agents (or commercially paid shills) pushing an agenda. You only need to look at the fact that ALL studies with policosanol outside the Western world found at least some positive effects. There are Chinese, Indian, Brazilian, Russian, etc studies with it for many conditions and the vast majority of those studies not only find robust positive effects, they also show policosanol is much safer than statins or BP medication. In addition, some of those studies show that policosanol can not only stop by also reverse soft tissue calcification, which few other substances, except vitamin K, are known to do. Reddit can take a cold shower, most of its "elite" posters and mods, paid agents or not, are on psychotropic drugs and clearly deranged.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

There was a study a few years ago, which estimated that most of Reddit's high-profile accounts are govt agents (or commercially paid shills) pushing an agenda. You only need to look at the fact that ALL studies with policosanol outside the Western world found at least some positive effects. There are Chinese, Indian, Brazilian, Russian, etc studies with it for many conditions and the vast majority of those studies not only find robust positive effects, they also show policosanol is much safer than statins or BP medication. In addition, some of those studies show that policosanol can not only stop by also reverse soft tissue calcification, which few other substances, except vitamin K, are known to do. Reddit can take a cold shower, most of its "elite" posters and mods, paid agents or not, are on psychotropic drugs and clearly deranged.
But since you have your reddit account back ,you can take over georgi :D

I recently posted some stuff about finasteride causing penile fibrosis and serotonin beeing bad over there and got heavily downvoted . But one person was actually pretty open minded and thankful , so not all is lost.

Dr. B

oh wow
one of the high level mods there at supplements subreddit is like a director of research or someone high up in the research area of the legion supplements company. he apparently reads a lot of research stuff, likes coq10, pqq, vitamin k2, but for some reason thinks Peat is dumb and totally disagrees with Peat on pufa, policosanol, and a few other things. he claimed if policosanol was effective it would be removed from the market similar to red yeast extract or red rice extract or something like that

what dosage of policosanol is ideal though! it's one of the cheapest supplements and very obscure, you can easily dose it at 60mg a day before it starts getting pricy

golder

Just looking at those studies Mauritio - do we know the policossnol content in a serving of Georgia’s vitamin E?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Just looking at those studies Mauritio - do we know the policossnol content in a serving of Georgia’s vitamin E?
I think he mentioned an estimate somewhere, but I dont remember.

frannybananny

I think he mentioned an estimate somewhere, but I dont remember.
When you supplement with policosanol do you happen to notice if it makes you sleepy or influences your metabolism? I have some but have been hesitant to use it because many supps and vitamins make me either sleepy or keep me from sleeping. Yes, I have a very sensitive metabolism and am an insomniac so have to have a very disciplined timeline. I also only have 100 mg capsules of policosanol so it looks like I'll be opening up yet another supp and only taking a portion of it if the 20 mg is what is recommended.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals