Principles Of Human Physiology (1920)

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I don't know, but as the food supply degrated, so did our trust towards it. To realize that we are in ample control of our fate, brings a lot of pressure along, and it reflects on how we choose our foods, trying to manipulate what we eat and not relying on instincts anymore. As a consequence a decline in how we savor our meals and in satisfaction of being well-nourishment, but instead, eating to keep alive.

Travis

Ray Peat, although eloquent, puts it mildly; the situation has gotten much worse since the the time he wrote that article and Registered Dietitians, as a whole, are little more than corporate whores. The National Dietetics Association is sponsored by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, the National Dairy Council, ConAgra, General Mills, a Kellogg's ect. These corporate sponsors also provide the lecture fees and propaganda for continuing education credits; and what is taught to dietitians is ultimately in their control. Another perk in sponsoring the Dietetic Association...
...these companies not only have their own large budget for marketing these sessions, but also gain access to 70,000-plus RDs on AND’s email list.
A brief expose can be found here: And Now a Word From Our Sponsors
Registered dietitians are coerced into attending corporate propaganda events under the guise of "continuing education". They received four continuing education credits for attending Hershey's brainwashing event titled “From Nature to Nutrition: A Hands-on Exploration of Natural Cocoa from the Bean to Health Benefits”. From the premier 2012 meeting for "Dietitians", continuing education events included (sponsor in parentheses):

High Fructose Corn Syrup: Myths vs. Science (Corn Refiners Association)
Think Inside the Box: Increase Fiber with Food Ingredients (Kellogg Company)
Kids Are Drinking What?! (National Dairy Council)
You Have the Coolest Job! – RDs in the Food Industry (Hershey Center for Health & Nutrition)

LisaFerraro said:
With even dietitians telling women to eat <1200 calories to lose fat.
No doubt these dietitians attended the session "
Weight Management", sponsored by the Corn Refiners Association. I think they focus on food Calories alone because it doesn't directly incriminate any of their sponsors and puts the blame on the consumer. We all know that the simple calories in/calories out paradigm is a gross oversimplification.

(weight gain)∝(calories in)-(calories out)

There is no mention of metabolic rate. A more accurate paradigm would include a metabolic variable (k)...

(weight gain)∝k[(calories in)-(calories out)]

...that would depend on the specific type of food eaten and hormone levels. Ray Peat, among others, tells us that unsaturated fats, thiocyanates, cysteine, and tryptophan ect. all cause thyroid dysfunction and can potentially slow the metabolism. Many Registered Dietitians in this country are giving their clients dangerous advice; advice that was likely spoon-fed to them from powerful corporations.

This Dietitians as a whole are giving the worst possible dietary advice; and they are the ones with "legitimacy and authority." A concluding quote from the expose, made by astute observer Andi Bellatti:
Panelist Dr. Roger Clemens enthusiastically defended chemical additives while mocking survey results that showed how a significant portion of the public mistrusts the Food and Drug Administration. When I asked him why other countries have banned additives that the FDA has not, I was told it is simply a result of “a different group of scientists” arriving at “a different conclusion.” How convenient. What concerned me even more was how most of the audience appeared to find Dr. Clemens’ defense of additives humorous. Sadly, it appeared that Dr. Clemens did not have to work very hard to convince many dietitians that chemical additives were safe
[Statement made by Roger Clemens and paid for by Big Food's front group, the IFIC, with trustees from Coca-Cola, General Mills, Kraft Foods, and Mars; and funders: PepsiCo, Hershey’s, McDonald’s, Nestlé, and Monsanto.]

Last edited:
High Fructose Corn Syrup: Myths vs. Science (Corn Refiners Association)
Think Inside the Box: Increase Fiber with Food Ingredients (Kellogg Company)
Kids Are Drinking What?! (National Dairy Council)
You Have the Coolest Job! – RDs in the Food Industry (Hershey Center for Health & Nutrition)
Albeit unsavory, these entities are less harmfully unscientific than doctors who recommend flax, fish oil, keto diets, veganism etc

The more I think about it, the more I consider the year 1900 to be approximately the peak of our civilization, at least in terms of wealth distribution, equality under the law, property rights, freedom of movement of goods and people across national borders, education focused on critical thinking, nutritional science, food quality and abundance, and having the prospect of a bright future.

Travis

Albeit unsavory, these entities are less harmfully unscientific than doctors who recommend flax, fish oil, keto diets, veganism etc

They are actively promoting a fast-food junk diet. I don't agree with your implication that veganism is more "harmfully unscientific" than what these dietitians are taught as a whole. I think if you were to actually read the expose, you would come to the same conclusion.

Rafe

It's interesting to me that one of the hardest parts of beginning peating for me was becoming a fully functioning, autonomous, (the perceiving & thinking parts) human being again. I look back on my fear of eating sugar as a kind of shameful indicator of how far I had lost touch with my own instincts, that were right there on my own tongue and in my physical experience of feeling great when I ate it. And an aversion to the smell of pufa.
Then came separation from medicine. It's a neat unfolding of a complete Gestalt shift. I'm not done yet, probably, but I'm in a very nice place.
I had thought that the peaty analysis was fueled by a slow-burn anger, indignation. Today I'm thinking it's just reporting what you see. Well, I'm still indignant about nutrition & medicine harming people, especially the ones I love.

Great thread.

L

lollipop

It's interesting to me that one of the hardest parts of beginning peating for me was becoming a fully functioning, autonomous, (the perceiving & thinking parts) human being again.
:+1 I thought I was, especially because I was coming from the alternative/natural sector of thought. AND when I began reading and listening to Peat, it countered most ideas I held as truth. And yet, I felt intuitively he was on to something good. It took me one month of hours a day listening to him to convince myself he was correct about sugar, Aspirin etc. Ideas I had rejected.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The best way that I found to use the archive.org engine is to search for the key words, exclude all results but texts, then sort by published date, and then reverse the order, from the oldest to the newest. You can find books written by dinos, and really recent ones on a lot of subjects..

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The best way that I found to use the archive.org engine is to search for the key words, exclude all results but texts, then sort by published date, and then reverse the order, from the oldest to the newest. You can find books written by dinos, and really recent ones on a lot of subjects..
Thanks, I was wondering how you were finding these gems. I really enjoyed the book from 1820 that you didn't particularly recommend just because it gave a glimpse into daily life during that time and even referred back to the habits of people in the 1500's. Fascinating.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks, I was wondering how you were finding these gems. I really enjoyed the book from 1820 that you didn't particularly recommend just because it gave a glimpse into daily life during that time and even referred back to the habits of people in the 1500's. Fascinating.
Have you seen this? It's pretty comprehensive, but I haven't read enough of it yet. It doesn't seem to have that unifying narrative common to old books, but it's massive.
I'm not sure if I'm going to quote it because I want to keep the Ctrl, C and V keys on my keyboard intact.

Endocrinology and metabolism (1922) - vols.: 1 2 3 4 5

Last edited:

Jennifer

Since you guys are enjoying the old physiology books...

I came across these online catalogues of historical cookbooks years back when I was wrestling with the ethics of animal consumption and trying to gain an understanding of our history with food and cooking. I found them to be fascinating and thought some of you might, also?

bookFeeding America

Historic Cookbooks on line

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I came across these online catalogues of historical cookbooks years back when I was wrestling with the ethics of animal consumption and trying to gain an understanding of our history with food and cooking. I found them to be fascinating and thought some of you might, also?

bookFeeding America

What a cool surprise to see you around! I have no idea why when entities appear I'm always listening to something triumphant, good timing..

Jennifer

What a cool surprise to see you around! I have no idea why when entities appear I'm always listening to something triumphant, good timing..
Ooh...beautiful! He's not my favorite Gustavo, but he can hold his own. ;)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Have you seen this? It's pretty comprehensive, but I haven't read enough of it yet. It doesn't seem to have that unifying narrative common to old books, but it's massive.
I'm not sure if I'm going to quote it because I want to keep the Ctrl, C and V keys on my keyboard intact.

Endocrinology and metabolism (1922) - vols.: 1 2 3 4 5
Thank you for more wonderful books @Amazoniac! :kiss:

bookFeeding America

These are just up my alley @Jennifer! I love reading old cookbooks and trying out the recipes. :happy:

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

(1913) Text-book of general pathology : Pembrey, M. S. (Marcus Seymour), 1868-1934 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

"The intestinal movements depend upon local reflexes, which are produced by mechanical and chemical stimuli. Irritation of any part of the intestine gives rise to contraction above and relaxation below. This combination of a proximal contraction with a distal relaxation causes the contents to move onward, with the result that a wave of contraction, preceded by a wave of relaxation, passes down the intestine. Such a compound wave constitutes true peristalsis. Mechanical stimulation of the intestine is produced by the direct action of indigestible and undigested remnants of food, and by the distension they produce when mixed with the digestive juices. Fragments of vegetable food, consisting of indigestible cellulose, together with starch and protein, which have escaped digestion owing to their covering of cellulose, are the most important of the articles of diet which mechanically stimulate the intestinal movements. When the food is insufficiently chewed, lumps of undigested meat act in the same way."

"Chemical stimulation of the intestine is produced by certain constituents of the food and by the products of their digestion and bacterial decomposition. Sugar, whether present in the food or produced in the course of digestion of starch, which is itself inactive, stimulates peristalsis in the small intestine, but not in the colon, in which, however, it is only present in very small quantities. All parts of the intestine are stimulated by organic acids, such as acetic, butyric, tartaric, citric and lactic acids, which are either produced in the intestines by the fermentation of carbohydrates or are already present in vegetables and fruit. Undigested animal food produces no chemical stimulation, except for the extractives it contains, and these affect the small intestine only. Peptone acts as a feeble stimulant in the small intestine, and the amino-acids produced at a later stage of digestion act on all parts of the intestines. Of the products of the putrefaction of proteins in the colon, indol, phenol and skatol are inactive. Oil stimulates peristalsis in the small intestine, and the products of its digestion and bacterial decomposition glycerine, fatty acids and soaps are comparatively powerful stimulants, which act on the colon as well as on the small intestine. Carbon dioxide and marsh gas, produced by fermentation of carbohydrates, and sulphuretted hydrogen, produced by putrefaction of proteins, actively stimulate all parts of the intestines. Bile is a weak stimulant to peristalsis in the colon, but not in the small intestine. Pancreatic juice, water and normal saline solution at the body temperature have no action."

"The entrance of food into the stomach acts as a powerful stimulus to intestinal movements. X-ray observations have shown that there may be more progress in the passage of faeces through the colon during the hour in which dinner is eaten than in the previous four hours. This is mainly due to reflex stimulation of the intestinal movements, but it is undoubtedly aided by the psychical effect produced by the sight, smell and taste of food. The intestinal movements are increased by exercise, owing to mechanical stimulation by the variations in the intra-abdominal pressure, caused by the increased respiratory excursions of the diaphragm and by the contraction of the abdominal and psoas and iliacus muscles."

"Of the enormous number of bacteria, which are daily introduced into the stomach, only a small proportion remain undestroyed by the hydrochloric acid and pass into the intestine. Under normal conditions the activity of the bacteria, which are not destroyed by the acid, seems to be inhibited by it; as fermentation does not occur in the stomach except when an excessive quantity of food is taken, and the occurrence of putrefaction of proteins is always pathological.
Fermentation and putrefaction may occur in the stomach, when the quantity of hydrochloric acid present is deficient and when the evacuation of the stomach is abnormally slow, but the latter is of much greater importance than the former. Well-marked gastric hypersecretion does not prevent fermentation from occurring in the stomach if stasis is present ; thus the continuous hypersecretion which occurs when an ulcer is situated at the pylorus, is associated with excessive fermentation, as the passage of food into the duodenum is simultaneously delayed. In pyloric obstruction due to cancer free hydrochloric acid is generally absent and active hydrochloric acid is much diminished, and at the same time there is a considerable degree of stasis. The excessive bacterial decomposition, which invariably occurs, diminishes and often entirely disappears after gastro-enterostomy, although this only relieves the stasis without influencing the secretion of hydrochloric acid."

"The only organisms, which can flourish in the stomach when the secretion of the hydrochloric acid is normal or excessive, are those which give rise to alcoholic fermentation, by which cane-sugar, lactose and dextrose are broken up, and alcohol, which may further undergo acetic acid fermentation, and carbon dioxide, are produced. When hydrochloric acid is deficient, lactic acid fermentation is more prominent, lactose being decomposed and lactic acid, carbon dioxide and hydrogen produced. The lactic acid may undergo further decomposition, butyric acid and a further quantity of carbon dioxide and hydrogen resulting. Small quantities of acetic and formic acids and of marsh gas may also be formed. The organic acids produced by fermentation irritate the gastric mucous membrane and may give rise to gastritis."

"Putrefaction only occurs in the stomach in severe cases of combined motor and secretory insufficiency, except for a short period in the acute indigestion, which may follow the rapid consumption of a large and indigestible meal. It never occurs to any considerable extent, as both hydrochloric acid and lactic acid inhibit the development of putrefactive bacteria."

"The products of bacterial decomposition in the intestine only appear in small quantities in the faeces and flatus. The greater part is absorbed, the carbon dioxide being exhaled by the lungs, and the organic acids and bases being oxidized in the blood or excreted in the urine, unaltered, as ethereal sulphates, or combined with glycuronic acid."

"The moderate degree of intestinal stasis which occurs in constipation is not associated with increased decomposition; it has, indeed, been found that in most cases of constipation the number of bacteria in the stools and the amount of putrefaction in the alimentary canal are diminished."

"But if for any reason digestion in the small intestine is deficient, the increased quantity of protein or carbohydrate which reaches the colon leads to an increase in putrefaction or fermentation."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals