Policosanol Is Antiviral And A Potent Inducer Of Anti-aging Gene Klotho

Momado965

@haidut is policosanol a PPAR alpha agonist since it is a PPAR gamma antagonist? Been wanting to experiment with a SDC1 hibitor to increase the ratio if sfa to pufa in fat tissue. I dont want to use berberine for PPAR alpha activation as far as I know its anti androgenic whereas policosanol is not. Also, I have a theory the tocopherols and policosanol saturate body fat through a similar enzymes to SDC1. Since both compounds on their own are quite potent antagonizers to unsaturated fats.

Dr. B

not sure if this has been posted here but it seems interesting

Inaut

not sure if this has been posted here but it seems interesting
So pretty much it helps to regulate hormone levels...I don’t read that as a bad thing

Dr. B

@haidut is policosanol a PPAR alpha agonist since it is a PPAR gamma antagonist? Been wanting to experiment with a SDC1 hibitor to increase the ratio if sfa to pufa in fat tissue. I dont want to use berberine for PPAR alpha activation as far as I know its anti androgenic whereas policosanol is not. Also, I have a theory the tocopherols and policosanol saturate body fat through a similar enzymes to SDC1. Since both compounds on their own are quite potent antagonizers to unsaturated fats.
What does policosanol do to unsaturated fats and how much do u use daily

Coderr

Would it be enough for me to eat 2 grams of beeswax every day for Policosanol?

Dr. B

Human studies show that 20mg daily is probably optimal as higher doses are not more beneficial for things like lowering cholesterol/inflammation, increasing endurance or lowering risk of CVD. That dose is more than enough to reach the picogram/ml concentrations the link above claims increased Klotho expression 4-10 times.
Mate I know Peat has also said 20mg is a good dose,
And I asked him about higher doses and he said something like higher amounts can affect digestion and assimilation of fats…

But for people doing poor metabolically or people who want an extra boost would there be benefits to taking 40mg policosanol instead of 20mg.

Additionally, like with everything else the source must matter… so the sugarcane wax and beeswax sourced policosanol are probably superior to the wheat germ sourced one…? Just considering beeswax and sugarcane compared to wheat germ which has PUFA in it normally and isnt a sugar or fruit or saturated fat…

Dr. B

@haidut on another thread someone mentioned policosanol lowering tsh. Would that mean its risky to use in people who have the low tsh form of hypothyroidism.

Also, are there risks to the cholesterol lowering effects of policisanol. If it lowers cholesterol wouldnt that mean it would reduce the androgens, progesterone, dhea, etc since the base material of cholesterol is being lowered. I noticed policosanol has a drying effect on scalp hair and it also seems to help the skin clear up. I was thinking that is related to the cholesterol lowering effect as well. Is it detrimental to take anything that lowers cholesterol including policosanol. For example the statin drugs, because of their cholesterol lowering effects reduce testosterone levels, reduce vitamin D and K2 production, among other effects. Wouldnt policosanol cause the same issues as those other cholesterol lowering drugs.

NathanK

@haidut on another thread someone mentioned policosanol lowering tsh. Would that mean its risky to use in people who have the low tsh form of hypothyroidism.

Also, are there risks to the cholesterol lowering effects of policisanol. If it lowers cholesterol wouldnt that mean it would reduce the androgens, progesterone, dhea, etc since the base material of cholesterol is being lowered. I noticed policosanol has a drying effect on scalp hair and it also seems to help the skin clear up. I was thinking that is related to the cholesterol lowering effect as well. Is it detrimental to take anything that lowers cholesterol including policosanol. For example the statin drugs, because of their cholesterol lowering effects reduce testosterone levels, reduce vitamin D and K2 production, among other effects. Wouldnt policosanol cause the same issues as those other cholesterol lowering drugs.
Not if is allowing your body to use cholesterol the way it's meant to. Ie. Converted to steroids. Statins largely inhibit the formation of cholesterol. I don't think this is what this does

Dr. B

Not if is allowing your body to use cholesterol the way it's meant to. Ie. Converted to steroids. Statins largely inhibit the formation of cholesterol. I don't think this is what this does

Does policosanol promote conversion of cholesterol to the steroids?

NathanK

Does policosanol promote conversion of cholesterol to the steroids?
I don't know how it works, but i don't think it blocks enzymes like statins. Probably helps the liver to do it's job better, which converts cho. I've only started reading about polycosanol this week. Sounds like it's similar in substance to stearic acid.

Dr. B

I don't know how it works, but i don't think it blocks enzymes like statins. Probably helps the liver to do it's job better, which converts cho. I've only started reading about polycosanol this week. Sounds like it's similar in substance to stearic acid.
Someone on here claimed it is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. Also its found naturally in things like wheat germ, the waxy part of sugarcane, beeswax.

NathanK

Someone on here claimed it is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. Also its found naturally in things like wheat germ, the waxy part of sugarcane, beeswax.
I don't think medical science knows much about this, or many, substances. Much less the body. I just read a review of it and it says one of the mechanisms they think it works is by inhibiting an enzyme (mevalonate) for cholesterol biI synthesis. The whole review sounded like a guess and based strictly around the high cholesterol bad/pro statin premise.

Ray was fairly positive on policosanols, but he was also always suspicious of substances that inhibited enzymes. Take it for what you will. I haven't seen anything to do with inhibiting 5AR. Might be speculation from the hair loss forums spreading.

The best way to know is to experiment and do labs. It seems like you've tried it and don't like it so you can probably move on. I just started mine at 25mg/day yesterday.

zorba990

The Klotho angle here is very interesting. There are many ways to enhance the liver's function and detoxify there, but the Kidneys not so much.
(bottom emphasis mine)
< 50%

Klotho Supplementation Reverses Renal Dysfunction and Interstitial Fibrosis in Remnant Kidney

Abstract​

Introduction: While recent investigations show that klotho exerts renoprotective actions, it has not been fully addressed whether klotho protein supplementation reverses renal damage. Methods: The impacts of subcutaneous klotho supplementation on rats with subtotal nephrectomy were examined. Animals were divided into 3 groups: group 1 (short remnant [SR]): remnant kidney for 4 weeks, group 2 (long remnant [LR]): remnant kidney for 12 weeks, and group 3 (klotho supplementation [KL]): klotho protein (20 μg/kg/day) supplementation on the remnant kidney. Blood pressure, blood and urine compositions with conventional methods such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and radioimmunoassay, kidney histology, and renal expressions of various genes were analyzed. In vitro studies were also performed to support in vivo findings. Results: Klotho protein supplementation decreased albuminuria (−43%), systolic blood pressure (−16%), fibroblast growth factor (FGF) 23 (−51%) and serum phosphate levels (−19%), renal angiotensin II concentration (−43%), fibrosis index (−70%), renal expressions of collagen I (−55%), and transforming growth factor β (−59%) (p < 0.05 for all). Klotho supplementation enhanced fractional excretion of phosphate (+45%), glomerular filtration rate (+76%), renal expressions of klotho (+148%), superoxide dismutase (+124%), and bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) 7 (+174%) (p < 0.05 for all). Conclusion: Our data indicated that klotho protein supplementation inactivated renal renin-angiotensin system, reducing blood pressure and albuminuria in remnant kidney. Furthermore, exogenous klotho protein supplementation elevated endogenous klotho expression to increase phosphate excretion with resultant reductions in FGF23 and serum phosphate. Finally, klotho supplementation reversed renal dysfunction and fibrosis in association with improved BMP7 in remnant kidney.

Dr. B

I don't think medical science knows much about this, or many, substances. Much less the body. I just read a review of it and it says one of the mechanisms they think it works is by inhibiting an enzyme (mevalonate) for cholesterol biI synthesis. The whole review sounded like a guess and based strictly around the high cholesterol bad/pro statin premise.

Ray was fairly positive on policosanols, but he was also always suspicious of substances that inhibited enzymes. Take it for what you will. I haven't seen anything to do with inhibiting 5AR. Might be speculation from the hair loss forums spreading.

The best way to know is to experiment and do labs. It seems like you've tried it and don't like it so you can probably move on. I just started mine at 25mg/day yesterday.

I think too much can disturb assimilation and digestion of fats.

It can affect the liver if fat isn’t digested in the normal ways.

Those are some of his comments on policosanol

I asked him

Is 20mg policosanol taken daily, safe if taken daily for many years

He said i think its safe at the right dose.

So im not sure if he was agreeing that 20mg is fine or not.

He said chewing sugar cane is the best way to get policosanols.

He said he doesnt think policosanol would block absorption of fat soluble supplements taken alongside it.

But i wonder if it interferes with digestion and assimilation of fats doesnt it mean it can reduce fat soluble vitamin absorption from food sources… and also affect cholesterol digestion

NathanK

I think too much can disturb assimilation and digestion of fats.

It can affect the liver if fat isn’t digested in the normal ways.

Those are some of his comments on policosanol

I asked him

Is 20mg policosanol taken daily, safe if taken daily for many years

He said i think its safe at the right dose.

So im not sure if he was agreeing that 20mg is fine or not.

He said chewing sugar cane is the best way to get policosanols.

He said he doesnt think policosanol would block absorption of fat soluble supplements taken alongside it.

But i wonder if it interferes with digestion and assimilation of fats doesnt it mean it can reduce fat soluble vitamin absorption from food sources… and also affect cholesterol digestion
Thanks. It sounds like it's reliant upon the particular individuals health and liver status. I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds to 25mg (that's what's in the NutriCost supplement I purchased). Probably would have been wiser to start with 10mg, but this is what it is

Dr. B

Thanks. It sounds like it's reliant upon the particular individuals health and liver status. I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds to 25mg (that's what's in the NutriCost supplement I purchased). Probably would have been wiser to start with 10mg, but this is what it is

The swansons brand uses the patented biocasanol from sugarcane wax. What does nutricost use? swansons even though its patented is fairly cheap. I think $8 for 60 capsules of 20mg. I wonder if the sugarcane wax ones would be superior to wheat germ sourced ones which nutricost may be using. I dont know if any supplements source it from beeswax

I noticed that it definitely seems to clear up the skin, and also has a drying effect on skin and hair. That was at 20mg daily. If i bumped to 40mg daily it seemed like it could cause weight gain or bloating and it made the skin more inflamed looking.

The fact that it noticeably clears up the skin and gets rid of oily skin and scalp, im thinking means it must affect some sex hormones? I believe Ray said estrogen actually promotes dry skin. So acne and oily skin is caused by maybe dhea or maybe cortisol? I also know that many of the drugs/supplements that cause hair loss also make the scalp more oily and often even the skin more oily. That includes dhea, pregnenolone, choline, vitamin A and Cbd supplements. I think people with high cortisol/cushings more often have acne.

Plus there are anti estrogenic substances that dont seem to cause acne. So it seems like it could be cortisol that gets raised from these different supplements? If cortisol comes from cholesterol, then something like policosanol would help lower it since it lowers cholesterol.
The only concern im thinking would be that any cholesterol lowering substance would lower both cortisol and other hormones that come from cholesterol like androgens. Supposedly progesterone and vitamin E do the same thing of lowering estrogen and cortisol but also lowering androgens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals