Raw Carrot And Side Effects

K

Kayaker

your pic looks like an eggplant, I showed it to my husband and he agrees - No one here enjoys eggplant although my mom used to purchase Japanese eggplant and they were more easily tolerated.
That is indeed an emoji of an eggplant. This, on the other hand, is a photo of purple carrots.
Purple%20Carrot.jpg

L

LauriePartridge

I get dark circles under eyes shortly after eating carrot salad.
Could it be oxalates (carrots are rich in oxalates) ? I wash grated carrot and drink a bit milk right after just in case.

When I experminted with eating lentils everyday for lunch in the past I was getting same dark circles...it was enough to discontinue with lentils
raw carrots are very high in oxalates which is why I can't tolerate them.

L

LauriePartridge

3 carrots is probably too many because of the beta-carotene. This is something Dr Peat has warned about, and why he recommends no more than a single carrot per day, shredded with coconut oil and white vinegar. The beta-carotene is apparently anti-thyroid and can cause issues with many people.
True. White carrots have only trace amounts of beta carotene and can be a substitute for the orange. Even yellow ones have significantly less beta carotene.

Ynot

I remember when I first started the raw carrot salad I had a reaction... I felt super sleepy! (I never have that) but that's when I knew it was doing "something". I have gotten lazy and just eat a small raw carrot every day (if I remember!)

Gustav3Y

I have had headaches install quickly after eating a raw carrot, reason why I don't even try it.
But then I am not really having constipation to really need carrots quickly bowel moment effects, which may cause loose stool for me and even belly aches.
Acquaintances seem be very happy about eating carrot salad since they had chronic constipation and this was helpful for them.

I have to say I am impressed to see Ray knowledge these issues from carrots, like headaches and diarrhea. I think it should come with a warning really not advertised as one size fits all approach.

docall18

IME you need to start carrots slowly to get used to them. Too much can irritate my stomach causing headache. Small amounts is great tho.

cascara

I think the carrot salad is more potent than eating just carrots. Its about finding the balance. I get too runny when I do salad, so i mainly do a whole carrot or a few baby carrots

Raw carrots taste a bit too sweet for me. I don't mind sweet things but not in a salad unless it is a fruit salad.
I like raw carrot salad but I'll mix in some freshly chopped raw radishes as well and sprinkle on some apple cider vinegar, good stuff.

Also, sometimes I'll throw in some parsnips as they have a similar texture to carrots but are a bit more bitter tasting to me.

L

LauriePartridge

Interesting, I wish I knew where to obtain superior white carrots near me.
You can buy the bunches of organic rainbow carrots at Sprouts. Not the baby ones but the full sized. I pick the bunch that that has the most white and yellow ones and don't eat the orange or purple ones. Sometimes you can find them at Whole Foods or Natural Grocers.

sladerunner69

You can buy the bunches of organic rainbow carrots at Sprouts. Not the baby ones but the full sized. I pick the bunch that that has the most white and yellow ones and don't eat the orange or purple ones. Sometimes you can find them at Whole Foods or Natural Grocers.

I go to sprouts quite often, I have not seen the rainbow ones at my location. Why not the purple ones? Also high in beta-carotene?

L

LauriePartridge

I go to sprouts quite often, I have not seen the rainbow ones at my location. Why not the purple ones? Also high in beta-carotene?
That is funny because I thought of you today as I got a huge bag of rainbow carrots at Sprouts and they had tons of white ones in it. But they only had one bag. I guess it's hit or miss. Whole Foods had one too but not as many white carrots and it was the 365 brand. Sometimes Natural Grocers will sell loose white and yellow ones but I haven't seen them there for a long time. You could ask the produce manager at Sprouts when they carry the rainbow carrots or if you could order them.

Yes the purple are quite high in beta carotene about the same as orange. So it sounds weird the but the World Carrot Museum (who would have guessed there is a museum about carrots lol) discusses the different varieties and they quote the 2004 journal article that researched the carotene content in each type. If you scroll down on the website page you'll see the chart. I just couldn't find that information anywhere else when I was researching but I suspected the white carrot to have very little because generally white vegetables don't contain much if any beta carotene.

whitecarrot.html

Also I snapped a picture of the bag I bought today. I already used most of the white ones for a soup. But in the bag you'll see a few white, yellow, orange and only one purple.

The other pic is what they look like cooked. I boil them for 30 minutes to reduce the oxalates which really defeats the purpose of the raw carrot salad but oh well. So in the pic is mostly white with a few yellow in comparison. The white are sort of creamy looking and look like a parsnip almost.

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 14

sladerunner69

That is funny because I thought of you today as I got a huge bag of rainbow carrots at Sprouts and they had tons of white ones in it. But they only had one bag. I guess it's hit or miss. Whole Foods had one too but not as many white carrots and it was the 365 brand. Sometimes Natural Grocers will sell loose white and yellow ones but I haven't seen them there for a long time. You could ask the produce manager at Sprouts when they carry the rainbow carrots or if you could order them.

Yes the purple are quite high in beta carotene about the same as orange. So it sounds weird the but the World Carrot Museum (who would have guessed there is a museum about carrots lol) discusses the different varieties and they quote the 2004 journal article that researched the carotene content in each type. If you scroll down on the website page you'll see the chart. I just couldn't find that information anywhere else when I was researching but I suspected the white carrot to have very little because generally white vegetables don't contain much if any beta carotene.

whitecarrot.html

Also I snapped a picture of the bag I bought today. I already used most of the white ones for a soup. But in the bag you'll see a few white, yellow, orange and only one purple.

The other pic is what they look like cooked. I boil them for 30 minutes to reduce the oxalates which really defeats the purpose of the raw carrot salad but oh well. So in the pic is mostly white with a few yellow in comparison. The white are sort of creamy looking and look like a parsnip almost.

I was at Sprouts earlier and I did find the bag of rainbow carrots. I usually by a bunch of loose carrots, not bagged. According to the World Carrot Museum's website, white carrots are the original carrot and used to be quite common throughout Europe. I wonder in what way the variety of carrot in a particular region is related to the history and culture of it's people? It is a shame to think that this unholy transition to the beta-carotene tainted orange carrot may have been the catalyst for war, disease, famine and general chaos over the centuries. Anyways I happen to really like boiled carrots or pickled carrots but almost never eat them due to this! I am excited to begin my life anew, resolved by the arcane wisdom and spirit of both the white and yellow carrot!

K

Kayaker

whitecarrot.html
(This person left) In the picture of purple carrots I attached earlier, you can see that the core of them is orange. Maybe if you only grate the outer layer, you'll get the purple anthocyanins, which the white carrots don't have, and in other words, "have your cake and eat it too".

LadyRae

When many people eat the raw carrot salad or white button mushrooms it can rapidly enhance the metabolism which can lead to low blood sugar if there is not enough food reserves available.

Having a full breakfast could be good then 1 hour later have the salad and be ready with food 1-2 hours after.

I always do mushrooms or carrot first thing in the morning, but I need to have food ready or else I get wired and head can start feeling funny.
THIS ☝️🔥. I put some organic raisins in my carrot salad, apple cider vinegar, along with chopped dill pickle and tandoori seasoning, nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals