Polyunsaturated fatty acid intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in adults: a dose response meta-analysis of cohort studies

trinity

Hi all
I have been researching diabetes through the forum with many of the posts linking PUFA as one of the main causes of insulin resistance and so diabetes. Much scientific evidence as been referred to in these posts showing this correlation.
But I have come across this recent (2022) meta analysis which has contradicted much of the evidence posted in other RP threads.
I am now more confused than ever.
I would be very grateful if I could get your 2 cents worth.
Why is there such conflicting evidence? Am I missing something?

Elie

Forum Supporter
You'll have to pull each study they analyzed and read and analyze it separately.
No other micronutrients consumption trend mimics more closely the rise in the prevalence of various chronic diseases as the rise inPUFA consumption.
The findings of the study suggests an association in women but not in men.
Assuming this is true, it could be that there are certain factors in women's biochemistry and physiology that makes them more susceptible- more estrogen, less thyroid....

There are certainly other factors that influence the onset of T2D

Peatful

You'll have to pull each study they analyzed and read and analyze it separately.
No other micronutrients consumption trend mimics more closely the rise in the prevalence of various chronic diseases as the rise inPUFA consumption.
The findings of the study suggests an association in women but not in men.
Assuming this is true, it could be that there are certain factors in women's biochemistry and physiology that makes them more susceptible- more estrogen, less thyroid....

There are certainly other factors that influence the onset of T2D
+1

As usual, I’m at work, but I am curious as to who funded the study?

Elie

Forum Supporter
+1

As usual, I’m at work, but I am curious as to who funded the study?

Funding​

This study was supported by Young and Middle-aged Research Fund of Wannan Medical College (WK201902). Natural Science Foundation of Anhui Province (Youth Project) (1808085QH283).

Author information​

Authors and Affiliations​

1. School of Public Health, Wannan Medical College, No. 22, Wenchang West Road, Higher Education Park, Wuhu, 241000, People’s Republic of China
    Mingyuan Hu, Zhengmei Fang, Tao Zhang & Yan Chen

Elie

Forum Supporter
Also the conclusion doesn't say there is no relationship

Conclusions​

In this study, omega-3 PUFA and DHA intakes had nonlinear dose–response associations with T2D incidence. PUFA was likely to have different effects on T2D incidence. In addition, regional and sex differences in the relationship between T2D and PUFA were also observed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals