Principles Of Human Physiology (1920)

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"If the foods are properly chosen, and the diet contains sufficient milk, eggs, cheese, and meats, probably seventy-five grams a day is a safe intake. The special problem is to secure a diet in which the protein content is relatively high but which will not permit of protein putrefaction in the intestine. There can be little doubt that excessive protein consumption is to be condemned, but all studies on animals indicate that a fairly liberal protein intake is better than an abstemious regimen."

"Many hold it adequately demonstrated that if the body's energy needs (calorie needs) be adequately met by fat and carbohydrate, increased activity does not require increase in protein consumption. In other words, that the man whose energy requirement is 4000 calories actually requires no more protein than the man whose energy need is 2500 calories."

"In summary we may say that the general opinion seems to agree that protein should supply not more than 15 per cent of our daily calories and that the remaining 85 per cent must come from the non-protein nutrients; that is, fats and carbohydrates and usually by a combination of the two."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"Calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium are all base-formers, while sulfur, chlorine and phosphorus are acid-formers. In nature, however, potassium and sodium are usually combined with chlorine and sulfur as neutral salts. Hence, the acidity or basicity of a food ash is largely determined by the ratio of its calcium and magnesium to its phosphorus. In general, if the calcium and magnesium combined are in excess of the phosphorus in a food the reaction will be basic, and vice-versa. In this fact lies another argument for securing a liberal supply of calcium in our diet, especially since American diets in general tend to be too low in this element."

However:
"Sherman has given especial attention in recent years to our requirement for calcium. By various means he has arrived at the conclusion that the adult man should have at least 0.45 gram of calcium intake per day, and that safety demands a standard of 0.68 gram."

Travis

Well, that calcium intake is more in line with the WHO's RDI of 500mg than it is with the Food Nutrition Board's recommendation of 1,200 mg. I sense political involvement from the Dairy Industry!

I agree that modern text fail to see things holistically, and that the science of the '20's was adequate to describe the nuts and bolts of digestion. I have recently read a book from the '20's called The Secret of Life by George Lakhovsky. I love the way they wrote back then: so blunt and concise.

I came to a similar conclusion after realizing many books from the '60's were more informative than modern ones. Modern books have to many "biological unicorns", like the Na/K ATPase; a entity that probably doesn't do what they say it does. Gilbert Ling has presented data that show that cells behave more like a fixed-charge system, that does not even need an active transport mechanism for cations.

I think that I may take up reading this book that you posted here, as soon as I wrap up the few that I am reading right now.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Well, that calcium intake is more in line with the WHO's RDI of 500mg than it is with the Food Nutrition Board's recommendation of 1,200 mg. I sense political involvement from the Dairy Industry!

I agree that modern text fail to see things holistically, and that the science of the '20's was adequate to describe the nuts and bolts of digestion. I have recently read a book from the '20's called The Secret of Life by George Lakhovsky. I love the way they wrote back then: so blunt and concise.

I came to a similar conclusion after realizing many books from the '60's were more informative than modern ones. Modern books have to many "biological unicorns", like the Na/K ATPase; a entity that probably doesn't do what they say it does. Gilbert Ling has presented data that show that cells behave more like a fixed-charge system, that does not even need an active transport mechanism for cations.

I think that I may take up reading this book that you posted here, as soon as I wrap up the few that I am reading right now.
"If we do not yet know how to accurately prescribe the protein requirement, still less do we know how to state the calcium requirement. However, since the quart of milk a day method "works," we may well use it until we have at least learned some better way of accomplishing as good a result." :ss

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

"One of the most startling discoveries in this field of study has been the announcement by Hart and coworkers that the factor in cabbage, lettuce and liver ashes which enables the body to cure milk induced anemias is copper. Their discovery would link copper as an essential element for construction of hemoglobin and the utilization of iron."

"Finally, since the gastric juice contains hydrochloric acid, the more the secretion the higher the acidity. Furthermore, this acid is necessary to properly digest the proteins. Since candies and starches tend to reduce acidity, while proteins increase it, a diet too high in starch and sugar may prevent digestion of the protein. Again, since the acid is necessary to destroy certain fermentative organisms, too high a starch and sugar diet not only permits the organisms to live but allows them to ferment the sugars with actual production of alcohol and other fermentative poisons. In fact, it is possible to produce the effects of alcoholic intoxication by eating too much sugar."

"It was Metchnikoff who first showed that if we develop the sour milk bacterium in our intestines, this unicellular organism can efficiently reduce the population of bacteria that split our proteins into toxic substances. He showed that this change can be accomplished in two ways; either by eating cultures of these bacteria or by eating large quantities of the milk sugar on which they thrive."

"Take the observation of Bergeim, noted in a previous chapter, in regard to the power of lactose to increase the absorption and utilization of calcium. This lactose of milk sugar may accomplish, its end by developing the sour-milk bacteria, which in turn tend to increase the acidity of the region where calcium is absorbed. In an acid medium calcium forms salts that are more soluble, and hence more readily absorbed. The function of the lactose, or milk sugar, may be an indirect result of its effect on the intestinal bacteria and not because of its effect on calcium per se."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

upload_2016-10-9_17-50-30.png

Rafe

I also really enjoy the way this is written. More real teaching. Less a presentation of expertise ego. It's like having a conversation with someone who wants to explain something cool they just figured out. Very normal language. The colloid/crystalloid section is great. Well, all the sections you posted just fall right into place.:)

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I also really enjoy the way this is written. More real teaching. Less a presentation of expertise ego. It's like having a conversation with someone who wants to explain something cool they just figured out. Very normal language. The colloid/crystalloid section is great. Well, all the sections you posted just fall right into place.:)
Exactly: like having a conversation with someone that really knows his stuff and shares the information on the most comprehesible way.
We are in a transition period in which medicine can rely on decent techmology, so it's not a requirement for the professionals to be observant and competent enough to discover what's going on by themselves, but at the same time the techmology hasn't progressed enough to provide a diagnose by itself. It seems that we're stuck in a @Liubo..

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The art of invigorating and prolonging life ... and peptic precepts .. : Kitchiner, William, 1775?-1827 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
I should note that when you get to really old books like this one (1821), there's a lot to filter, really precarious knowledge back then, but there are still some good observations like this:

"The clearness of THE COMPLEXION is considered, the best criterion of a Man's being in good condition to which we add the appearance of the UNDER-LIP which is plump and rosy, in proportion to the healthy plethora of the constitution: this is a much more certain symptom of vigorous Health than any indication you can form from the appearance of the Tongue or the PULSE, which is another very uncertain and deceiving Index, the strength and frequency of which, not only varies in different persons, but in the same person in different circumstances and positions"
This is spot-on. Next time you go out, check the lips of those that are clearly healthy. In both, men and women it seems that they are wearing lipstick even when they're not. Veterinarians inspect pets by their tongue, looking for those aspects described, and they mention that when the animal has improper oxygenation, the tongue appears blue/purple, if I'm not wrong cyanosis is the term used when it comes to that coloration due to poor oxygenation/nourishment of peripheral tissue.

Dopamine

Yes thank you Amazoniac! i'll have to read this when I have time

moss

Thanks @Amazoniac, I especially love the old books!

So do I thanks, Amazoniac.
And as asinine as this is, I particularly like the end page Principles of Human Physiology.

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA

MEDICAL SCHOOL LIBRARY

THIS BOOK IS DUE ON THE LAST DATE
STAMPED BELOW

Books not returned on time are subject to a fine of 50c per volume after the third day overdue, increasing to $1.00 per volume after the sixth day. Books not in demand may be renewed if application is made before expiration of loan period.

2 8 1941

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks @Amazoniac, I especially love the old books!
Thank you! But I don't recommend that last one, there are much better ones..

Yes thank you Amazoniac! i'll have to read this when I have time
Judging by your avatar pic, you need to take off that helmet, I can sense I slight cranial expansion already. Or alternatively, you can stop learning, which also works..

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

So do I thanks, Amazoniac.
And as asinine as this is, I particularly like the end page Principles of Human Physiology.

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA

MEDICAL SCHOOL LIBRARY

THIS BOOK IS DUE ON THE LAST DATE
STAMPED BELOW

Books not returned on time are subject to a fine of 50c per volume after the third day overdue, increasing to $1.00 per volume after the sixth day. Books not in demand may be renewed if application is made before expiration of loan period.

2 8 1941
moss, check this, from:
(1912) Principles of human nutrition, a study in practical dietetics : Jordan, Whitman H. (Whitman Howard), 1851-1931 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
This book is really comprehensive in terms of considering all variables, like the effort of preparation, the prices of meals, and so on. Blossom, this one I highly recommend!

upload_2016-10-15_7-35-3.png

Dopamine

Judging by your avatar pic, you need to take off that helmet, I can sense I slight cranial expansion already. Or alternatively, you can stop learning, which also works..

I can squeeze in a little more. The bigger problem is my skin not having any blood flow...

L

lollipop

moss, check this, from:
(1912) Principles of human nutrition, a study in practical dietetics : Jordan, Whitman H. (Whitman Howard), 1851-1931 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
This book is really comprehensive in terms of considering all variables, like the effort of preparation, the prices of meals, and so on. Blossom, this one I highly recommend!

View attachment 3648
Very interesting @Amazoniac! Especially the grams of protein, fat, carbs per person per day AND the total calories. Where along the way did we as a society shift calories down sooo much? With even dieticians telling women to eat <1200 calories to lose fat. Crazy. That daily food list seems so normal and healthy to me: sugar, butter, meat, milk, cheese, potato etc.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Where along the way did we as a society shift calories down sooo much? With even dieticians telling women to eat <1200 calories to lose fat. Crazy.
I've often wondered about that too Lisa.

moss

moss, check this, from:

Thanks Amazoniac, I will have a look. Mrs Beeton would have approved of that day's supply for Six Persons.
She would have been horrified at the industrialization of food production.

View attachment 3648[/QUOTE]
Very interesting @Amazoniac! Especially the grams of protein, fat, carbs per person per day AND the total calories. Where along the way did we as a society shift calories down sooo much? With even dieticians telling women to eat <1200 calories to lose fat. Crazy. That daily food list seems so normal and healthy to me: sugar, butter, meat, milk, cheese, potato etc.

I've often wondered about that too Lisa.

Great questions Lisa

Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?

Our instincts give us a few clues about our nutritional needs, such as thirst, the hunger for salt, the pleasantness of sweet things, and the unpleasantness of certain odors or very acrid or bitter tastes. People who are constitutionally unable to taste certain bitter chemicals find certain vegetables less objectionable; their instinctive guidance has become less clear. But within the boundaries of cravings and disgust, habits and customs become the dominant forces in diet. "Professional dietitians" and other "experts" primarily function as enforcers of cultural prejudice.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals