Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

gretchen

I learned over the weekend that Jello is made from pig skin. So adios, Jello. I'm not Jewish but pork is not something I can eat. :--(

So am I correct in garnering from this that chicken stock made from pastured carcasses/feet would not be good to consume? I really hate beef stock. :cry:

HDD

Hi Violet! Chicken stock is fine. Just skim off the fat after you refrigerate. I prefer chicken stock also.

pboy

When describing a Peat approach to someone...this is generally how I present it (based on Charlies first post and what I've read), tell me if I should adjust

General Peat approach - (To keep stress low, and to keep metabolism and thyroid function high, which protects against most forms of disease and infection)
- Maintain adequate mineral and electrolyte supply, avoid eating Polyunsaturated fats, maintain adequate blood sugar and circulating protein, keep iron intake low

To obtain necessary minerals, but ideally not eaten much more than that - (Mainly supplying Vitamin A, D, Zinc, Selenium, Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Copper, and Chromium)
- Whole Milk, Cheese, Chocolate, Eggs, Beef Liver, Oysters, Shellfish

Ideal Energy sources - (To be eaten throughout day to maintain steady blood sugar / circulating protein)
- Skimmed Milk, Orange Juice, Coffee + Sugar
Protective Energy sources but not as ideal as above -
- Tea (or other caffeine herbs) + Sugar, Mexican Coke, Ghee, Butter, Cream, Tallow (from beef/lamb), Coconut oil, Cocoa butter, Papaya, Pineapple, Coconut Water,
Grape, Cherry, Lychee, Potato

Salt - (to maintain sodium levels)
- Any pure salt without additives, to taste

Potential beneficial supplements - (Could help individuals in various health situations and generally safe)
- Gelatin, Calcium from eggshell, Bone Broth or Soup (Ideally from beef/lamb), Organ meat / Offal (Ideally from beef/lamb), Raw Carrot, Bamboo Shoots, Various forms of Thyroid, Pregnenalone, Progesterone, Vitamin A, E, D, Niacin, Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Aspirin, Baking Soda, Very bright incandescent (possibly LED) lighting

pboy

(to add to above)

Potential beneficial supplements - walking, sunlight, breathing in high elevation air / high CO2 content air

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When describing a Peat approach to someone...this is generally how I present it (based on Charlies first post and what I've read), tell me if I should adjust

Looks pretty good. I will throw in some notes.

Ideal Energy sources - (To be eaten throughout day to maintain steady blood sugar / circulating protein)
- Skimmed Milk, Orange Juice, Coffee + Sugar
Protective Energy sources but not as ideal as above -
- Tea (or other caffeine herbs) + Sugar, Mexican Coke, Ghee, Butter, Cream, Tallow (from beef/lamb), Coconut oil, Cocoa butter, Papaya, Pineapple, Coconut Water,
Grape, Cherry, Lychee, Potato

Salt - (to maintain sodium levels)
- Any pure salt without additives, to taste

Make sure OJ is pulp free. I think Ray Peat does 1% or 2% milk. Not sure about tea, I thought it was high in fluoride? Pineapple is high in estrogen, or was it serotonin? For optimal results for most people it seems, drop the potato.

Potential beneficial supplements - (Could help individuals in various health situations and generally safe)
- Gelatin, Calcium from eggshell, Bone Broth or Soup (Ideally from beef/lamb), Organ meat / Offal (Ideally from beef/lamb), Raw Carrot, Bamboo Shoots, Various forms of Thyroid, Pregnenalone, Progesterone, Vitamin A, E, D, Niacin, Iodine, Zinc, Selenium, Aspirin, Baking Soda, Very bright incandescent (possibly LED) lighting

Could add some vitamin K in especially if taking aspirin.

pboy

anybody know what Peat thinks about annatto that might be used for coloring in cheese? (orange color) Im guessing its too small of an amount to matter, but curious if he's ever talked about it

Stunning4keke

what is wrong with potato? why drop the potato Charlie?

what is the difference between incandescent & LED? does anyone have a good resource for some light bulbs as i would like to purchase some right now.

thanks!

Dutchie

Jenn said:
annatto =beta carotene=pufa

-Jenn
But if beta carotene is pufa,how would it be possible to eat anything besides milk bc all aproved veggies and fruit get their color from betacarotene?

pboy

j. said:
Stunning4keke said:
what is wrong with potato? why drop the potato Charlie?

what is the difference between incandescent & LED? does anyone have a good resource for some light bulbs as i would like to purchase some right now.

thanks!

A few of these is what many people are using: http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-250BR40H ... B003P1MQDK

It's less expensive at other places.
I bought one just like that, haven't set it up yet, but its red...for some reason I thought the red was better....or is it worse? Thanks

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Clear is best.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The red tint will let less light through. Dimming the effect.

jjones

Hi! I'm new to this stuff, coming from autoimmune Paleo diet, regular Paleo. GAPS, SCD, I've done most for a time and then something doesn't work and I have a new problem or sensitivity with foods. I started the Peat guidelines a week ago. I have Hashimotos and take thyroid meds and trying to fix gut, adrenal and metabolism problems by eating correctly. I have been wheat free and except for a little rice, grain free for almost 2 years and mostly sugar and dairy free.

My main question is what are the percents or ratios of C to P to F? Should I eat the highest percentage of protein daily or for each meal and then carbs and fats in what amts? How much fruit with meat? What would a dinner meal look like if I had 6oz grass fed beef w/gelatin...what else can I eat? It seems very hard to get any calories unless I eat lots of fat. I had the same problem with regular Paleo, lots of fats, mostly PUFAs unfortunately, because meat and veg don't give you many calories. I lost weight continually until I added in some rice.

Guidelines of food lists are helpful but how do you eat it in balance to get the physiological results that are so compelling? Sample meals with amounts of C,F,P would be helpful and daily totals, as well. I don't know if I'm eating too much protein with not enough carbs. Should I eat fruit like cherries with a meal?

I am keeping a food log and temp/pulse log for each meal. Seem to only be able to eat 4 times a day and getting 1400 calories is my max so far.

Any info/resources would be greatly appreciated!

J

jjones

I'm using grassfed, non homogenized, pasteurized whole milk. It is 8g fats, 12 carbs, 8 protein. So, my fats and proteins should be about equal in a meal? Carbs about 1/3 - 1/2 more? How much per meal? Milk is one food, if I have a glass of milk with a meal, how much more do I eat? Oj would boost the carbs way up so then I would need to add more protein/fat? What else adds carbs to a meal besides milk and fruit? Starches are not recommended...are potatoes a carb or protein?

Reading the info is one thing and it really makes sense, but trying to do it myself with food is very confusing. If food content and balance are super important, there should be some specific ways to know what a Peat balanced meal looks like and why. How much oj in a day and how much whole fruit for carbs? Are carbs the main source of calories? I keep ending up with fat as the main calorie source.

Thanks for any and all info, suggestions, ideas. I'm sticking with it and trying to figure it out as I go! I appreciate all the help!

Mittir

You have to find out your caloric requirement using those height, weight and activity formula.
RP once said equal amount of fat, protein and carb is fine in general. Depending on quality of food
and metabolic condition one can make changes to that ratio. He also mentioned that for an average 2000 cal diet
185 to 250 grams of carb, that is about 33 to 50 percent carb. You need at least 80 grams protein and for a hypothyroid person he think 80-100 grams protein is sufficient. You can increase protein once your metabolism is fixed.
Excess tryptophan, cysteine and methionine can block thyroid. Small frequent meals of carb, protein and saturated fat
are suggested for steady blood sugar. But most protein should be eaten during day time . Sugar and fat should be consumed after sunset. Sugar ( fruit juice, honey, table sugar) increases metabolism and free of PUFA,
so it is preferable to have more carb instead of fat. Even butter and coconut oil have 2 percent PUFA.
You want to limit your PUFA intake below 4 grams .Muscle meats are anti thyroid. 4-6 oz of liver per week
and 4-8 oz of seafood are essential too.1 quart of milk = 50 grams of sugar, 1 quart of OJ = 100 grams of sugar.

jjones

As I wrote earlier, I can barely get to 1400 calories and mostly protein and fats are higher. If I have oj with breakfast and lunch, I have had a lot of sugar in the day. However, to eat more carbs/sugar than protein, I have to have a source of high carbs that are not pufas.

I appreciate your info here, because it gives me some guidelines. I don't know the H/W/Activity formula. But I am 5'5" and 120lbs. Activity is mild right now, mostly due to hypothyroid which doesn't allow for too much exercise other than some walking.

After sunset, I usually don't eat anything, although I have added a small balanced snack at about 8:30. My morning temps are low around 97.2 and then rise to normal in the day and about 98.1-98.3 at bedtime. I guess my main concern is not getting overloads of sugar that raise my blood sugar. I was balancing my sugar fine on the paleo diet with no sugars or grains and was not hypoglycemic. I do think however that there was a stress on my adrenals and liver to keep my glucose up and it has or will take its toll on my overall health. I want to regulate my metabolism and tried doing it with burning fats. Not sure that was working or good for my metabolic system. I'm trying to switch back to carb burning using natural sugars/fruits and no pufas. Do you count gelatin, like Great Lakes as a meal protein source or just a snack? I'm not into liver yet and tend to eat more muscle meats with the extra gelatin. Any other protein suggestions? Some say organic greek yogurt is ok. What about daytime carb suggestions, besides oj? What's a typical lunch, just foods not amounts?

This seems kind of familiar to me and I always balanced C,F,P for even blood sugar, but just using different foods. I remember back in the day, Barry Sears saying, " If you want to eat a Snickers, that's fine, just have a bowl of cottage cheese with it." I mean, I'm not for eating snickers, but this is a similar mentality of eating sugars with protein and fat, just no pufas.

Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals